@#$%! Deleted partition, lost everything. Yikes.

I backed up my hard drive to an external drive, and wanted a fresh start as I've

been having some hardware issues. I reinstalled my OS software, and in the

process deleted the partitions on my main internal drive. Then, by sheer stupidity,

I deleted the patition from my backup external drive. I should have unplugged it

from the computer to avoid this very thing, and I didn't recognize it as the external

drive when I hit the button... anyway, backup files=gone. Poof.

I'm running scans on the backup drive with some data recovery software which

claims to be able to reconstruct a deleted partition. I don't really have any

experience with data recovery, and I know it can be a trick to get uncorrupted data

back from the dead. Thus, I'm seeking the advice of anyone experienced with this

sort of situation for recommendations for software/procedures to help restore my

image data to its former, uhh, mediocrity.

I hope this is not the wrong place to ask. I know the 'do I need a PC or Mac

question gets a lot of air here, and the threads persist, and as I use my machine

primarily for shuffling/editing/storing/sending/printing photos, I guessed that this

would be a good place to ask. Thanks for your assistance.

-GM

Sadly, I believe that even if you recover your files, you will lose all of your sorting,

as in my experience file recovery even if they find the files, the folder hierarchy of

the disk will be lost.

good luck. i did a similar thing about 6 months ago. fortunately with noting too

important though.

t

The best BOOK i've seen that can point you to a number of FREEWARE disk-data recovery tools is

FILE SYSTEM FORENSIC ANALYSIS

by author Brian Carrier

Here is a link to it on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/System-Forensic-Analysis-Brian-Carrier/dp/0321268172

If this link dont work, just Google on "File System Forensic Analysis", and it will pull up a bunch of refs.

This book is basically an in-depth, and I do mean in-depth treatment of how modern investigators go in and peek and poke around hard drives and file systems to recover all kinds of lost data. The book is sprinkled liberally with pointers to free software apps that can do all kinds of thinks related to recovering lost data.

Amazon has 40+ copies of this book available, from $27 up to $37. I think if you were to quickly buy a copy, you could find web-reference to a free program that will do what you are asking.

This is a terrific book, and will make an excellent addition to your computer book library...

try here

http://lifehacker.com/software/lifehachttp://lifehacker.com/software/lifehacker-top-10/lh-top-10--free-computer-system-recovery-tools-251903.phphttp://lifehacker.com/software/lifehacker-top-10/lh-top-10--free-computer-system-recovery-tools-251903.phpi searched on "system recovery"

the site is lifebacker

when i read your post earlier, i did some searches and tried to get such a program.

of course I am NOT ABOUT to delete my own setup and try resoring it.

I did this a while back, too... but got nearly everything back with the exception of a few wonky jpgs. Check out a program called Partition Recovery. Running some data recovery programs in cases like this where the data hasn't been deleted only the "parenthesis" around it, can actually make it harder or impossible to rebuild the partition. If you haven't formated the drive, just deleted the partition, "all" of the data should still be there, it's just that the OS can no longer see it since the master file table has been deleted. If you also formated the drive, your chances of recovery drop substantially, but Get Data Back, is good program to try.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm going to try testdisk in the morning. A friend has also referred me to an IT professional who may also be able to give me some good advice/lend me a hand, so I'm going to talk to him before I do anything that might make the situation worse... I will, however, continue to kick myself in the bum until then. thanks again!

I reformatted a HDD and installed Win XP on it. It had all my photos on it.

Try File Scavenger. Free to try, $40 to buy. It recovered all my photos, in their correct folders. All that was lost is some video that was overwritten by the XP install.