Focusing accuracy: Elan 7n vs. 1V

mikemeskin

My question is how good is 7n in terms of focusing fast primes. Some time ago I used to own an

Elan 7. It was a decent camera, but it could not accurately focus a 50/1.0 lens (I no longer own

either). To address the problem I upgraded to a used 1v. It works perfectly, AF is always accurate.

I love the full-frame finder, solid build, etc., etc. The problem with 1V - it's big, loud and heavy.

With any L-type lens it becomes too much to carry around. I am thinking of replacing it with an

Elan 7n. Will I have any problems focusing my primes - 50/1.4 and 135/2? I understand 7n can

focus faster then the previous model, but is it more accurate? I appreciate any advice.

The EOS 3 would be a better choice and a happy medium between the weight of the 1v and the Elan. And...you'd still get the 45 point AF that you love on the 1v (with the addition of ECF) - Otherwise, it seems you have no choice but, either get the Elan 7n (fine camera) or stick with the 1v.

I shot with an Elan 7E for years, and briefly owned the 7NE in 2004. Basically 7NE

AF was identical to the 7E. I couldn't tell any diff. On paper it was supposed to have

been tweaked to be a little faster but a few milliseconds of gain are beyond me.

Anywho, the AF of my EOS 3 was always better in low light and other demanding

situations. I'm sure the 1V is even better.

If the 1V is too big 'n heavy, all you have to do is remove the PB-E2 and replace

with a standard grip. Then it's tiny, nimble and light as a feather. I use my EOS 3

thus and, at only 27.5 oz, it feels like I ain't even carrying a camera! The 1V is only

a few oz more.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

In certain situations I found that my Elan II which I no longer use, because one of the buttons on top of the camera popped-off, was able to focus much easier than my Canon EOS3 !

In situations were I was trying to focus on let's say a wall with horizontal and vertical lines, or a venetian blind, or even a high contrast situation the Elan II focused without any effort, while the EOS3 hunted until it latched, if it latched at all. As far as speed in focusing, the EOS3 beat the Elan by a mile. I dont know how that relates to your 1V.

Giampi - Thanks for your advice, maybe I will rent the EOS 3 to try it out.

Puppy Face, - I do not use it with the booster, and it's still too big. I guess I am just spoiled.

In the camera manual it is mentioned that I can program some additional custom functions

using the Canon software (ES-E1). This software would allow me to set a personal custom

function for quiet film advance. Unfortunatelly B&H does not even list it anymore. I am not

even sure if I will be able to install it on my Mac, or how much it would cost. Maybe a canon

repair center can activate this function (CF 21)? I will give them a call today.

I would not mind if the AF speed was a little slower, but it has to be accurate. I also

used to own an A2, and it mis-focused as much as my Elan 7. I am worried that for the

prosumer bodies canon is using a different focusing algorithm, which is faster, but also

slopier then on the EOS3 and 1v. Elan body is half the weight of 1v, and about half an inch

shorter.

"I am worried that for the prosumer bodies canon is using a different focusing algorithm, which is

faster, but also slopier then on the EOS3 and 1v."

The 1V and 3 use "high precision" AF when a F2.8 or faster lens is used. With slower optics it

defaults to "normal precision" (same as consumer bodies).

"In situations were I was trying to focus on let's say a wall with horizontal and vertical lines, or a

venetian blind, or even a high contrast situation the Elan II focused without any effort, while the

EOS3 hunted until it latched, if it latched at all."

The Elan II had a fully enabled center cross sensor for AF, even with F5.6 lenses. The EOS 3/1V

needed at least a F4 lens for the center cross to be enabled. Otherwise it degraded to single axis.

With F2.8, high precision AF kicks in, something the Elans lack.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter