Setting up a phot area for taking photos for eBay.

I would like to know the best way to set up an area at my home to take pic's for items I sell on ebay. I have a great

digital camera. I need to know how to set up back ground and lighting. I don't have a lot of money to spent right now.

Can anyone help me with ideas? Thank you Julie

What you want is a clear background. I found some poster board at an art supply store.

You want diffused lighting. You also want to set your cameras white balance to manual mode to match the light source. You can use RAW if your camera allows at set the white point when converting.

I have always found that sharp, well exposed pictures and a complete description get more interest in an item.

You don't need to spend a lot to take good eBay photos. Fill the frame, make sure the subject is sharp and well

lit, and you will be successful.

I use a little Nikon P&S digicam with a macro mode, a tripod, a shaded north facing window (for indirect diffuse

lighting), a piece of neutral fabric for a seamless background, and a piece of white foam board for a reflector

to fill in the shadows. All my photos are taking using natural light, no flash, with manual white balance. Total

cost of my "studio" setup (less the camera gear of course): under $10. The small sensor and very short focal

length of the digicam lens means I get very good depth of field, even when shot wide open. Of course the drawback

with my solution is that I am limited to taking photos during the day when the light is reasonably bright. But

it's worked very well for me for years. :-)

Here's a typical shot:<div>00Ptq8-50759684.jpg.1b966745b7d944e7e0d8610b0c99b67c.jpg</div>

There are plenty of ideas on the web:<p>

Bill Huber has a very nicely described <a href="http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box_light_tent">PVC based plan here</a> that I've made and used. It works very well. Following this is a sample shot I took using it.<p>

Here are a couple of cardboard box based plans that cost next to nothing:<p>

<a href="http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/how-to-make-a-inexpensive-light-tent/">Inexpensive cardboard light tent</a><p>

<a href="http://freshfodder.wordpress.com/2007/01/03/diy-ebay-photo-studio-0/">Another cardboard box tent</a><p><div>00Ptqo-50761584.jpg.e940d11f3e943f676040480f9b76d107.jpg</div>

I'm not a pro, but here's what I do. I take a small round table and put a gold throw blanket on top. Then I drag it to the

window in my sunroom. Then I take my DSLR, drag the ISO up to about 400-800, put my macro lens on, turn on

image stabilization, turn it to JPEG low resolution, and then try to keep the shutter speed moderately up.

Sometimes I hold the stuff with one hand while shooting one handed.

The pictures look fine. I'm carbon_dragon on ebay and I'm selling off some of my old photo stuff so you can go see

how those pictures turn out. It's not super great, but it's pretty good. You should be able to get a sense of whether

the quality level works for you. I then upload the pictures to ebay so they get downsized anyway.