Is the photographer necessarily the one who snaps the shot?

Why would it be Jorg Schmidt-Reitwein's? He wasn't the Director of Photography on that

film, he did Nosferatu. It was Thomas Mauch who did Stroszeck. And credit for a film is

almost always given to the director, no matter who photographs it. In many cases, there are

two directors of photography, one for principal photography and the other for second unit or

special photography. Am I missing something here, Spencer? Is there some hidden question

that is not clear?

Sudio Photographers back in the 19th century hardly ever clicked the shutter. They were more like film producers setting up the props, backrounds, pose etc. The person who clicked the shutter was usually an assistant, but the Studio photographer got almost all the credit for taking the picture.

There seems to be at least one reported example of a well known photographer not firing the shutter himself, and thats Gregory Crewdson.

I don't think that the authorship of his work is a doubt in his mind or those of the people and organisations that spend huge amounts on his work. And I have little doubt who the cheques get made out to.

Robert Leverant wrote a slim volume years ago: Zen and the Art of Photography. The goal of

the Zen photographer is a picture that 'it' shoots, not you. As in Zen archery where the target

is 'hitting its self'. Zen archers need not even hit the physical target, and I suspect that Zen

photographers need not make a technically or artistically wonderful picture. Maybe that's a

relief. I wouldn't know.

Spencer~

A film and a photograph are two different things, as I understand them.

Your original question; "So, with photography, what if I were to give the camera to someone else and direct them what to shoot; would I still be the photographer?", has already given the answer.

Your next question; "So, Jay, who's image would it be?", is dependent upon the agreement of the director and photographer. Photographers sell or give away their rights to copyright all the time.