Galleries/Exhibitions

mr. sullen

Interested in answers to this one, myself...actually, I'm meeting w/a Maine gallery owner this afternoon, who originally approached me at the last craft show I was in! Please keep your fingers crossed, say a prayer, send up smoke signals--anything to help the cause! Do you have a gallery exhibit coming up? Your pix are so fantastic...any gallery would be lucky to have you! Good Luck, Buddy.

Visit the gallery. Ask for their submissions information and kit (if they have one).

Submit it with some samples. Act confident of what you are doing and producing but

don't overdo it. Follow up a month or two later if you don,t get an immediate

response. If the gallery cannot (too much work to present) or will not present your

work, ask for a recommendation of a more suitable gallery or exhibition site.

I am no expert on this but if you treat the gallerist with respect he or she will do the

same. My small seasonal gallery has specific objectives (non trendy but interesting

contemporary art) and we have necessarily refused some artists who have gone on to

show in New York and elsewhere, after having taken our suggestions of more ideal

venues for their work. Many gallery owners are there to help artists who are sincere

as well as talented. I have been refused my work and have difficulty showing

elsewhere, but I believe a part of the failure was having followed the gallery

guidelines for submission, and/or of lacking patience.

1) Create a set of around 20 prints, matted to 11x14, and put into a black Century box.

2) Leaving your portfolio box at home, visit galleries, arts commissions, cafes, etc where you

think your work might compliment what is currently offered.

3) Strike up a conversation with the owner/rep/gallerist (when they're not busy dealing with

customers) and inquire if the gallery is currently reviewing new work. If so, make an appointment

to bring your portfolio box of prints in for review. Also, during the initial inquiry, it might be

good to have a small book of your work handy if the initial conversation shows interest - but do

not force that if that interest isn't shown - nobody likes pressure/surprises.

www.citysnaps.net

On galleries, take your portfolio with you, visit the gallery, find out if they are even willing to look at your portfolio there on the spot and how to make a submission and be prepared for disappointment. Either you will be disappointed right away by being told your type of photography doesn't fit in with what they are looking for, or they "don't do photography" or a number of other excuses and if you survive and get to make a submittal (CD's or online in most cases) chances are you will never hear from them again. Only one in more than ten will ever send your material back or show any other sign of life. If you can't deal with this reality (and I can tell you from experience with over 40 galleries, it is real) then don't even bother.

There is nothing rude about stepping into a gallery with a binder or box under your arm and politely asking. It all depends on how you behave. The added advantage is that even if people are not interested in your photography for their gallery, many are willing to take a look and give valuable advice right their and then; something that wouldn't happen without your prints at hand.

Buy and read Cay Lang -- Taking the Leap: Building a Career as a Visual Artist.

It is an excellently written book with thorough examples. I sincerely doubted that anyone could write a good, enjoyable book on this subject. But, I have read Cay Lang's book cover to cover and not only was it entirely informative, it was also not in the least bit tiring or difficult to read.

The book is, once again,

Cay Lang

Taking the Leap:

Building your Career as a Visual Artist

Agree, with Brad. Howwever, nothing wrong with visiting and introducing yourself

and asking the questions I mentioned earlier. They then know who they are dealing

with if they invite you to submit. Don't expect a gallerist to spend any time with you

if there are visitors in the gallery, nor will he want to get involved in a showing of

your portfolio when clients can come in anytime.

Shay: Restaurants, ckinic waiting rooms, foyers adjoining theatres, meeting rooms,

anywhere where the administration would like to "decorate" their walls and

wouldallow images with captions and cost or contact coordinates. Take care that

there is some surveillance, but nobody (even most galleries) can afford insurance

against loss or damage.

Shay: Where I used to live ( Waterbury, Connecticut) the public library and the local hospital monthly hung art shows. One had to wait several months, but they would show as many as forty prints. And the local newspaper always ran a few pictures and story about the artist. I do not know if it is a widespread practice. You might check out some public buildings in your area.