40D shoots infrared.

walter_mallard

I recently bought a 40D as a back-up camera and tested it to see if it would

shoot infrared. It does, with no modification. The test was this: Aim a TV remote

into the lens and press any button on the remote. If you can see a light in the

remote emitter then your camera shoots infrared. My nephew's 20D and my 5D

cannot see any light from a remote. But the 40D does. However, my

understanding is that one still needs a $300.00 dollar infrared shooting filter to -

filter out everything non-infrared.

Yep! need to put a filter on it...or have it converted... my understanding is the any camera will shoot IR with an R-72 filter on it...even if it sees the remote or not. You can also buy an IR only, converted camera.. or have yours converted.

You just need to get an R-72 filter. It is not as expensive as you mentioned.

The only issue is that the exposure time will be long.

I recently shoot at the beach, with full sun, and my exposition time was 1 second f4 with ISO 1600.

I was actually pointing out that this 40D does shoot infrared without removing anything from the sensor. I'll try to get a sample photograph on soon. The real issue that I found is that the camera not only shoots infrared, but it shoots everything else too. So in order to get rid of everything else I would need to buy a filter that lets only infrared light through. I priced those with B&H, and Adorama and they run $250.00 for one that blocks out 95% of non-infrared light. A full infrared filter runs around $300.00.

how do you know it shoots infrared if you haven't tried it with a filter yet?

i think all dlsr's will shot infrared with a filter like the hoya r72 but some will return longer shutter speeds than others. Generally the newer the dslr the stronger the ir cut filter is and hence longer exposure times are necessary.

You can do a very easy test to see if your digital camera will shoot infrared without anything being removed from it. This test will prove that the sensor is either filtered or not. Take a common TV, VCR, or DVD remote and point the emitter into the lens of the digital camera. Press any activating button on the remote and if your camera sensor is not shielded then you will photograph infrared light coming from the remote emitter. It takes as long as it takes to take any picture and you see it immediately on the screen on the back of the camera. My nephew's 20D will not photograph any light coming from the remote. And neither will my 5D. But my 40D photographs a bright light coming from the remote emitter. My 40D photographs infrared light without anything being removed from the sensor. I can't find anything about this on the internet about the 40D. Is it just this one camera or do they just not promote that feature? Who knows?

One of the issues with IR is that it covers a large spectral range beyond the visible. I assume that the built in IR filter of the 40D has a more gradual cut off than that of the 20D.

The IR filter mentioned (R-72), which strictly speaking is not an IR filter but a visible light filter, i.e. it filters out the visible and lets though the infra red, must have a very sharp cut off point at the end of the visible so that what IR light is let through is in the region before the camera built in IR filter takes out. This window can be very narrow so exposures will require to be very long.<div>00PUuW-43855584.jpg.b78ccca80a41365ede5cdb03ee2e89fe.jpg</div>

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I just got an IR filter from ebay for my Canon 40D. However I am having tough time understanding how it works. It looks as a glass cap. & the images I made with it, as expected, were black. So anyone has something on that? do I need special lighting? how does IR filter work on the 40D?

thanks.