Nikon D3 Vs Canon Mark III

marc_morris

I'm a long-time Canon shooter who was about to buy a 1D MkIII last year. Am I ever glad I didn't.

The release of Nikon's D3 with its noise-free high ISO performance at the same time as Canon's 1D MkIII with its embarassingly bug-riden autofocus is comparable to Apple releasing the superb Leopard OS at the same time as Microsoft trotted out their dreadful Vista cludge.

In response to Microsoft's OS fiasco, I'm migrating from Windows to the new Mac Pro I just bought. Regarding DSLRs, I'll wait and see if Canon can match Nikon's current high ISO and AF superiority within the next year.

Meanwhile, I predict we will be seeing a lot more black telephotos on D3s along the sidelines at pro sports events and the Beijing Olympics.

Marc, around my area, print media and wire services are still using what they already have been using, Canon gear. MkIIn & MkIII with white lenses are still the majority. I do see a few D3s recently, but they are of those that have been shooting D2hs & D2xs. In essence, I don't think that recent MkIII's AF problem and the supposedly D3 superior high ISO performance are justifiable for businesses, large or small, to switch imaging system/pool of gear. I also speculate that another reason for Canon users not switching is that Nikon's fast supertelephotos are still unreasonably more costly than Canon's similar offering.

Marc, hope all is well across the Pond.

^_^

Hi Wilson

I set this question from a conversation I overheard this weekend at Pro soccer match in the U.K .The problem is that we all like to get 100% in focus pictures. The realty is we don't and what ever gear we buy or the amount of money we spend we will all miss a picture from time to time. I have a 15 year old 400mm f2.8 lens which is still very sharp.

I am still unlikely to find a full proof system. Just remember when I started in the late 1980's we manual focused and carried a light metre for correct slide exposure. So these days it's a lot easier and all you budding sports photographers out there it takes time and effort to take a good action shot so be patient and learn from your mistakes.

As for me I am waiting for the end of the english football season and then tennis for the summer.

I am still a canon man for the moment.<div>00OegM-42074484.jpg.fb158a92bb9fb30424dc0e51642e0f66.jpg</div>

The Nikon D3 is the best photojournalist's camera on the market, bar none. There are a

variety of reasons why this is true, ranging from general image quality to ergonomics,

from high ISO performance to incredibly well thought out engineering and firmware

design, a vast array of useful features, compatibility with decades worth of top-notch

Nikkors, etc.

IMHO, any pro PJ who uses a D3 for a week will agree. It's that simple.

If you go to http://www.sportsshooter.com and look at the forums you will see a topic on USA Today shooter Robert Hanashiro going back to Nikons. I don't know if it is just him or the whole USA Today staff or just some of the area offices. It is fortuitous for Nikon to have the D3 out right when Canon is pissing off a lot of shooters with the underperforming AF of the 1DMkIII.