Starting up a career in photography

Hello all, I was wondering is someone can give me some advice. In the last 3-4 years, I have been taking

photos and developing my skills with the digital camera, but most importantly, my ability to see things

through a lens and capture beauty, moments, concepts, intrigue and power. Through out this time, I have

been hired a few times for assignments, mostly for head shots and dance photos. I believe that have

develop some confidence in my photographs, hence, I have made the decision to follow a possible career

in this field. I would like to start up a website, I have a few photos that are in consideration to be

displayed in the portfolio section and I have the website construction under control, my worry now is,

what do I write as my bio or "about me" page since I am so green at this business and in the field itself. I

obviously want to have anyone who sees my bio to have confidence in me, but with little experience, what

do I write? I do not want to make things up or exaggerate who I am, but at the same time, have the ability

to solicit and confirm assignments.

Also, is it to my disadvantage to have a website that offers a wide variety of photographic options? Or

should I focus on a genre like fine art or conceptual? Most of my family members encourage to be wide

reaching so that I can cater to a lot of needs and get the jobs, although, I feel that this make sense, it

does not sit well with me to spread myself thinly. I do want the jobs and generate income to support

myself and my wife and progress into this art/field, but I am so new to this that I just don't know how to

get my head space correctly to start in this business.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts on this and for taking the time.

Paolo

I suggest you forget it. There are thousands more people trying to make a living in photography than there is room for. You will save yourself heartache, money, time and dignity by not doing it. However if this is not an option, find a specialty with few practitioners and promote yourself. I have no idea what this might be, but an enterprising brain has a way....

I have heard that it is a good idea to focus on one type of photography that you do well as opposed to being a jack of all trades. I guess the thinking is that, even if you can do both portraits and nature macros well, your name will become associated with great portraiture and further things better.

I don't know anything about being a pro photographer, but it is definitely true that photography has become so accessible to so many people that it is a very saturated market. And it's a market that likes to get photos for free, since people are so willing to submit images in the hopes that it'll be shown for a brief moment somewhere.

Can you post more of your photos for us to see and critique? Are they on Flickr.com?

Have you researched your geographic area? How many professional photographers per capita are in your target market? What do they specialize in?

What equipment do you own or have immediate access to?

Mr. Cahn's statement "I suggest you forget it" may be true. But you have to provide us with more detail about your business plan.

I am not a pro photographer, but I am a professional.

Most "scouts" look for a specialty ... If I am looking for a wedding photographer, your ability to shoot a Car Race and Magazine Ad are encouraging of your ability, but irrelevant to my needs. The "known" wedding photographer will win every time.

In life, I respect the well rounded guy ... but will tend to recognize specialized talent.

My advise is to consider this.

I really don't know much about the business end of things, but I do know that it is

essential to develop a good business plan. My husband has begun a couple new ventures

and read a lot about starting things up before going ahead. Many businesses fail because

they haven't planned. Something to consider as you get going if you haven't done so

already.

I think it is wonderful that you want to pursue photography. Given the large number of

people in the field, I would think that it would be better to specialize rather than try to be

good at everything. You can always add additional services at a later date.

When I was reading your question, I also thought that you might try getting your name out

in an area by targeting certain groups. You mentioned dance photography. You could

offer discounted promotions or help with a fundraiser by contributing your skills. I

recently received an email from a friend's daughter who is in 4H. They have a

photographer who is offering 30 minute photography sessions at a park for $30. After

the session you receive a disk with the images to print as you like. Proceeds go to the

group. Obviously, you could arrange for a portion of the proceeds as well as get

advertising for yourself. Similarly, my daughter's school holds a school wide auction.

Numerous businesses donate items as well as arrange for promotion time during the

auction. As people view items and look through lists, they will see your name and

associate positive feelings with it as someone supporting something they value. Just some

thoughts from someone not in the business.

While there may be thousands more people trying to make a living in photography than there

is room for, there are also thousands of people in thousands of communities and cities who

are, in fact, earning a full or partial income from photography. Some folks on this forum

suggested "Taking the Leap: Building a Career as a Visual Artist" by Cay Lang.

Hello Everyone, thank you very much for taking the time to provide me with your thoughts

on the matter, I really appreciate it. I respect all your opinions and I will use them as

guides to this venture. Thinking about it now, I might have prematurely jumped on the

notion that it's all about passion, dedication and follow through, a fool-proof plan is

definitely in order, I will revisit mine and fill in the holes.

Interestingly enough, my wife just got a contract in Macao, China so we will be moving

there next year. I think I will need to put this decision to be a working photographer in

low gear for now.

Thank you again for all the suggestions and ideas.

I shoot with a Nikon D200 for now and I do have some pictures on Flickr. I just created an

account there so I am still uploading images, but please feel free to give me some advice

on my images when you see a convenient time.

Thank you again,

Paolo

Stunning photos! They were good enough to make me want to view pass the first page. You definitely can pursue a niche photographic career. It won't be easy initially, but I can see you getting jobs and more jobs. Fill in the voids on your business plan. Use it to convince a financial lender to give you money to purchase more equipment if need be.

More importantly, don't give up regardless of all negative comments directed towards you.

Go work for someone else first and see how many hours they put in each week. If that does not scare you, along with the meager fiancial rewards then you just might learn something about the business - which is an essential prerequisite.

>>There are thousands more people trying to make a living in photography than there is room for.<<

This is true, but it has been true for a long time. The trick is to find something as a 'hook' (quality is one of the best ones) that will make what you are offering worth something to somebody. The one sure thing is that this cannot be a passive effort. Merely displaying your wares on a website is not enough. You will need to make connections and get recommendations from customers to other potential customers, etc.