Photographing a wedding as a guest - Advice needed

bluphoto

<i>"Just be mindful of your positioning and stay behind/beside the photographer. They should have the attention of the couple and guest, not you."</i><p>

This is bad advice, Guy. If you are "behind/beside" the photog during the formals, someone in nearly every shot will be distracted and look out of the frame, ruining the shot. Your sister-in-law or her parents are paying the pro to get them flawless, memorable photos. You could easily undermine this process by hovering around the shoot, bristling with photo gear. Put yourself in the pro's position. Imagine the effect on your performance of someone bird-dogging you at crucial moments in your job.<p>

As several posters suggested above (speaking from experience and common sense, not arrogance), find subjects the pro is not shooting, and create a beautiful record of other aspects of the wedding.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I am curious how many of those who have encouraged Guy to just go for it and shoot away are professional wedding photographers?

"I'm not getting in his way, but I'll obviously be doing my best to get the best shots I can."

"That said I'm mainly looking for a fine art portrait type of shot"

"Maybe the ceremony pictures wouldn't be such a great idea this time, although I'd love to try ceremony shots sometime - such a beautiful moment, and I'd like to do something arty with those pictures. Not something you get access to every day though, unless you set it up for yourself - which I might consider doing at some point. The shot of the couple standing at the altar with the rays of light streaming in on them is hard to beat, and as someone who always has his mind on the photograph, I'd feel that'd I'd missed out on something, knowing that the guys at the back was getting it all and I'm stuck half way along the third row with my camera under the pugh."

"I want to produce images that look professional, perhaps with a different slant, for my own satisfaction."

Guy, I do not mean to be harsh or offend you, but with the statements above, it sounds like your goal is to be more than just a guest photographer. Most guest photographers are not out to take 'professional' looking images, they just want to capture photos of their loved ones. Whether you think so or not, based on the desired goals you've mentioned...IMHO you will likely get in the way of the pro photographer. You do not know the pro photographers style, what if he/she prefers to roam during the ceremony and what if you and your tripod & cable release are set up at a spot they need at just the right time they need to be there?

I think it's really sad these days that so many guests feel the need to lug their big DSLRs with strobes and flash diffusers to weddings they are invited to as guests and possibly compromise the quality of the couples professional photos. I can't tell you how many wedding images we have taken where we are doing our job, we are there and anticipating the right moment to catch the perfect shot of the bride and her father walking down the aisle only to have uncle bob back in the 3rd pew with his flash head growing out of the brides father's head. Yes, we take multiple shots, and luckily there are 2 of us so we get 2 different angles and have several to choose from but perhaps it was that one shot ruined by uncle Bob's camera in the background which had the best expression on the brides face? Then at this same wedding, uncle Bob decides to jump up to the reception doorway to get his shot of the happy couples grand entrance so the pro photographer gets a wonderful shot of the beaming bride and groom and uncle Bob behind them!

Yes it happens, yes we expect it and deal best we can with it and still give the clients a great collection of images and they tell us they are thrilled...but we see more and more images we have to toss out due to this growing trend. We have had clients ask us on occasion how we feel about a friend photographing with us, even had one ask if they can tag along with us during the day. Since we are already a 2 shooter team, another photographer is overkill..we tell them it would be best if their relative photographed the ceremony from their seat, not photograph during the formals as it does cause wandering eyes and adds time, but they are more than welcome to shoot away during the reception.

I would advise you to bring minimal gear and be aware of whether you see the photographer in your viewfinder because that means you are surely in his. Your mention of waiting till the photographer is done with formals to shoot your own is good and respectful of the photographer. But, if you really want to get some amazing, fine art, professional looking wedding photos as you have mentioned, try to secure a wedding gig of your own (after you have the appropriate training and experience of course.)

I often get tempted to carry my full wedding kit when attending a wedding as a guest. My advice is this. Bring along your 5D with 24-70 and the 85 f/1.8. that should pretty much cover you for your proposed candids and portraits. Leave the 20D and 70-200 in the car. I would also definitely chat with the main photog, preferably before the day, just to explain that you're not planning to invade his turf, you simply want to get some nice pictures of family and friends, etc. That way, you can get his permission beforehand and alse gauge his personality. He might be more than happy to do that, and perhaps may even want to buy some of your candids from you. Who knows?

<p>Much as you say you don't want to be in the way, if I were a guest or a member of the bridal party, I would most likely get distracted by anyone with 2 camera bodies and a long white lens hanging off one of the bodies.

So you don't want the pressure of being a wedding photographer? But you want to take 2 bodies, large lenses and even setup a tripod in the church! As well as getting in the paid photographer's way you will probably end up distracting guests as Mark Kathurima mentioned. Just take basic kit.

My first wedding shoot (well actually my only one so far) was for a friend of mine and someone asked me if I would mind them taking pics also. I was so nervous that I would screw something up that I told the woman where to stand (out of my way) and gave her a few pointers and let her have at it too. She never once got in my way. She sent the pics to my friend who in turn handed them over to me to "fix" but she actually got a few good shots in that I had missed and I was able to give my friend the pics all the shots she deserved to have for her wedding. My suggestion is to talk to the photog when you arrive. You never know he/she might actually be grateful for the assistance and you might learn something in the end. Most people are not going to be as bad as you think they might be when you get to know them.

Hi Guy, I haven't had a chance to read the entire thread - it's pretty long; so sorry if what I said is just repeating. My husband and I go to lots of weddings (big family, friends at that age...) and are building our skills and portfolio to go into wedding photography down the track. We have very strict rules with ourselves, and as a result have developed good relationships with a number of photographers, who when they know you are coming from the right place can actually be really helpful.

- We always ask the bride and groom to check with the pro if it is ok.

- We always talk to the pro when we get there (& he isn't busy, and tell them we will not get in their way, and to please tell us to buzz off if we do). This usually makes them comfortable, and in the end they end up chatting of their own accord and being very helpful. We even got a seconding job from this once.

- We NEVER shoot formals over the pro's shoulder. Having shot a few on our own we know how impossible it is to get everyone's eyes on the pro's camera with people over your shoulder. It is one of the most annoying things you could do. And there is no point - photos of a group of people looking at someone else's camera look silly. And even if you tell them to look at the pro

I can guarantee that someone won't. This is up there with death and taxes. The first time we shot as guests we shot from way away on an angle thinking no-one would look our way. Guess what - they did. And I am paying for that with karma when I shoot my own weddings. These will never be portfolio shots anyway.

- We NEVER go with the pro when they go off with the couple for couple portraits. To do so is just rude. Either you will be stealing their poses, or taking up time that belongs to them (which is always incredibly short, and can be stressful - trying to get good shots when your time has been made even shorter by everything running over time which it always does - esp when the family portraits took twice as long because of all the guests shooting).

- As someone said above - play to your strengths. Get candid shots of stuff that is happening way away from where the pro is (& tell them that is what you will be doing). So much goes on that the Bride & Groom never get to see & these shots are often the most exciting to them. If the pro isn't around also shots of the B&G hugging their friends and family can be emotional and really capture a moment. In Australia (not sure about US) often the pro won't stay for the full reception, so I offer to take shots there - then you get free rein once the pro is gone; and the B&G really appreciate this because otherwise it wouldn't be covered. If they do cover the reception, there are usually plenty of places to be that the pro isn't. And as much as they will never end up in your portfolio, pro's usually love it if you offer to do table shots because they usually hate doing them or won't do them. I have got a couple of great shots at this time though, because often you take them when the B&G are at each table, and some great spontaneous moments of emotion can happen as they see close friends and family. If you are the only one shooting late in the reception, you may be the one to get the emotional bride with a parent or best friend shot (if shot well these don't have to be snap shots). You usually get great guest shots too because you know people. Dance / garter / flower toss shots can be cool sometimes too.

- There are always loads of detail shots (table cards, rings as they hold hands at the table etc etc, and cute flower girl / page boy shots to be had where you won't be in the way. Usually I am able to get a couple of shots where I pose the B&G, but I only do this if the pro is having a break or is somewhere else, or is happy for me to do it. And I do it being aware that there are only so many posed shots the B&G are going to be up for - because time and energy are both in short supply at such an event. You can get some great candid B&G shots without getting in the way.

- We always find minimal gear feels a lot more comfortable and less intrusive (just a 5D and a couple of small lenses. Never a tripod), and helps to get better candid shots as well. We do manage to shoot a few in the church, but only in a guest sort of capacity - we tend to sit next to the aisle, and just shoot a few - but making sure we don't jump into the aisle in front of the pro. I tend to look for cute little kids doing stuff which the pro won't get a chance to shoot. Or shots of important people (parents, grandparents) because again - the pro may not have time for them.

These limitations do not rule out getting great shots. We have managed to get shots that I at least have been very happy with, as has the couple, and definitely the family (because the pro won't be so focused on shooting family and friends); and managed to do it without (as far as I am aware) annoying any pro's (at least after we learnt that first time). We try to remember it is not our day, and we are lucky to have the opportunity to get anything at all.

Anyway Guy - I am sure you have a respectful approach, I just wanted to share what works for us. And if you do end up taking up this branch of photography, you will have earnt yourself some good karma and hopefully people won't be shooting over your shoulder.

Best of luck, and post some shots afterwards : )

PS: The other reason to not go with the pro when they are shooting the couple portraits is that they are trying to build some intimacy with the couple to get good shots. The more people watching, the harder that is to do, and the more the couple may freeze up.

In answer to Gina`s question: yes I am (A Wedding Photographer)

In answer to Guy`s question, no, it would not hassle me one iota if you arrived with a 20D and a 5D and two L lenses.

If you got in my way I would politely ask you to get out of my road.

If your actions or gesticulations were distracting to the Wedding Party, especially during the Ceremony or the Formal Wedding shots, I would politely ask you to stop.

If I believed it was your intention to steal my creativity (poses, lighting etc, during the Formal Shots), I would politely ask you, to leave the Wedding Party and the Photography crew in Private.

I would ask these things of you once, and then I most likely ask my assistant to get in your way holding an off camera remote flash pointed toward you. (Which I have done once or twice).

(Here where I live), we are not that big on lengthy contracts with various clauses: but there is, written down in the agreement, somewhere, the `out` about not getting the shots if there are extenuating circumstances specifically mentioned is the inability to execute key professional duties - the Service and the Formals ? which our customers are big on.

So, I am not really wishing to bring in the `contract` point of view: suffice to say however, that your conduct is your problem and it will affect the outcomes of the Wedding Day: if you were at a Wedding where I was working and your conduct was affecting the outcomes I was being (well) paid to achieve, I would take all necessary steps to fulfil my duties: but, and I expect that MOST REAL pros would be the same: that would only be a REaction to your ACTIONS, not the fact that you arrived with a truck load of gear.

Also, whilst I would not be put off by you arriving with what might seem to some as truck load of Professional gear, it might indeed be off putting to some.

You might like to read through this thread to get an insight on how you might affect another Wedding Photographer:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00PWPf

Also you might note in that thread, I mentioned that at my Niece`s wedding I took my 5D and a 50mm lens and no flash.

Frankly, I was where the Pro wasn`t, and got some great shots because of it.

So what is it that you are attempting to do? And what is the best method of achieving that? These are the real questions, IMO.

If your desire is to hone skills, and capture some great moments IN YOUR STYLE then take your 5D and a fast Prime lens (or maybe the 24 to 70) and go out and get those moments: at a Wedding there are plenty of them.

If you aim is to get some Wedding `Portfolio` shots then you might get a few at this Wedding, but you will get many more as an Assistant on the job for a Real Customer.

WW

So there seem to be two schools of thought here. Some replies suggest that if I stay out of the photographers way (which I've said all along I'm going to do) then I should be fine. Others assume that I'll get in the photographers way never-the-less, even though I intend not to.

Personally, I think that enthusiast photographers in general have a great respect for professionals and are probably MORE aware of their needs than Uncle Bob with his new DSLR toy - and so are more likely to stay out of their way, right?

It's a big church but he's ONLY allowed to shoot from the gallery at the back, so maybe if I talk to the church administrator, I could set up prefocussed on a tripod (or a piece of furniture) and preframed for the couple from the waist up, facing the couple from the front of the church, even with the whole thing covered with a piece of fabric to disguise and silence it a bit. Obviously no flash. I can push the button on my radio trigger just as the ring is put on the finger etc. Then there's no chance of me getting in the way of the pro, and I'm certain to not duplicate any of his ceremony shots, or at least to get a different angle on them.

"what if you and your tripod & cable release are set up at a spot they need at just the right time they need to be there? " - then I'll step aside and allow him to use my kit to lean on, but as mentioned above, I'm thinking of not setting up at the back of the church anymore, the only place he is allowed to work. I'm more into wandering through the crowd taking candids,

I've said already that the responsibility of being a wedding photographer is too great for me, having people rely on my shots puts more pressure on producing and doesn't allow me to experiment. As such, Gina, what sort of experience and training would you recommend? Aren't you talking about the training needed for a professional wedding photographer - surely that's the last thing I want, and I'm not sure what good it would do me.

I'm surprised to hear that people are distracted by someone with a white lens, but I can see where you're coming from, Mark, although I'd think they'd be more curious than distracted. Maybe I'm wrong. You're not assuming I have my camera raised to my eye while the photographer is shooting the formals are you? This would obviously confuse and distract the subjects.

So from your helpful responses, I have to introduce myself to the pro photographer and tell him that I'm not there to invade his turf, just to get some "different" pictures that I can play with myself. If he needs my help, or needs to borrow anything, then just ask - not that he'd want or need to, being a pro, but the offer is there. (although I'm wise to him "putting me to work" just to keep me out of the way) - if he needs an assistant, I guess he'll bring one. As long as I keep out of his way, and always make sure I know where he is and what he's pointing at then I guess I should be okay.

I could make a point of getting some shots of the bride and groom preparing in the morning... of the sun streaming through a window, beaming through, or sillhouetting the dress hanging in front of the window. The rings on the bible making the heart. The brides mother and bridesmaids preparing, the groom having a pint of dutch courage with the best man before the ceremony, the new baby (due one month before) with the great-grandmother (94). Incidentally, do the grooms parents get much attention from photographers? - maybe just a shot of the empty wallet!

My intention is to pretty much stay away from the formals, maybe apart from a couple of shots of the bridal party itself once the pro has given way to other people with cameras. Obviously, he always has the priority - that's a no brainer.

Thanks William, for giving me the benefit of your years of experience - it means a lot.

I really didn't think it would bother a real pro if I arrive with two old bodies with one white lens. Maybe if I had a decent compact I would bring that instead, but I don't. I have to work with what equipment I've got, and mine is decent enough to do the job in most cases.

The quote "I was where the Pro wasn`t, and got some great shots because of it" is exactly where I'm coming from.

I think you're on precisely the same page as I am, William. My priority is to hone my own skills and capture some amazing moments in my own style. My priority isn't portfolio shots, but a handful of "portfolio quality" shots, as always, never go amiss.

thanks again.

Guy -

Above all (it was mentioned way earlier) check with the official photographer. Introduce your self to him / her and explain what you are trying to do and that you're not there to steal their business.

Secondly stay out of their (the official photographer's) way. I had a wedding recently where I started doing formals and politely told everyone else to wait until I was done to take their snaps. Only 1 person had to to be told twice and they spent the rest of the day annoyed at life and me. Oh well.

During the wedding ceremony, I'm worried about what I'm doing, not about what others are doing with their camera. However, I have had church officials come up to me and say - I thought I told you no flash during the ceremony. They said this because some aunt / uncle / friend / etc.. in the audience fired a flash. The official, automatically and incorrectly assumed it was me.

(I've managed to talk them down, and actually get them to agree that they should / need to announce the NO FLASH rule prior to the service beginning)

So, bottom line is communicate, communicate and communicate. And stay out of the way!

Dave

Recently, My Boss' youngest daughter was married - and I was invited to the wedding as both a guest AND a photographer. Another co-worker/friend of my boss was the 'prime' photographer and I served as backup. we both attended the rehearsal and wedding, worked to stay out of each other's way, and had a great time! The B&G ended up with over 1000 shots (the other guy did the formals) I did mostly candids and a few "in church" shots with my quiet 10D. As costs escalate for 'getting hitched' - I expect to see more of these types of wedding arrangements - next photography banner - "Will work for cake"

Just my $0.02 worth.

--Derek Isaacs

David,

Thanks for the tips but I think they've all be covered already...

Check with the official photgrapher... - I'll do this on the day whe I meet him/her.

Stay out of their way.... mentioned more than a few times.

No flash in the church... No brainer, but wouldn't do this anyway. Mentioned already.

thanks for reinforcing their importance, though.

Derek,

Maybe I should reiterate that I'm not a guest photographer - I'm just a gues with a camera (just like probably a dozen other guests apart from mine's probably a bit bigger), and I haven't been asked to photograph anything. I asked the b&g if they would mind if I took some photo's at their wedding and they agreed - they're not expecting anything of me and I have no responsibility to produce any photo's whatsoever. It's for my own benefit, but if I get some nice shots, of course, I'll make them available.

I'll be attending as a guest, nothing more, but a guest with a camera (or two). The pro still has the full responsibility to produce the whole package - whatever that might be.

I've asked a couple of times who is taking their photo's, but they appear to have no idea and have left that up to the hotel with which they have arranged the wedding package - which includes a photographer, apparently. This uncertainty is mainly what pre-empted my asking if I could take some photo's. I don't think they've seen any examples of the photographers work, or even know his name, or what company he works for. It's all a bit too fuzzy for my liking, and the last thing I want to do is interfere, but if I'm there and the pro doesn't or can't deliver, for whatever reason, then I guess it would be good to have something to show them.

Guy, as long as

<p>1. You run your intentions by the pro before hand and

<p>2. You stay clear of the working pro's way,

<p>I would imagine you should be ok. I again reiterate though that the 24-70 and 85 (whether 1.2 or 1.8) should be more than sufficient for what you want to achieve...

Guy, after attending many weddings as a guest (zero as photographer) I have found a sort of "Zen of Wedding Photos", I think. I offer it to you without judgment on your plans, but I hope it helps clarify your thinking (and others').<br> <br> <b>Pete's First Axiom of Guest Wedding Photos:</b> It's not about me.<br> <br> Someone else's wedding is the wrong time and place for me to practice my hobby. I'm not going to bring my bass and jam with the band, after all. Not that I can't bring a camera, but it's not about me.<br> <br> <b>Pete's Second Axiom of Guest Wedding Photos:</b> The degree to which it is not about me is proportional to my closeness to the bride and groom.<br> <br> On one extreme, if I'm in the wedding party then my job is to focus on the bride and groom and I can't be lugging around a camera. Calibrate accordingly.<br> <br> <b>Pete's Third Axiom of Guest Wedding Photos:</b> The closer my relationship to the bride and groom, the closer my physical proximity to the bride and groom.<br> <br> If I'm physically near the couple for most of the wedding, then I am physically near the photographer as well. Therefore I am unlikely to be in physical position to provide anything of value to the bride and groom not already provided by the photographer. Refer to axiom 1.<br> <br> <b>Pete's Fourth Axiom of Guest Wedding Photos:</b> If I'm not close enough to the couple for Axioms 2 and 3 to be limitations on me taking pictures, then why do I want photos of these people in the first place?<br> <br> And thus we arrive at the Zen of Wedding Photos: <b>If I am close enough to want to bring my camera, it isn't appropriate. If it is appropriate to bring my camera, I shouldn't want to.</b><br> <br> So the camera stays at home or in the hotel room <i>always</i>. Relax, have a few drinks, enjoy the food, dance and try to have a good time.<br> <br> As always, YMMV.

Reading up on this, something caught my eye & I thought I'd comment on it. "If the pro is in your view finder, you are in his". Not always true. I missed a few great candids b/c the pro needed tobe right in my line of sight at the friends wedding I attended a while back. But I was braodside tohim as he shot formals (I was there b/c I had to be - waiting for my wife) I sighed, missed the shot, & let him do his job.

I DO think it's up to serious amateur to be more aware of the pro, and thereby stay clear, rather than the other way around.

I recently shot a wedding, it went great. The bride sent me a glowing email and

included the following:

"There were two pro photographers in attendance and they thought very highly of

your photography."

They truly were professionals because I never, not once, had any inkling they were

there.

One guy who looking back I presume was one of them, asked me about my D3

during a quiet moment and we had about a two minute conversation before HE broke

it off and said "I'll let you get back to work". At the end of the night he said "great

job tonight" or something similar and that was it. Honestly I don't even remember if

he had any camera at all with him.

On the other end of the spectrum, I recently shot a wedding where there was

someone who obviously thought she was the wedding photographer. While we were

setting up formals she'd chime in and say "I want one with you two over here!" or

something similar. Twice when we needed the B&G she had them off posing for

her. I was taking picture of the first dance and I backed up a step to get a wide

angle shot and bumped into her HARD because she was standing right behind me

shooting over my shoulder. I'm glad neither of us were hurt, but we easily could

have been.

So, you choose. Which one do you want to be?

Don't even think of it unless you get the other photographer's permission well ahead of time. And don't be pushy. In theory if you simply showed up and started taking pictures, seeing as you are related to the bride he could view it as a violation of contract and sue!

Why are photographers so picky? I'll give you an example. At one wedding I was doing last year the mother of the bride, without telling me, invited the society page photographer from the local paper to photograph the ceremony. Before I had even been introduced she took over the bride's prep and the bride's mother wouldn't let me in. When she got out I tried to coordinate things with her. "Don't worry, I'll keep out of your way."

As the bride was coming down the isle I did my usual crouch, shoot, back-up, crouch, shoot, backup OOOPS! The newspaper photographer was kneeling right behind me and I went flying. My biggest nightmare. If the mother of the bride hadn't invited her they could easily have refused to pay me, or worse.

And this was a pro who supposedly knew what she was doing.

Edward,

Since when have guests at weddings had to get permission from the contracted photographer to bring along a camera? Just because mine's an SLR I don't see the difference - it seems all I'd be doing would be giving the other guy a chance to tell me not to take photo's. Even though I'd be making a concerted effort not to disturb him whatsoever.

If I then see auntie Mabel getting any half decent photo's with her point and shoot, should she also have got permission from the photographer first? Simply ridiculous. What if I bring a point and shoot instead? Would I suddenly start taking my pictures from a different location, just because I have a less conspicuous camera? Makes no difference - since when has the type of equipment made the photographer?

Your example is completely different - both photographers had been invited or hired specifically with the objective of taking photographs at the wedding, hence both were under pressure to get the best images they could. I'm under no pressure, and have no intention of getting myself into any awkward positions, let alone trying to call attention to myself by obnoxiously pretending to be pro.

There are a lot of stories of other photographers who try to "take over", or order the guests around. I think I've said often enough that I have no intention of doing that.

I'm afraid that photographers who don't look where they're going deserve all they get, although since when has the photographer falling over constituted breach of contract? Would it have been any different if you'd backed into a guest standing behind you without a camera? Or a tree? Might I suggest you add the step "glance over shoulder" to your usual routine?

Exactly why I'd be standing or crouching right behind you if I'm off shooting candids, I'm not so sure.

It seems as if several photographers are convinced that any and all guests with cameras will get in their way, and that guests without cameras will not, or that guests who want to replicate the pro's shots by shooting with a P&S while right beside (or behind) them will cause them no trouble, while those who want different shots, who are aware of the pro's location and activities, and who are purposely shooting from a location which will allow the pro to get on with his job uninterrupted, will cause no end of problems?

Can anyone tell me that dealing with these situations is not something that should be expected of a wedding photographer? I'll let him do his job for sure, but isn't dealing with these situations part of his job? Hands up all pro wedding photographers who would not include "dealing with the public" as part of their job.

I'm not convinced that in many cases complaining about the risk of guests with cameras getting in their way isn't just an excuse for minimising the risk of a bruised ego.

As far as Regas reply is concerned, I think it should be obvious that I want to be the first one.

thanks guys,

Guy

There is a big huge difference between guests snapping and an aspiring photographer trying to do something special and as professional as they can achieve.

You may not realize it - but some photographers actually do have a clause in the contract that states they are the "exclusive" photographer.

Reasons.

One - They don't want anyone cutting into their reprint orders

Two - They are the hired photographer and responsible for getting many "must have" shots and another photographer trying for those same shots will comprimise the hired pro's work.

Three - (somehting I've seen myself and more than once) -- the guests says..."Oh YOU are the photographer? I thought it was that girl that was running all over the church...she stepped on my husband's foot and didn't even stop to say she was sorry and then I saw her later having a drink at the bar and dancing on the dance floor... Later she pushed Aunt Sally out of the way during the cake cutting. I said to my husband - let's make sure we get the name of this photographer - we don't want to hire her for our daughter's wedding...."

Four - During formals, the guests get confused and look in all different directions when the photographer is shooting because there are 4 other cameras aimed at them.

Five - Many photographers have worked very hard on signature poses and know how to work the group and get them to have fun... The shots are wonderful - for formals where most shots guests pulled together would be very stale and stiff. This relates back to number one. I arrange a super formal group shot... This is my expertise. An amateur shoots it and gives it to the couple. the couple doesn't order it from me.

Having said that.

I would talk to the aspiring pro or artist shooter and carefully explain my needs... I even help them. Threatened? No. Bruised ego? Absolutely not. Paid to do a job? Yes. Do they know what being out of the way really means? Not usually.

I've been a guest myself at a relatives wedding. I asked permission from the photographer. I asked him to give me his rules. I abided by them. He didn't want me to shoot his group shots. Wanted me to be completely out of the way during the ceremony so he could move around without getting me in his shot in the church isles etc.. Wanted the couple to himself during the couple session. Thought it was fine - if the couple still wanted to do more shots AFTER all his family and couple shots were done - if I wanted to take them off to do something with them. I was so good that he actually came over to me during the cake shot and showed me where I could stand to get my shot.

I gave him 100% respect. I hope you do as well.

Please don't be so defensive. We've all had horror stories and we are just telling you how not to get the photographer's nose out of joint -- you did ask ;-)

You will be a royal pain in the butt with so much gear. Why not get yourself a

rangefinder with a fast prime, some good fast black and white film, and take the shots

that the pro wont be able or is not inclined to get.

If you carry that much gear, you will be an eyesore and won't be able to enjoy yourself.

You were invited as a guest, so please act like a guest.

Guy, a great thing you may also consider if you really want to get some gorgeous, artistic and portfolio worthy shots is consider to offer to give the bride and groom a 'day after' session. You will have complete control and all the time to do whatever artsy shots you'd like. Just a thought.

And yes, as mentioned in my previous post, we do expect guests with cameras, with point and shoot & SLRs and we deal with it politely and actually, rarely say anything unless they are obnoxiously in the way. The complaints that have come up in this thread and the photo.net forum have nothing to do with 'ego' as you have suggested but rather in line as what Mary posted. I had a groom the other day come pick up his package, he talked about how he noticed his cousin walking behind the officiant & gazebo during the ceremony and hanging out on the side of the bridesmaids taking photos. He said, 'all I kept thinking of during the ceremony was, I hope he's not going to be in our wedding photos'. And this was coming from the groom, their own guest with a camera was distracting him at his wedding.

I think you will do fine at this wedding because if you did not care, you would not have posted in the first place but I think it's important that both the positive and realistic, even if negative, aspects have been brought up at what can happen for others who read this.

BTW..my husbands cousin and best friend wanted us to photograph their wedding but of course since he will be in the wedding, that can't happen. We will help them find a good photographer and don't plan on bringing our cameras at all. Never have before I was a wedding photographer and never will. It's hard not to want to take beautiful photos for them, but I trust they will have what they need from the pro and I'd rather watch and enjoy the celebration without looking through a viewfinder for all of it.

I just shot a wedding where the couple had put disposable cameras on the tables. The wedding was in a resteraunt. Not only that but everyone had a camera. Throughout the entire wedding including the service there was constant flashes. People wouldn't even sit in their seats up playing professional. It got to where I was ducking to avoid getting in the way. What was the most irritating is at one points guest got mad at us and asked US to get out of the way so that they could take a shot. I told her that they were paying us and she said well were here too. It just frustrates me to no end when I can't get a shot because of guests. Especially since my packages include a CD, allowing everyone to use my pics. If you want to assist at this wedding I would say that its important not to upstage the pro. Bringing two bodies and and an extreme lens kit your going to run the risk of looking like the pro. If you want to take pics bring a simple camera and lens, don't use flash, don't shoot the formals, and don't shoot the ceremony. That area is all pro, the rest is free game. Just remember that this is some guys job and if you upstage him you might cost him future work in referals.