whatever it is I'm shooting. Basically, I prefer primes to zooms, and I need a

better telephoto. I found a 180mm f/2.8 AF (not sure if it's D), used, in good

condition for around $500, which looks like a great deal, considering it's

normally almost $800. Apparently it's a fantastic lens, based on reviews I've

read, and from previous threads regarding it, but I'd just like some opinions

from you all.

Thanks,

Jake Gagne

They are great lenses. I owned the older version, but had some CA problems using it on my D200, so I bought the new version about a year ago. The new version is sharper and more contrasty, but I believe the older version is a little better at rendering subtle color a bit better. Here's a shot a took with the 180mm f/2.8 IF-ED AF D yesterday, with no sharpening. It is stunningly sharp.<div>00Pl6A-47847984.jpg.2fcd058b2cd97adb88964815daa37faf.jpg</div>

The 180mm f/2.8 was the work horse lens for many photojournalist until the 80-200mm

f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8 were released. I still have my pre D lens. The f/2.8 will help

greatly, with the AF. Here is the catch 22, if you are using the newer cameras that is

below the D300, D200, D2X and D3 then you may want to look at lenses that are AF-S

( Silent Wave Motor (SWM)) for AF speed. Like Canon the New Nikons are becoming

more dependent on these motors.

Thank you Jake, It is a bit long for most of my uses (fashion primarily). On D200 bodies it's one of those lenses I have to think about using, but I'm always pleased with the results. I shoot film with just about everything but Nikon these days, but when I did, it was a perfect lens for a lot of shots.

If you don`t need AF, I will tell you I am very pleased with my 80/200 4.0, not the 2.8, 85 2.0 135 3.5 200 4.0 last version are all beautiful lenseson my D200.

You don`t hear much about the 80/200 4.0 except a few knowledgeabe reviewers rate it highly. The primes i got all at one time and all are mintish. The 80 2.0 does not get great review, but I compared it to the others and see no difference on image quality, same time,same light, same subject.

The 85 is just a bit bigger than a 50, the 135 I can hide in my hand, the 200 is about 6/7 inches long. All take 52mm filters. Close up with Leica Elpros is fastastic. I am sure the Nikons good ones would do as well. I just own the Leica ones.

There is $600 in all 4 lenses.

Like I say if you need AF, don`t change your mind. The 180 AF is a fine lens, just heavy and expensive.

Ronald: I certainly don't mind manual focus, in fact I've considered buying MF lenses before. Supposedly they're generally of excellent quality. Unfortunately my body is a D50, and thus it won't meter with MF lenses.

Great lens. One of my favorite Nikkors. Excellent sharpness, contrast, vivid colors,

works great on a DX or FX camera alike. Compact, relatively inexpensive, works well

against the light too. On a D3 it focuses fast enough even for e.g. close-ups of

runners, though I guess that is a virtue of the camera and not so much the lens. :-)

I agree with Ilkka (and the others). I also have a 70-300G, and was not particularly impressed with that lens on a D70, so I also invested in a AF 180/2.8, which I have wanted all my adult life. That 180 is fantastic! (I find the 70-300 to be a bit better on the D300, so it is now promoted to a travel lens).

Hi Jake, i think you would be very happy with tthis lens. I purchased th4 AF Nikkor 180mm f2.8 IF ED D on ebay for $350 in mint condition. I have seen it often on ebay and they usually sell up to $400. It is one of Nikon's sharpest lenses, the color is beautiful and the contrast is very good. Auto focus is not the fastest but on my D300 fast enough for me. i am convinced that it is currently an under recognised gem of a lens. It is also relatively small and light weight. It balances well, is easy to handle and I use it everywhere, Chicago urban shots, rural shots, evereywhere. It is a great walk-around tel and a workhorse. You owe yourself! Buy it. Hope this has helped you make up your mid.

Regards, Doug

PS it looks good too.

• 1 year later...