What time?

Hey guys, I've started a photography course and one of the assignments is to shoot a street shot with the shutter

speeds of 1/2, 1/4 1/8 and 1/15. But the Light meter has to be in the center at 0. Does anyone know what time of

day would be good? I've tried around 1-2pm during my lunch break and even around 5 and the light meter keeps at +2

over exposed. My aperture is at f/1.8. Any idea?

>>> Does anyone know what time of day would be good?

Not related at all to your shutter speed experiments. But for street shooting, if you can shoot in the very late afternoon,

you'll more likely find light that's less harsh and more pleasing.

www.citysnaps.net

Amir, something's not adding up. Are you shooting entirely in manual mode? What sort of camera (digital? film?). If digital, are you setting the ISO to as low a number as possible? If film, are you using the slowest film possible?

If you take control of all three factors: sensitivity (film speed or ISO setting), aperture, and shutter speed... you'll be able to get just what you want.

I'm using a 300d Rebel, ISO is at 100, Apreture setting is 1.8 and shutter speed is set to 0"4( which im guessing

1/2), then 1/4, 1/8 and 1/15..The shot looks fine when I shoot it, but the light meter in the camera says im over

exposing by alot, it doesn't get better like around +1 til I set the Apreture to 22.

A light meter is based on 18% gray, so it often gives you some false information. When you shot in day light, usually the scene is brighter than 18% gray and it needs overexposure than the light meter indicated. When you use a gray card (18% gray), a light meter could give you more accurate information.

Try to shoot in the late afternoon around 5 pm to see what would happen.

Using Sunny 16, you could shoot in bright sunlight at ISO 100 at 1/100 @f16. In heavy shade you would get about 3 more stops, down to 1/25. Now we're getting close. Bump the aperture to f22 and you can go to 1/10. Add a ND filter or a circular polarizer and you get another 2 stops. Now we're down to about 1/2 second. Another thought - pick a couldy day. Or, shoot at dusk or night. That's fun!

Beg/borrow a neutral density filter or polarizing filter. That will push you over the edge into the "0" zone. Alternatively, wait until the late afternoon/early evening, at which time you will likely not even need to stop down to f/22.