Eeek, Photography is turning me into an obsessive perfectionist!

Dave-- I shoot to try and express myself, show a vision of the world, communicate at a

certain level of significance, perhaps elicit some emotion in the viewer. I like to think

that I improve both technically and esthetically as I go, which takes both work and self-

consciousness. Obviously, there's something very human (perhaps, also, culturally

very American/Western civilization) about what you're saying. But I also find thinking

about greatness, and certainly perfection, distracting.

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Naturally when you get your "perfect" shot, others will not like it as much. And they will love your less than perfect shots more.

But it's not about "the" perfect shot, it's about the perfect portfolio.

Fred: I'm willing to back off the term "great" since it carries a lot of baggage. I don't need to be recognized as one of the great photographers of the early digital era (although that might be nice--postumously ;~) Still, I do want my photographs to be more than good: I want them to be strongly evocative and provocative and to communicate my view of the world as effectively as possible.

Funny, I've been thinking about this exact thing lately... for the first 2 or 3 years I only shot with my rebel/kit lens only... I didn't really care that much about anything other than the subjects, I spent a lot of time just out taking pictures... I didn't even realize the actual image quality wasn't 'great', although I have some excellent images from that time period that people have really liked.

Now I have a 40D and a whole slew of L lenses and for a while, I really did lose the 'magic' and started to give equipment / specific technique too much weight. I basically had to leave photo.net so that I would stop jumping on all the bandwagons that get thrown around in the EOS forum... I mean gear is great, but it is distracting when it comes down to it.

Lately, however, my technique has gotten to the point where it is second nature, and i've been able to focus on the image and forget about the perfectionism of constantly looking for the 'magic bullet' in the form of lenses and camera bodies... which to me, is 'unhealthy' perfectionism... it doesn't lead anywhere.

'Healthy' perfectionism is looking for the perfect photograph... spending time making the picture, bringing all manners of techniques and knowledge together and applying it in a given situation. Truly focusing on one subject, or a small range of subjects in order to master it. Funny Chris Waller mentioned trees, as that is something I've wanted to focus on and 'master' in some manner.

My passion for photography grew out of a passion for the outdoors... backpacking and climbing in the Rockies. Fortunately, it's finally come back to that, and the only 'perfectionism' I suffer from involves finding the perfect location in the perfect light with the perfect subject, background, foreground, colors, contrast, or all of the above, and having my camera with me to capture it all.