Use of 510-Pyro

Depends upon your definition of 'extensive'.

Since it's a roll your own developer and not available commercially, I would opine to say - no.

Among those who have tried it, I would venture the guess - yes. It has very welcomed properties. It's cheap and in 'stock' solution last forever. It's also a very fine grain and tanning developer. However, with it being unavailable commercially, there is limited availability to the common darkroom worker.

I guess you'd have to be more specific in your definition of 'extensive'.

You are right, James. Compared to the most prominent developers of today, 510-Pyro hardly counts. When it was first introduced by Jay de Fehr there was a growing population of users. I was just wondering if that population has decreased, increased, or what have you. There may be no way of knowing.

I have been using 510-Pyro exclusively for over two years and have found no reason to change as long as the chemicals are available. At least I don't live in fear of Kodak discontinuing it!

I still use 510 Pyro that I made a few years back. But after it's used up I will be sticking with PMK. 510 pyro is one of the best on the market but I just don't have the time to be mixing power like I use to and love how simple PMK works for me. For me!<div>00PXU7-44449584.jpg.536c6d3de0f4b43124a54959d8a9234c.jpg</div>

Hello gentlemen,

I'm always surprised to learn that someone is using 510-Pyro, because it's so unconventional in formulation; not many people have Triethanolamine on hand, and not many are willing to source it specifically to compound a developer used by so few and with so little supporting data. I don't know what to expect regarding the use of 510-Pyro, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn there was a small, but loyal user base. Over the few years since 510-Pyro was introduced, I've been sent by mail and email many fine prints and images made with 510-Pyro by photographers from many countries around the world. I couldn't begin to guess the number of users, but based on the images I've seen, it seems to me that those who do use 510-Pyro are very advanced and talented photographers. I treasure my "510-Pyro Collection" and thank those who have contributed, from the bottom of my heart.

Sincerely,

Jay

Hello Jay, good to see you back posting - I am also a new user of 510-Pyro, and a

happy one at that after a few trial rolls; results are pretty good so far, though the

lack of data that you mentioned might be discouraging to less adventurous users -

maybe you could add a little "developing data" collection section to your blog,

though if one looks hard enough one can definitely find quite a bit of information on

the net regarding 510-Pyro. What is much less documented, unfortunately, is GDS-

10, which I am trying as well: the first batch I mixed plain didn't work, I got nice

transparent negatives out of it, I think the distilled water I used had some preservers

in it or something that influenced the result; however, will try again to make up a

small time chart of my own - as I am doing for 510-Pyro - to see to which extent I

can use them for my photography.

Thank you very much Jay for adding these developers to our collective arsenal of

developing instruments, and for your contribution to the improving of the art of

photography!

Hello Vieri,

Thank you for your kind words and suggestions. I'm glad you're having success with 510-Pyro, but dismayed to learn of your troubles with GSD-10. I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'd like to help sort out your problem with GSD-10;it's a simple developer, and should be very straight forward to mix and use. Feel free to contact me directly, or post at the GSD-10 blog. Thanks again, to all of you who have supported and encouraged me in my tinkering.

Jay

Hi Antonio,

thank you for the kind words. I enjoyed working out the formula for 510-Pyro, and all of

the testing and tweaking that went into it, and learned a lot in the process, which felt a

lot more like play than work. It is very gratifying to hear from satisfied users. Thanks

for posting and be well.

Jay

Hello Jay,

thank you very much for your answer - indeed I am a very happy 510-Pyro

experimenter so far :)

I am not intending to hijack the thread, of course, so I will PM you with a couple of

questions re: GSD-10. Thanks again! Best,

Vieri

Hi Jay.

Nice to see that you are still around on these forums. I ran out of 510, but might use it in the future. I find staining developers harder to work with - since it's harder to judge negatives and the midtones are not what I like. That's just me though. 510-pyro with a little of sulfite makes a good non-staining developer. It also develops faster than PC-TEA at the 1:50 dilution, so 510-pyro's staining can be turned off if needed.

Thanks for the GSD-10 invention! Most developer tweakers don't care about pushing film and shooting in low light. That was very cool. I am planning to use it more, although glycin is on the pricy side :(. When or if Neopan 1600 is no longer manufactured, and I will be forced to push 400 film, this is the developer I will use. You are the best, dude.

I'd like to add that mixing developers is not very hard, as long as you have the ingredients measured out (so you don't have to buy a scale - this is the biggest barrier to entry for many people). It's about as much effort as developing a couple of rolls of film. Only you mix a developer something like once a year or less.TEA is widely available from several photo chemical companies, albeit in a gallon size if you want savings. That gallon will last me probably more than five years. People make such a big deal out of it....

Hi Dan.

Staining developers do require some special consideration when used with VC papers, but once I wrapped my head around the issues, I was able to make the most of the combo. I'm glad to know you're enjoying GSD-10, as one of the very first users. I think you tested GSD-10 before I published the formula, if I remember correctly. Push processing, compensation and stand development are so inextricably entwined with the dark arts, the attraction for me was irresistible. Plus, I was super-baked one night and bought an assload of glycin after reading some hyperbole-rich descriptions of its mystical properties, so I was kind of committed. I'm glad something useful came of it, unlike so many other impulsive decisions I've made. Be well, my friend.

Jay

• 3 months later...