Canon 450D and 5D...

suhaskulkarni

Well I dont say anything. It is from reputed sites about image quality of Canon

450D and 5D slr cameras....

First Comment: Popular photography says

http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/5326/camera-test-canon-eos-rebel-xsi.html

"For that matter, Canon's own EOS 40D ($1,140 street, body only), while providing

Excellent image quality, is a tick behind the XSi across all indicators."

Second Comment: Luminous Landscape says

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/canon-40D-handson.shtml

"I find that the IQ of the 40D is on a par if not even slightly better than that of the

Canon 5D, which up until now has been my benchmark for DSLR image quality

both at low and at high ISO. "

So from First and Seond - we can say....

IQ of 450D is on a par with 5D

The XSi happens to be a GREAT camera! I have one as well as having owned a 5D from the day it was placed for sale in the US until last month, when I sold it - The XSi actually has higher resolution because it packs 12mp in a smaller sensor. By comparison, to achieve the same pixel density on a FF senor you'd need about a 30mp camera.

The images from the XSi look very, very 'clean' and even at ISO 1600 noise very well controlled, with NR off. If you turn NR on then, it's basically invisible.

The tonal range is excellent and the resolution is superb.

The body, though small for *my* hands, is very well designed and feels solid and very comfortable, with controls in easy to reach places - everything operates smoothly and quickly. I couldn't be happier! I now have a camera I can take with me when I don't want to carry a huge rig and still get excellent image quality.

The issue really is: do you need Full Frame? If you do, the 5D is it. If not, the XSi will be perfect (if you are happy with its body size and materials).

The idea that one body outlast another is theoretical but, doesn't find basis in reality. ANY camera can break at ANY time for ANY reasons, that's a fact. There are NO guarantees to the contrary and, in fact, the 'better' built bodies come with the same 1yr warranty as the Rebel line.

So, no matter what marketing literature tell you, at least Canon doesn't think it should be any different. Otherwise they'd be giving extended warranties on 'higher' quality bodies.

By the way, I could have written Giampi's post... but he beat me to it. I'm also a FF shooter, but I've shot cropped

sensor Rebels in the past. Based on my experience with the two levels of camera, it seems to me that a lot of put

downs of the smaller bodies are by those who a) believe that bigger is always better, b) believe the more expensive is

always better, c) aren't able to understand the in terms of IQ the Rebels typically at least match their current X0D

relatives. The latter has been the case for some time now.

The build quality, interface, and handling issues are way overrated. While some moderate environmental sealing was

added in the 40D, it is not a sealed camera and both cameras will function in similar conditions in the field. The

interface issues cut both ways - certain things are actually easier with the button control system of the Rebels, others

more effective with the control wheel. The same goes for the rear display of the Rebel. The small body size can truly

be an _advantage_ for many and in quite a few situations.

I'm not saying that the cameras are identical, not am I suggesting that _some_ people might find the differences

between the X0D and the Rebel models to be critical. There are a few differences that could be significant for

photographers who actually need those specific features.

Dan

>>> I'd agree that the build quality of the 40D is better than that of the 450D, but

nothing like 10x as good. 1.2:1 might be closer..

Agree. Compared a 450D and 40D in a store yesterday - came away super impressed

with the 450D. But I'm not likely to be traipsing through Rwanda or dodging bullets with

knife clenched in teeth in Fallujah - others may have different real life experiences and

needs.

www.citysnaps.net

They may all have one year warranty but I bet you that my 1D will still be ticking when your xti and 5D are sitting collecting dust, 6 years and the 1D has yet to see a repairman, all I do is once a month use the gitto rocket to clean the sensor. I do have and original rebel that is still ticking but it does not get much of a workout. My one 1Ds is a dust bunny and does need more regular cleaning but still going strong after 5 years and over 100,000 actuations, the 1D is probaby close to 200,000 actuations.

Its exactly posts like this that keep me flitting from forum to forum deciding on whether I should get a 5d, a 40d or just stick with my rebel xt. One thing I can say for sure -- the viewfinder on the xt sucks compared to the others (though I haven't compared the 5d and the 40d's) and since that's the most used part of the camera I'd say its important. Is the 450d's VF improved over the XT?

Also, something doesn't give in these IQ comparisons. The 450d and 40d have a much higher pixel density than the 5d (which has the pixel density of a 5 mb crop dslr). How can they possibly have similar noise characteristics? Perhaps the output looks as clean but that implies a lot of noise reduction and presumably will give a reduction in IQ. Whether that's ever relevant on A4 or A3 prints I'm not sure (though its a very important question I think). Or is the claim that better microlenses (which I know little about) can make up for the smaller photosites? What I have definitely noticed by looking at a lot of sample images on flickr (pointed out in an answer to an earlier post of mine) is that the 5d's images have little to no color noise while it always seems present in the 40d (and my xt) at high iso (3200) and so color noise reduction has to be run -- not sure if this degrades IQ or not.

Also, if improving the resolution to 12 mb makes such a difference then the claim is that older sensors (an XT for example) were not taking full advantage of the resolving power of their lenses so the sensors, not the lenses, were the limiting factor. I would imagine that the opposite is true which is why people claim the FF has an advantage -- at least that's what I've read (see Ken Rockwell's site -- not sure how reliable this argument is since he's a huge FF fan). Abstract arguments aside its a good question when these differences, if they exist, become relevant - 8x10, 16x20, ...

Thanks Dan, I kind of got that feeling ;->

Brad, I've seen this link before but it was good to look at it again. Its hard to see a difference between the 450d and the 5d for sharpness (its hard to compare with the 40d because of the slightly lower resolution and exposure). If I understand correctly (and I may not) the resolving power of a lens only exceeds the photosite size at a certain aperture (which is higher for FF) but I think its over f8 even for the 450d so maybe that's why the 450d and 5d seem to have similar sharpness at this aperture. I guess this is nit-picking but it might be important for landscapers who want giant vistas at high aperture and large prints to be sharp.

The 450d does seem to have more noise if you look carefully at the blue engine cover in the image but again its very hard to see -- its amazing how much better the 450d is than the 400d. What's annoying about these tests though is that they don't stress the camera. I'd rather see a test like this in a situation where I might actually use iso 1600 or 3200 -- namely with very low light and a wide open aperture and perhaps even under-exposing the image. This is not a fake stress test but actually much closer to what one actually needs -- the images where I really notice noise as a potential problem are exactly these kinds of images. Some of my underexposed high iso rebel xt shots are very bad.

How is the VF on the Xti btw?

<i>>>They may all have one year warranty but I bet you that my 1D will still be ticking when your xti and 5D are sitting collecting dust,<<</i>

<p>

Hum...you are on. What are we betting? :)

<p>

But, you may want to read <a href=http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/aa-07-worked.shtml> this</a> first.... :)

From Pop Photo's test of the Canon 450D:

"What really wowed us, though, was the consistency of its test results. At ISO 800 and 1600, resolution declined by less than 5 percent, resulting in a still-Excellent 2160 lines average resolution. RAW files converted to TIFF at default settings with Canon's included Digital Photo Professional software showed just about the same resolution as JPEGs. The application of high-ISO noise reduction at ISO 800 and 1600 resulted in, amazingly, no discernible decrease in resolution, so we'd suggest leaving it on all the time."

Even if the 450D doesn't have the ultimate IQ or build quality of the better EOS DSLRs it is quite amazing what they have accomplished for the low price.

I want to take a look through the improved viewfinder. If that is good and the camera fills good in hand I will buy one.

Hoffman is a little cynical, but one thing is right--Pop Photo basically only publishes positive reviews. Years ago, they even made this explicit. On the other hand, it would be someone pretty naive who would think that the non-commercial reviews done by consumer organizations would be more useful therefore. I think that if you look at all the photo mags on the shelf at your local bookstore, you will find much more in the way of cheerleading than really useful reviews. I think that outfits like Atkins here or the volks at Photozone.de and some other on-line sites are the rare exceptions of knowledgeable reviewers who will give a pretty straight story. Bless the internet, 90% crap and all.