If Nikon...

If Nikon made a 35mm digital back at the price of a midmarket DSLR would you buy it?

Personally I haven't made the jump to digital yet and I'm still shooting with my

FE2. It would be great if I could make the jump with my FE2...I think I'm too

used to the way it handles.

Anyone else?

It would be nice. Whoever invented it would get bought out by the larger camera companies which have a vested interest in the status quo.

Lots of things are that way. Good inventions that never see the light of day. I know major companies that have improved versions of thing just waiting until it has to be marketed, or never.

I remember the articles about e-film (vapourware). Must still be around on the internet somewhere. I believe one of the most difficult problems to overcome was the interfacing between a digital add-on module and a camera. The problems to make a digital 35 mm back probably outweigh the cost of the camera part.

Nope. I would hate having to go to a menu on the back of the camera to talk to the thing's brains, rather than operate dedicated controls on the body. There's too many good reasons to think in terms of full-body integration. Where does the battery go? Where does the storage go? It would end up humpbacked, like its MF counterparts, or you'd need a large vertical grip component... and then you're looking at different backs for different form factor bodies. Nah, it's a waste of time and money. Hold your breath, decide you're going to read <i>War and Peace</i>, or Neal Stephenson's <i>Baroque Cycle</i>, and when you come back around, you'll see more variations on the D3 and D300, and it you'll forget wanting a kludgey, awkward, also-destined-for-obsolesence bolt-on back.

<br><br>

By the way, I really recommend that particular three-parter from Stephenson. Even if you aren't trying to distract yourself until the next Nikon bodies come out.

Why not get an used EOS 5D and use your Nikkors with adapters on this full-frame body?

Of course I'd love to have this "e-film" thingie (yep, I remember the hype), especially for my classic cameras, but I guess it will not see the light of day in the foreseeable future.

Every Contax G2 owner, including me wanted one. But Nikon, Canon compete on selling these menus, this is what the masses want. If they can't sell 35 million copies globally, they won't make it.

An Fe2 (I had one but it was stolen at gun point along with an M645 and F4s) is a great camera, IMHO, one of the greatest.

My sorry opinion is that all of the software is great, but not for me. I'm shooting film and rangefinders and they were kind of expensive. If C or N wanted my money, they'd offer a product I wanted.

Hasselblad did it, though they had a huge hunk of back real estate to put it in to start with. Would it be acceptable to you if it had a A12-sized box on the back? :-)

I'm still waiting for a cheap 4x5 or 8 x 10 digital scanning back. That one ought to be easy, right? A cheap USB-powered 8-1/2 x 11 scanner costs about $40. What's the problem here?