than I have taken images (according to the sequential image counter).<p>I had

thought that perhaps as part of the QA control process a few hindred actuations

were performed at the factory on a premise similar to a PC burn-in test (most

failures happen in the first few operations).<p> FWIW, the Firmware version is

1.01 - I have downloaded but not yet installed the 1.3 Firmware, assuming a

recently manufactured body would have the most up-to-date Firmware.<p>When I

buy someting that is backordered, am told it is coming in from Pentax and I

have been assigned a specific unit in the shipment, I assume I am buying brand

new equipment.<p>Should I be concerned?<p>Should I ask for a replacement?

Well, if it was me, I would ask for a rebate (10-15%) for an opened item in a form of check or maybe credit (if you are planning on purchasing additional lenses/accessories). Considering that K10D is being replaced by K20D, it might be very tough to get a replacement (brand new/unopened). 239 shutter actuations is not a huge number and if the camera works and has warranty, I think getting Adorama to give you "open box" discount would be the best thing to do.

I don't think this is really a problem. I bought the K10D in january from beach camera, and my manufacture date is also in mid-2007. Also, from what I have read, all K10Ds come with firmware 1.01. My body had around 100-200 shutter actuations brand new, which is supposed to be typical for a new body. I think Pentax stopped manufacturing new K10D/K100D units quite some time back, and anything you buy is coming from a warehouse somewhere, and not from the factory.

Enjoy your new camera and don't worry too much about it too much!

I also read that all new K10d cameras have a couple hundred actuations, I'm assumung for testing purposes. I would not worry about it. I bought one a few weeks ago and it also needed the firmware update. Easy as pie. I'm loving the camera and glad I didn't go for the K20d.

@ Ankit: Thanks for confirming what I originally thought.<p>I made a friendly inquiry to Adorama (not a complaint - just a request that they look in to this and call me, along the lines of my "should I be concerned" tone in the post) - a supervisor said it was weird that the mfg. date was so long ago. They are investigating and they will call.<p>I have purchaased stuff from Adorama for several years and they have always been straight. I'm certain this will resolve itself.

I've heard no one say that their K10D came with more recent firmware.

The box might have been opened as someone in the store (you know a real live customer) might have been interested and then decided against it. Although, I'd think they don't open a new box for each customer.

However, having sold cameras, people did often request the entire box contents be opened, and then checked off as being present. Or on higher priced items we might actually open a box in front of a customer to check all items were present.

You'd be suprised how many people lose a cable, buy a camera steal the cable, and then return the camera saying quote, "nothing wrong with the camera, but it didn't come with a cable." "Do you want to exchange it, no, I got another somplace else (like 4 months ago)..."

If the OP was notified by the store that his camera is arriving directly from Pentax, then why would the sales clerk open the box? I doubt that any store double checks each package contents before shipping. It looks to me like they actually found one in the store that could be a demo but they definitely did not order one directly from Pentax.

I purchased my K10D from Calgary in Jan/07. The manufacture date is Oct/24/07 model revision 2.1 and 86 shutter count in my first shot.

The firmware is also 1.01, and I have upgraded to 1.3 since then. There is no shrink-wrap in the box itself (as in any DLSR camera); therefore, it is hard to tell it has been opened/inspected or not.

@ Michael Costello: RE shutter actuation count.<p>I'm no expert, but I opened a PEF file in PhotoME, a freeware metadata editor. In PhotoME there is a line in the Manufacturer Notes section labeled Shutter Count. That number is higher than the image number (file name) - and the disparity is consistent across all images.

Dear Paul

can I please take the opportunity to introduce myself to you; my name is Helen, & I've been appointed recently as the Customer Service Ambassador for Adorama, as part of a new strategic plan for the company.

My role is to pick up on sales, website & policy issues, and where possible, address them, to ensure complete satisfaction when you purchase from Adorama Camera (whether on-line, in the store or by telephone).

I noted that you have already been in contact wih our customer services department regarding this issue, but wanted to follow up; if you don't feel comfortable with the outcome, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

I can't promise over night resolution, but be assured that each & every customer is important to us at Adorama, and I will always do my best to ensure that you are happy with your purchase.

You can contact me at: helen.oster@adoramacamera.com

Best wishes

Helen Oster

Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador