SCAM WARNING!

<P>It appears that scammers are currenetly going through the photo.net

classifieds, as I've just had the following email:</P>

<P>"Dear Seller,

I am interested in purchasing your (Contax 21mm f2.8 Distagon) without any

further delay.

But before i proceed on this transaction i will like to comfirm the

following details from you:

1. Do you accept a ( Cashier Check or money orderss) as mode of payment?

2. What is the final asking prize?

3 Will you let my shipping company agent in U.S come to your

doorstep to pick it up? cuz I would' nt want you to bother yourself

about the shipping problems.

If so, you are to provide me with your NAME, ADDRESS, TEL Number,

to mail out the payment

ASAP.

I will also want you to know that the payment you will receive will

include the fees for the shipping company, so you will have to

deduct the cost of your sales only from the payment and send the

shipping cost and insurance fees in cash to the shipping company

agent in U.S through western union money transfer.

This will enable me to make a schedule with the shipper to come for

the pick-up of (Contax 21mm f2.8 Distagon) at your doorstep and they will

deliver it to my relative in the U.S as well."</P>

<P>WARNING! DO NOT RESPOND TO ANY OFFER LIKE THIS.<br>

If you are advertising anything for sale, they will take your item, have you

send cash to them, and leave you with a dud,stolen chashiers-check or money

order.<br>

These people are scum and have been trying to rip off artists is Cornwall in

the UK recently, some artists have sadly had their work and money stolen.<br>

I'm sure they're trying the scam all over the world. Don't get caught

youself.</P>

<P>Best wishes,<br>

Matt</P>

LOL...that scam is still kicking around? Im surprised folks are still falling for it. Basically, stay away from anyone wanting to use Western Union and / or any third party "Agent" or "Escrow" accounts or any type of third party delivery service.. I only ship UPS and state so in all my auctions with the warning that i will cancell the bid if they want me to ship by any other method. Man, People are bad, really bad.. all these scammers really do is diminish my outlook on society and make me want to move away to a desert island someplace. Thanks though, for posting this. With all the newbs to the internet, we prolly should be preposting these types of warnings again and again.

craig, I think you might be acting unnecessarily cautious. I've used iEscrow before without problems. Also, UPS has a bad reputation in my region for losing/damaging packages. If I was looking at your auction, and there wasn't an option for FedEx, I likely wouldn't bid.

<P>Just a warning for the newbies really. Us old cynics might spot it a mile off, but there's always plenty off new fodder for these parasytes, it's how they keep going.<P>

<P>I hadn't actually thought about getting him to send me any checks, maybe I should have tried it to get rid of a few of his supply.<br>I don't think he'd go for it now though, since I told him I thought he should pay me ?1500 in cash by western union, and I would send him a box with a turd in it. ;-)<br>Next time though...</P>

Uncle Goose, "I don't see the problem, I mean, you don't ship the item until you get the money right? I mean, why should I care if someone wants to use Western Union, you go to an office, collect your cash and that's it. As long as you have the money I don't see any problem." The scammers don't use legitimate money orders or cashiers checks, they use forgeries. You can go to a bank and get your money but when the bank processes the the check and finds out it's a phony, they will take the corresponding amount out of your account and you are scammed. If you were dumb enought to ship the merchandise to the scammer before the check did not clear, you are double scammed. Because of the frequency of this type of rip-off, most respectable banks will call the institution printed on the check and see if it is legit, or at least warn you about the risk. Senior citizens, the greedy and the gullible are most often the victim of this well known scam, and it's many variations.

Stephen, the idea is that the scammer gets you to send money via Western Union, and then doesn't send you the goods. You'll end up with little recourse, because of the minimal to nonexistant tracking done for funds picked up via Western Union (and other such services). With a check, there's at least a bit of a paper trail.

Tim, I fully understand the problem with cashiers checks and money orders that have to be

taken to a bank, but if the buyer goes through Western Union and sends the Western Union

control number to the seller, and the seller goes to a Western Union office with that control

number and walks out of the Western Union office with cash, I can't see how that kind of

Western Union transaction can be faked.