Re-uploading image.

paulo2

After heeding critiques and suggestions on one of my photos I've modified the

image and would like to re-upload it. How can I do this without loosing the existing

critiques (which prompted the modifications)?

Thanks.

L.J., it simply replaces the image and the ratings remain. This does mean that the ratings were for an image that is no longer the one displayed. But, it is left up to our own ethics to not abuse this. I, personally, attach the original posted image to a comment if I replace the displayed image.

Plus, it seems illogical to replace a good image with a weaker one.

IF that is the case, then something is very wrong. Every image has an image ID. All ratings and comments belong to a specific image, NOT something different.

If it allows you to replace image # 12345 of a car and comments and ratings about nice wheels etc. with an image of a dog with the exact same image number of 12345 instead of image # 13355 then the whole database will be corrupted.

I can understand it letting you put in a new photo that has NO ratings, comments and so on attached to it since it would not matter.

L.J.,

That is an issue that has troubled me for some time. But there really hasn't been that much abuse as far as we have been able to tell. And I predict a huge uprising of complaints if I were to remove or change the system.

In short, as it is not creating a huge problem, I have chosen to not fight the battle as there are many more important things on the site to be attended to.

It troubles me too. It's clearly bad design to allow a new image to be uploaded and keep the comments on the old one. It's just begging for confusion, if not abuse.

I'd simply remove that ability and ignore any complaints. If a photographer wants to modify the image they can either post the new version inline as a comment or start a new thread. Having old comments on a new image is just a bad idea and should never have been allowed in the first place.

Aren't you glad I'm not in charge of the gallery...

"Having old comments on a new image is just a bad idea and should never have been

allowed in the first place."

I do agree with this, but If one were to upload a replacement photo, and not attach old

comments, but keep the old uploads in a hidden folder as to not lose the ratings is this

wrong.

It's not that bad. I can see nothing wrong in uploading a different version. I for instance have a very busy and demanding job so I often find myself editing my photo's late at night. On 1 or 2 occasions that resulted in a slightly flawed image that was uploaded. Some people are friendly enough to point out such an oversight so I upload another version. I can really see nothing wrong in that especcialy since I leave a comment that I took their advice to heart and uploaded another one.

I don't find it surprising that there hasn't been much abuse because what could be gained from that apart from fooling oneself? I don't think it very plausible that someone would change a photo from a car into one on his dog (your example).

Don't fix it if it ain't broken

Didn't know my initial question would generate such a response, thanks.

But I'm still going crazy with this... I've tried Patrick's initial pointer of 'Edit Image Info' then 'File To Upload'. I browse for my improved image file and click 'Submit Changes'. However, when I go to see the image it's still the old one... I have tried deleting Temporary files and all offline content from my IE6 but the old image is still there.

Any suggestions?

I wanted to upload the same photo with a different border yesterday, but the feature did not work as it used to. I like the option. Sometimes the image does not have the same color or contrast as my screen showed before uploading too, and I make adjustments to correct that and upload the new version too so it looks like I'd like it to.

I think a major crop or change would need to be explained if you corrected for comments; besides, it would be confusing. If there is a change you make due to comments, you need to delete said image and start over, adding that fact on the new post. I've done that.

NOTE: Before submitting this I opened a new browser and checked to see if the problem still existed. NOPE.. my new matted version went right up. COOL!<div>00PeBY-46133584.jpg.770be69cd8aad17f3fb7bad0b492b4b5.jpg</div>

Well I'm glad it works for you Michael... but here no such luck.

All I want to do is replace the image with a new one with a slight adjustment which was based on other peoples comments. How hard can this be? I thought it might be my browser retaining images in temporary files but I've deleted these... I've even tried on other machines to make sure this wasn't the issue.

Well, I'd thought it worked, but strangely enough only for the thumbnail. I assumed it was all fine until I clicked on the thumbnail and got the older version then. How strange is that? I deleted the old image a few moments ago, but I had saved and pasted the comments with it on the first comment box.

Hope they fix it back the way it was too.

Yep... exactly same here Michael.

Actually I was trying it out again and loaded a test image (just a blank frame) so now I have a blank (greenish) thumbnail. And worse, it looks like the 'File To Upload' feature isn't working at all now.... so I'm kinda stuck.