Your favorite lens? why?

tdigi

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite, mostly used, walk around lens is the Tamron 28 - 300 MM with IS. It

has a quasi macro function and it is tack sharp. It focuses fast for action/nature

shots of birds. Previous to the 28-300 I had the Tamron 15 - 250 MM without IS.

extremely good lens.

I have the 100 - 400 MM Canon. The jury is still out. It is extremely quiet when it

focuses.

Joseph Martines

1) EF 300mm 2.8 IS - also gives me a workout during use, but the IQ, sharpness, fast focus and color rendition are absolutely unbeatable. Love this lens for landscapes and wildlife. Absolutely worth the money. Also in combination with the 1.4x tc and a full frame as well as a 1.6x crop sensor, this prime becomes very versatile.

2) tie between the EF 70-200 2.8 IS and the EF 100-400 IS

3) tie bewteen the EF 24-105 4.0 IS and EF 17-40 4.0 IS

Nikon 50 f/1.4 -- Beautiful bokeh, and it lets me get some amazing shots that even a 2.8 can't pull in. Not a fan of the fuzziness at 1.4. But I love the extreme shallow focus with close subjects at f/2 and the way I can craft photos where focus is such an active part of the composition. (Maybe I neet to get a view camera...)

Nikon 18-200mm. This lens is great for the city, where I shoot most. You can really get the big picture with the wide 18mm and then capture a well cropped close shoot tacked out at 200mm with everything in between. It also has VR which is great since in most city photography cases one does not carry a tripod for those instantaneous shoots.

In the days before auto focus and digital, I relied on the 35mm slightly wide f2.8 nikor on my Nikon. It was just wide enough and had depth of field sufficent to cover my focus problems when set at f5.6 or f8. I always liked the photos I took with that lens. Plus when on a Nikon FE it seemed to weigh almost nothing compared to the other nikon cameras and lenses.

Toss-up between two lenses:

Nikon AF-S Zoom-Nikkor D 18 - 200 mm f/3.5 - 5.6G DX ED IF VR

Sigma 10mm - 20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM

If I had to choose one or the other as a walking around lens, I'd be seriously hard-pressed. Sure, the 18-200 has a huge zoom range but that 10-20mm is like looking at the world through a crystal ball.