What is so good about Rangefinders.

zafar1

"<I>below 75mm you do not need retrofocus lenses</I>"

<P>

Unfortuntely this is not as true as it was before the Leica CL and M5. The swinging meter arm made retrofocus wide-angle lenses nessesary. The M8 also performs better in the corners with retrofocus lenses.

SLRs and rangefinders (RFs) have different strengths and weaknesses. With no moving mirror, RFs such as Leicas are smaller, quieter, easier to focus accurately in dim light, and less vulnerable to blur resulting from shutter vibration. When used with lenses between 35mm and 90mm or so, this makes RFs ideal for unobtrusive candid portraiture when shooting under available-light conditions. Leica also makes some lenses of high speed (large maximum aperture) and exceptionally high optical quality. In my experience, RFs with fast lenses and fast film remain usable in light much dimmer than most digital cameras can handle effectively without flash. SLRs, by comparison, are typically larger, heaver, louder, and may be harder to focus in dim light. They offer a clearer preview of what the picture will look like, however, if used in reasonably bright light with lenses wider than 35mm or longer than 90mm, especially with long telephoto lenses. Modern SLRs and DSLRs also offer features such as automatic exposure control, automatic focusing, built-in flash, and digital imaging rather than film. SLRs probably offer greater flexibility for a wider variety of conditions and shooting styles. For unobtrusive portraiture under available-light conditions, though, RFs are still a more effective tool. While some photographers strongly advocate one kind or the other, the choice between RFs and SLRs is not necessarily an either/or situation. If you enjoy photography enough to shoot under a variety of different conditions, sooner or later you'll end up using both RFs and SLRs, and appreciating each type for its strengths.

Andy,

"The only 35mm-sized SLRs that still even offer them are the Canon EOS1 cameras (maybe the Nikon F6/FM10?). Certainly in digital the EOS1 bricks are the only ones."

For shame -what about the Leica R9 still currently available from our beloved company?!

Robin Smith

Robin:

R9 is out of production, although there is some stock left, and Leica keeps it on the web

site as a place holder to keep the R system "alive" until PhotoKina.

My understanding is that the R9 could not comply with new EU regulations on hazardous

materials in electronics. and needed a replacement design even without the influence of

digital and/or AF.

But true - it is/was, except for EOS1, the last remaining SLR accomodating to MF focus

users.