Going to New York for 1st time!

I'm going to NY for the 1st time ever and need a good Point & Shoot. I'd like a

large viewfinder (2.5 or up), 5x optical zoom, light and flat, 7mp or up, image

stablizing would be nice. I'm an amateur DSLR guy, but I don't want to take my

Canon 5D walking around the streets of NY. I'm not brand specific on this

subject. I'd like to see what has good noise reduction at higher ISO's. I know this

is a broad topic, but there are soooo many point and shoots out that I was getting

bogged done with reviews. Just looking for some good personal opinions. All

anwers will be highly appreciated!

Don't be afraid to use your DSLR in NYC. It's much, much, much safer than you imagine. I've seen too many tourist with large DSLRs and big lenses, 24-70, 70-200, etc. I've seen people with 2 or 3 Canon 1 series DSLRs with all L lenses on their necks (probably photo journalist). I also pretended I am a tourist once in a while. I've lived and worked in NYC for 30 years and I can see the progress. If you really want a p&s camera, I recommend the Canon A series. They are resonably priced with all manual controls. The longer zoom costs more (about $300) . The shorter zoom (up to 4x) mostly costs less than $200.

The 5D is a fine camera. I plan on traveling to NYC in July, my son is currently

residing there and I'm taking my 5D.

I know a lady who had a Hasselblad, during the film days, would get an assignment

and was wondering just like you and she would carry her camera in a brown paper

grocery bag.

At any rate, I've traveled around a little and my cameras go with me unless the

place I'm at doesn't allow photography. I still explain what I'm doing before I begin to

take pics.

Enjoy your time in New York City. It's an exciting place.

When I went to NYC (4 weeks back) I had a point-n-shoot (SD870) and XTi ... I have taken photos with both, Point-n-Shoot did not give me good high-iso images. You tend to take more night shots, so high-iso performance is very very important. Not that XTi is the best at high-iso, it certainly very very good compared to point-n-shoot. I got very good images till 400ISO, @800ISO was it was decent.

I think a light DSLR ( XTi ) + ultra-wide (10-24mm) or wide angle (17mm+) lens is a perfect kit for NYC.

Thanks to all who have replied. I never would have guessed about the comfort of taking a DSLR to NY, but I'll give it some real thought now. My father has an XTI and I might just trade him for the weekend. Now if you don't mind? To those who have been to NY, should or can I take the camera as a carry on, or will I have to check it?

There are three things I never check in when flying.<p>1) My CPAP Machine. (For

Sleep Apnea)</p>

<p>2) My Laptop Computer</p>

<p>3) My Camera</p>

<p>Out of the three, the only thing I don't have to remove from the bag at security

is my camera.

<p>If you are going to the statue of liberty, go early. THe ferry stops at ellis island

as well as the statue. Go to the statue first and get right in line. if you don't you

might not get to go up in the statue at all. THen go to ellis island, it is way more

interesting then the statue. You will spend the rest of the day there. </p>

XTi is a fine idea -- compact, light in weight, and a very capable machine -- provided you've got a wide enough lens, given the 1.6x factor.

I'd recommend carrying your camera with you, not checking it. Checked luggage is tossed around.

Enjoy New York !

I agree with those who say no problem with any camera in NYC. I've been carrying my 20D around for eight months, and marvel at all the white lenses and big outfits all over the place. A super wide angle would be really useful for the tall buildings. I've used some telephoto for parades and gatherings, but mostly wished I had something that could encompass more of this incredible city. Just don't stop and gawk in the middle of the sidewalk! The locals get pretty peeved at that! Have fun.

If you do not take the 5D, you will kick yourself all throughout your trip.

However, never put it out of your sight for a moment. Carry it on, do not check it. Keep the camera bag it on your lap on the subway. Wrap the carrying strap around your wrist/arm/leg/whatever.

New York is full of photographers, amateur and pro, and I would not hesitate to bring my gear to NYC. But you don't want to be the target because your camera was the one sitting on the table in the open.

"I don't want to take my Canon 5D walking around the streets of NY"

Why not. I did. So long as you don't overburden yourself with lenses so you become a pack animal, a 5D in a light shoulderbag is the ideal vehicle for photography in NYC in my view. I took it everywhere- including pre dawn trips on the subway to Queens to search out a good sunrise spot onto mid-town, walks around Harlem and so on. Just avoid gross stupidity like putting your bag down and wandering away from it, or using backpacks in crowded places. And walk like you belong- don't make yourself look like a victim. I do not feel uncomfortable in NYC.