Camera protector for 40D

todd_torfin

Camera armor is sorta like a camera condom--a rubber outside cover. Protects against zips

'n bumps but grit can get underneath if you toss it in a sand dune.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I just used black electrical insulating tape over all the buttons on my 5D. The colour is indistinguichable from the body colour and it makes it less attractive to theives with the Canon logo covered up too.

I obviously had to leave moving parts clear, such as the two wheels and the lens mount - although I guess if I was shooting in Auto, I could probably cover those wheels up as well.

Why? That's my first response. I think all those devices will actually trap more dirt and moisture than they repel.

A 40D is a tool that needs some care, but is hardly delicate. Ease of use is the most important aspect of any tool, so why make it more awkward (and all those "protectors do so to some extent).

I use canned air to blow off the camera occasionally, and I try to keep it from banging on things, but I bought it to take pictures, not to look at.

I took all the plastic covers off our lamp shades too.

Plastic bag (with ziplock or similar closure) with a hole for the lens and some gaffer tape to seal/secure the lens hood to the bag. If you are shooting in blowing dust, put a filter (UV) on the lens, too.

Does Canon still sell "never-ready" cases?

Personally, I'm not so worried about dust, but rain is another matter. So...

A shower cap from just about any hotel or motel.

Any clear plastic bag that's large enough.

A cheap plastic poncho (which also keeps me and the rest of my camera bag dry).

An umbrella (ditto).