ST-E2 transmitter question

tdigi

If I have a 580Ex2 can I just use it like a transmitter ( master/slave) to fire another 430 or 580?

What is the advantage of getting a ST-E2 transmitter? Would it just make more sense to buy another flash

unit?

thanks

The advantage of having a ST-E2 is solely freeing up one more flash for off-camera positioning. In your case, you're stuck with one on-camera flash, even if you don't want on-camera light. Now, it's a shame to waste all that precious 580 juice, isn't it? With a st-e2, you loose control over a third group of slaves (both the 550 and 580 can control A:B:C), and if shooting manually you have to adjust strobe by strobe (unlike Nikon's excellent CLS commander), but it will give you one more light to put wherever you want (within the limits of system coverage).

But for the $$ I can buy another 430 Ex for just a little bit more then the ST-E2 so

considering the cost won't another flash make more sense?

Cant I make my on camera light not fire and just fire off the slave?

am i missing something?

It works well with in its limitations...however I think it is in desperate need of an upgrade. Canon should really build a system that is RF and not IR and can fully control all three groups(like the 580EX ans 550EX) including manual power settings (for three flashes at least) right from the camera. Now that would would be a nice tool.

Jason

The ST-E2 acts as a focus assist as well.

It is small and light, unlike the 580EX2.

It is cheaper than another flash unit.

A disadvantage (for some) is it can only control 2 groups instead of 3. If you use 3 groups then don't bother with the ST-E2.

The entire system is IR and not radio... so it tends to work better indoors and requires close line of sight outdoors. I've only used it indoors so far and I've had no problems.

If you need fill flash on the camera, then you need your 580/550 on camera. If you don't, the ST-E2 is very light!

Hi Tommy

You can use another 580EX if you like as the master in replacement of the STE2. You can also disable the master from firing the flash, for use solely as a transmitter.

I recognise the limitations of IR transmission but everyone should take a look here, these are soon to be released in the UK www.radiopopper.com

Best invention ever.

"I can buy another 430 Ex for just a little bit more then the ST-E2"

You can use a 430EX as a slave (ie controlled BY a 580EX or ST-E2), but you can't use one to replace an ST-E2.

"I recognise the limitations of IR transmission but everyone should take a look here, these are soon to be released in the UK www.radiopopper.com"

Common misunderstanding - Canon wireless flash don't work on IR - they work on visable light. A master controller (like a 580EX) transmits commands from the main flash tube during the pre-flash stage, and the ST-E2 also has a flash tube, albeit one that's restricted to the low reds by the front cover of the ST-E2 (the LEDS in the ST-E2 are only used for focus assist, not communication).

In reality the ST-E2 works great inside; Outside thay can be used, but you have to put a LOT more thought into setting them up.

I tried using the flash as masters, the distance is not any where as good as the ST-E2, after encountering problems with flash as master (big room flash in back would not get signal)went with the ST-E2 (no problems since), The ST-E2 can also be used for focusing in low light situations, the infrared light will help you focus in such situations. It is expensive but not as much as the wizards would be, I use the ST-E2 to control 3 flashes and occasionally 4, quite a few wizards to control that many flashes.

From what I have read they should have the same range, in theory. I do use the flash as a master, also, but it is much heavier then the STE2. I considered the pocket wizards but just could not justify the additional expense, at least not for me, and some of the events that I do are very low light and the ste2 no flash with either my 50f/1.4 or 35 f/2 work great, do not even notice the extra weight on the camera. The flash has the advantage of 3 channel controls A,B,C, the ste2 has two channels. The Ste2 is much easier to use for control of light levels (at least for me). I take a photograph look at the image and histogram and can easily adjust the light levels on the channels on the ste2.

"They are both specified in their respective operational manuals as being identical."

In theory perhaps, but in reality, a 580EX master gives far more reliable triggering outdoors.

Canon's Chuck Westfall also had this to say on this very topic ...

"From: cwestfall@cusa.canon.com Subject: Re: Question about Transmitter ST-E2 IR difficulties To: david huddleston <david@aztecbrands.com> Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 14:03:27 -0400

Hi, David:

Thanks for your questions and comments on the ST-E2. I wish I had the time to answer everything your asked one by one, but I don't, so let me try to summarize the main points:

* The 2 biggest advantages of the ST-E2 are its relatively low cost and its near-IR filter, which masks the fact that the wireless signals are in fact being emitted by a small electronic flash that's built-in.

* The facts that the flash unit itself is relatively low-powered and masked by the near-IR filter are its biggest weaknesses. These factors combine to reduce the ST-E2's effective usable outdoor range to a maximum of 5m/16.4 feet in the center of the receptor's coverage angle, and 3.5m/11.5 feet at the edges.

* If you're interested in overcoming these weaknesses within the current range of Canon accessories, you need look no further than the Speedlite 550EX itself. When it is set as a "master unit" for an E- TTL wireless flash configuration, its preflash is stronger than that of the ST-E2, and it is not hampered by the presence of a near-IR filter. This increases the effective usable outdoor range of the 550EX to 10m/32.8 ft at the center and 7m/23.2 feet at the edges, albeit at the expense of being discreet

* Don't expect to see any sort of radio-control device to replace the ST-E2. Wireless E-TTL depends on light signals, not radio. Changing the system from light signals to radio signals is problematic in several ways: first, it starts getting involved with FCC and other various regulating organizations. This could potentially reduce the effective range of the system even more than the ST-E2 does already. Second, it would involve the complete redesign of the system, not only from the standpoint of the transmitter but also from the standpoint of the receivers on the "slave units." Thus, it would obsolete all the 550EXs, ST-E2s, MR-14EXs, and 420EXs that have already been sold. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to be the one who has to explain to hundreds of thousands of Canon customers that all the flash equipment they've purchased in the last 3 years is no longer compatible with our latest technology. Third and perhaps most important, radio-based wireless control is simply more expensive to make and to sell than the current E-TTL wireless system.

* Last but not least, I wouldn't be surprised to see a replacement for the ST-E2 at some point in the future. If I don't miss my guess, it will be compatible with our existing system and it will be much improved in terms of performance. This is just my hunch, not a product announcement. Thanks again for your interest!

Best Regards, Chuck Westfall Assistant Director/Technical Information Dept. Camera Division/Canon U.S.A., Inc. "

Thanks Tommy for asking this, I was going to get one but I`ll atick to 580ex2 as master, that piece from westfall was almost 7yr ago, which is the improved model? You can see in the dark with a 580/550 etc. and stop the master firing if just want a simple side light. My flashes live on the bodies so the weights no bother, looks like the ste2 is antiquated. a new one will be an improvement, (but thats another `when will canon` post) I use a cheap e*** radio trigger with studio strobes been good for 4 yr now but I am at present setting up a portable ettl pack with just 4 ex`s..cheers:)

Tommy;

There's two ways to go about this depending on how you usually shoot. 1) If you just use the 580 as a master, and buy a 430 for a fill lite you can still move the Master off the camera with the 2' coil cord. If you are shooting portriats in studio or in the field this works well.

While the 580 can control 3 groups only 2 of them are ratio controlled. The third is just in manual controlled via exosure comp setting and is meant for lighting backgrounds. Frankly, you can accompolish that with a cheap $20 vivitar with optical slave option.

Which leads me to the next option. 2) you could instead of buying a 430 get an STE2. This will fire your 580 from way more distance than the 2' the cord gives you. But then you only have one flash. Again you can always manually set cheap 3rd party flashes for background lighting, but if you want ratio lighting you need two Canon ETTLII flashes.

Ultimately, I ended up with all three in this order. First just a 430 flash. Next I added the STE2 and finally added the 580.

To start, I would suggest you get the other flash 430 and pick up a 2' cord for $40 as well. You'll have more flexibility with that than with one flash and an STE2.

it is a waste, buy a 430. the only thing it gives you of any use is it is smaller. why buy it to "free up another flash" when you could just buy another flash instead of it. I had it and sold it within a week after I figured that out. you can still use your 580 in focus assist mode with out firing the flash. STE2 costs as much as any xxxEX flash (pick your flavor). If you want remote buy the cheapie ebay wireless flash units for $30 to get it off camera, but you will be shooting in manual flash mode, which isnt too hard to figure out. YMMV

oh by the way, the light triggering by the canon ETTL system is worthless in bright light, trust me. Must be line of sight. There is a new product called a radio popper that just came out (I get mine next week YAY!) so I use wireless triggers with flash in manual. RPs are the missing link. Chuck's note about the "radio-control" device is now defunct. http://www.radiopopper.com/

"* Don't expect to see any sort of radio-control device to replace the ST-E2. Wireless E-TTL depends on light signals, not radio." - Not anymore!

• 2 weeks later...

Todd - for the radiopopper - The installation says that the transmitter must be placed on top of the flash head. If you don't have the flash fire thats the master flash on the camera, does the transmitter still send the signal?

Did you get yours yet?