Impressed with the 1Ds Mark III

will king

I've owned the 5D and I still have my 1D Mark III so I have been spoiled with

high ISO images with low noise. When I was considering buying the 1Ds Mark III,

my only consern was how it was going to handle noise at high ISOs. I read all

the reviews and thought I would make the plunge. I'm glad I did. I wouldn't say

that it handles noise better than the 1D Mark III but it's pretty darn close to it.

Here is a shot at ISO3200. No noise reduction software.<div>00Pjsl-47431584.jpg.0a56e476fc7ecd6ce57c1715dc351660.jpg</div>

The difference a professional camera makes. It reminds me I was at this event acouple of weeks ago with my semi-pro Canon 5D, while everybodies flash was going off, I was shooting with no flash. One guy tapped me on the back and asked me shouldn't you be shooting with flash ?

Harry,

I've been there. I only have a 40D, but I usually don't shoot with flash unless I just want some fill or something. I was at a basketball game last winter and there were about 4 other photojournalists there besides myself and they were all using flash (and Nikons) while I was smiling inside know that I was getting better (and almost noise free) pictures at ISO 1600 and f/2.8. I have seen Will's examples from his 1D3 and ISO 6400 and I can say that I really want one, but I want to stay married......for now. =)<div>00Pk4a-47477684.thumb.jpg.575018f3dc7f0bb05b10aedc9d7c6b2f.jpg</div>

Glad its this good, a friend nought his 1ds3 in a major photo store in brisbane along with some new lens. There was so much dust and dirt inside both he took them back. A canon rep happened to be at the store so opened a dozen 1ds3 up. all were filthy inside so took the lot back to canon service. Hard to beleive the top end models being released in this state. just sharing

BTW I saw a shootout with 1d3 and a D3 upto 6400 ISO. Nikon was NOT better at all, that was a fairer comparison than against the 1ds3 :)

Something that I think people often forget when discussing noise is that it's generally only apparant when pixel peeping or printing large - especially when working with high mega-pixel and/or pro-grade cameras.

<P>

On a more general note, I feel that often people get too caught up in technical specifications, without appreciating (or understanding?) the circumstances in which those technical differences make a measurable difference to an image (especially with consideration to the size it's going to be printed); many seem lured towards cameras with higher pixel counts, better high-ISO performance (eg Nikon D3 - Canon) etc when in reality (when making a purchasing decision) they may well make a better decision by putting a big tick in the "more than adequate" column for both units, and making their selection criteria based on other - more significant - factors.

<p>

Cheers,

<p>

Colin

You made a very smart investment. Welcome to one of the greatest cameras ever made! I've had mine now for a few months and I marvel over the quality. One of the things I personally noticed was how wonderful the color is. Depending on ones settings you can get close to Velvia film for nature, which has always been a favorite film of mine for nature.

Another cool feature is something called Highlight Tone Priority, which tones down overexposed highlights. A wonderful thing to bring out details in white brides dresses.

Armando, I have both. The 5D and also the 1Ds mark 2. My photo partner now uses the 1Ds mark2 as his backup. I still have 1, 5d and the new 1ds Mk3.

Now that this issue is covered I can comment on all of the cameras, The 5D was and is a great camera. I still use it for wedding receptions mainly because it is very light weight and produces excellent images.

The 1Ds mark 2 is also an excellent camera and with the price going down it is a huge bargain. It's about 1/2 the price of the new 1Ds Mk3. The images are a bit better then the 5D at ISO's above 400. Under ISO 400 it is difficult to see any difference between the 2 cameras.

The 1Ds mark2 is an animal. It is so well made compared to the 5d. but for the value of the 5D this camera can't be beat. I've printed up to 40X60 with both cameras. The results were not as good as medium format but still way better then the old film 35mm slr's.

Now the 1ds Mark 3 is equal to some medium format film cameras, not medium format digital. It focuses wicked fast and finds the subject faster then the other 2 mentioned cameras. The most shocking unexpected results were color. That new canon senser is as close to reading proper color then any camera I've ever used, including film. In fact the old Velvia 50 film that most people rated around ISO 32 can be set in the 1ds Mk3 camera. Also this camera can go down too ISO 50, which is a delight.

For weddings the Portrait setting was ok but I adjusted the contrast to -6; the canon setup is +25 and looks like digital, but at - 6 to -10 it looks smooth like film.

At this stage I have no complaints other then weight. With a quantum flash on a 4 pound bracket the weight is close to 8 pounds. At 52 years old I can handle it but I'm sore after weddings and most of my younger friends are also sore! I'd suggest working out a bit if you are not in the best shape!

So to fairly give you my honest opinion the 5D is just fine for weddings and I actually believe the 1Ds Mark 3 is overkill for weddings. For product work the 1Ds mk3 is very close to any film medium format camera.

The 5D is also better then the old top of the line Nikon D2X. The 5D had much better grain control at 1/2 the price.