A Week in New Mexico. Itinerary?

haziz

<p>I am heading to New Mexico next week and will stay for a week. Will be flying in and out of Albuquerque. Main purpose is photography (Landscapes and to a lesser extent culture) and to a lesser extent birding (No interest in bird photography). What do you suggest for an itinerary? Thanks. Sincerely, Hany.</p>

<p>My wife and I went two years ago in March. We flew to Albuquerque, rented a car and went to Santa Fe. Santa Fe is luckily very photogenic, it rained most of the week so we didn't travel much. The back road to Santa Fe (Turquoise Trail) is recommended by some, however to an easterner I found the broad views from the interstate more impressive. We wnted to go to the four corners region and Bandelier Monument but the rain kept us away. We did go to Taos , the pueblo was closed the day we were there and Taos itself was like North Conway in mud season. Get some guide books from your library and study them. (And hope for good weather.)</p>

<p>Hany,<br /> First let me say welcome to New Mexico, I hope you enjoy your stay. I am in my 60th year here in the Land of Enchantment and I still get those butterflies of excitement with every adventure I pursue. We are very fortunate to live in a region that offers such diverse subject matter as to keep most of busy planning our next trip. At this time of year I plan my photo adventures around the weather and light. From Albuquerque you can reach almost any part of the state within a 3 or 4 hour drive, depending on the weather. I can guarantee you will be pleased regardless of the direction you choose. At these altitudes and during this time of the year, our light is mostly good most of the time and even at high noon the light seems to have that long light quality. <br /> Jeremy’s list above is a good place to start, but I suggest you leave room in your itinerary for changes in plans and side trips. The Albuquerque area its self is quite diverse and offers many great opportunities for those with a watchful eye. Don’t be bashful, get out of your car and talk to the locals, most of us have no problem with answering tourist questions, this is how you find the off the beaten path treasures.<br /> For more suggestions take a minute and check out my New Mexico images;<br /> <br /> <a href=" http://www.photo.net/photos/vfg ">http://www.photo.net/photos/vfg</a><br>

<br /> Enjoy and take lots of pictures.<br /> <br /></p>

<p>I like both routes from Albuquerque to Santa Fe, my in-laws living on the Turquoise Trail, but I've lived for ten years in the northeastern corner of the state, a neglected treasure. From Las Vegas (NM!) north to Raton, east to Clayton. Most of my landscapes are shot between Raton and Clayton (http://www.timkellerphotography.com/GalleryLandscapes.html). Like New Mexico itself, it's not for everyone, but I find it a photographer's paradise.<br /> Another beautiful route is the high road from Santa Fe to Taos -- take the turn-off to the right at Nambe. From Taos you can continue down to Cimarron, then to Raton and be in my northeastern quadrant, then back to Albuquerque. Enjoy...it's a beautiful state.</p>

<p>New Mexico is pristine and great for photography. I too recommend Santa Fe. You left one important priority out of your itinerary - great southwestern food. Sandia Peak is a must do on the way to Santa Fe. Take the tram up; the views are spectacular. There are lots of photo opportunities at Sandia Peak. I'd skip the Turquoise Trail. Madrid (ironically pronounced "mad - rid" by the locals) is a tourist trap. The town of Cerillos is quaint and photogenic, but the wide open vistas on I-25 are more dramatic to see.<br>

The plaza in Santa Fe and the nearby old chapel are terrific for the local color as well as images. Be respectful of the Pueblo Indians and don't photograph them without permission. If you purchase their jewelry in front of the Governor's Palace, them may allow a picture or two. Bandallier National Monument is a great place to see cliff dwellings and get some pictures. Beware of glare due to the high elevation and the sun reflecting off the cliffs.<br>

Los Alamos is also a destination. The laboratory at the top of the mountain is where the atomic bomb was developed. Taos and the pueblo is also worthwhile as is Georgia O'Keefe's home and ghost ranch at Abiqui.<br>

If you go to Taos, don't miss the Rio Grande gorge. With some side roads, you can actually drive inside the gorge. Taos Pueblo is a great place to get close-up images. Be nice to the residents, and for a few dollars they may let you get their picture. i got one of my best pictures of a Pueblo woman there.<br>

Back in Santa Fe, the Georgia O'keefe museum and the Art Museum of New Mexico are not to miss. The La Fonda hotel on the plaza is worth a look inside and out. Also, venture down Canyon Road for the many galleries. And Maria's has some of the best southwestern food and Margaritas you'll ever find. <br>

A look at Ansel Adams' images of New Mexico is a great photo lesson before your trip. "Moonrise over Hernandez, New Mexico" is particularly inspiring. Enjoy New Mexico.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>A place you will have to miss because of the time of year is Valle (Vay-yah) Vidal. If you go north from Taos just before you cross into Colorado there is a turn off with a handy Shell mini-store. The road into VV heads east into 100,000 pristine acres unknown to many. Humorously, extreme environmentalists fought successfully to ban drilling of ant form. But the humor is that the land was "donated" by Pennzoil as part of a tax settlement!<br>

OK, when you drive thru headed for Cimmaron you pass thru 250,000 acres owned by Ted Turner. Ted's plans are to gve the land in perpetuity to the State. He only has a small hunting lodge with few guests. He owns more than a million acres in NM and will give it all away<br>

Oh, Ted allows drilling for natural gas and you would never know it. Even the grizzly 50 yds from the road seemed quite happy! <br>

If you drive that way, perhaps to the Great Sand Dunes in CO, ask at the Shell; they will know the roads.</p>