just recently asked a local camera shop here in singapore about prices of 5D,

the attendant told me that prices of 5D would rise again because canon just

stop its production.

before chinese new year, body only sells for S$3,100 then became S$3,200 and

the kit is S$4,650.

currently im using 40D & 17-55/2.8IS and its so easy to sell this combo for

S$3100, to get new 5D.

but, is it worth to buy 5D at this time when we all know 5D2(?) is just around

the corner waiting to explode any time soon?

You might ask yourself whether you would expect a shop assisstant to be privy to Canon's production plans, or whether he might be more interested in telling you anything he thinks you might believe to promote a quick sale.

In Europe at the moment prices are drifting up slightly ahead of the cashback that will run from 1 March to 30 June - so that tells you the 5D will remain a current camera at least until then, and that prices can be expected to be lower effectively with the rebate quite soon:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00ORAZ

Jeeze Marco you been busy, why not settle down? Of course, I'm sure your pics are marvelously better going from a 400d to 5d and now to 40d. What was wrong with the second hand 5d, I didn't have time to search through all your posts?<div>00OVrm-41862584.jpg.3145e2479b0c3b346c6879346f237da6.jpg</div>

may be all of you are wondering why i bought a 2ndhand 5D then trade with 40D&17-55/2.8 then selling it again to buy 5D huh?!...

ok ok, let me explain... when i got my 2ndhand 5D for S$2880, i was settled down. the condition of 5D was (around 20months old, 6k+ shutter count, replaced shutter assembly and some user marks)

but after a few days, i saw a post from clubsnap.com(singaporean photography forum) that a shop was selling brand new 5D for S$3100, so i confirmed it and its true. to my shock, should have bought that 5D instead of the 2ndhand i just got.

so the first step i did was to post that i want to trade my 5D in exchange for 40D & 17-55/2.8 and wow!, got so many response on the thread.

because i know that this combo can sell for S$3100 and i'll use that fund to buy brandnew 5D. so its like, trading my 2ndhand 5D with a brandnew 5D with no extra cost, isn't that great?!

so now i ended up with my 40D & 17-55/2.8. but still, my hands is itching on 5D. thats why i asked this question again regarding 5D.

hope you understand...

Probably you should recall why you bought that 2nd hand 5D in the first place. Since you have the hand on expirence on those 3 models, by now you should know which are better for your taste. You won't be able to get a new 5DMkII with this price when ever it come later, so the new 5D is the only way to go, or else if you are satisfy with this 40D and 17-55, why not just stick to it and enjoy the shooting?

Personally I think we've waited Sooo long for a 5DII that it must have been superceeded already and will be old hat by the time it is released. That's why I've put my GX100 and G9 in to cryonic storage so that I can sell them upon release of the 5DIII.

Right now the prosumer 40D is WELL worth buying (USA $ 1200).

The prosumer 5D would be "worth it" brand new for $1500, not a penny more. The toy 400D or 450D? No comment. The 5D is nearly three years old and that's ancient for a new computer.

I have no comment on the very expensive 1D and 1Ds. Except that a pro requires one, thus it is something like a tool, and depreciable for your business else your cmopany buys you 1 1D.

My own marginal 2 cents.

Canon makes around 70 lenses currently. They make over 60 full frame lenses from 14mm-1200mm. They make less than 10 crop lenses. The 5D takes full advantage of the 60 plus full frame lenses the way they were designed to be used. The 5D is a timeless classic that is currently a steal. Sure, it lacks live view, and other features, but it will take 100,000 full frame pics.. enough said..

B&H price for the 5D is currently $2,099.

While I'm personally not a fan of the 5D and owned one for a couple of years (hated the

feel and sound of it), I'll be the first to admit that it made very good images ... so $2,099.

ain't bad for a full-frame camera this "image capable."

The salivating anticipation of the 5D replacement may, or may not, be justified. Other than

a larger LCD and some other marginally useful bells and whistles, the 1D and 1Ds

replacements are of questionable value when it come to actual image making ... which also

may well be the case with the 5D-MKII. Remains to be seen. What can be counted on with

some certainty is that the replacement 5D-MKII won't be $2,099.

The 5D is a thinking photographers' type of camera. So many people want auto everything. Society in general is like this I suppose. Everyone is afraid to think or doesn't have the time anymore. The 5D makes me feel like a photographer trying to understand the environment I'm in. I have to analyze the lighting and figure out a good shutter speed or dof. And with the viewfinder being nice and big, I feel connected to the subject. It makes me appreciate photography. The Leica M8 has the same type of appeal. I understand those Leica shooters so much better now. Auto everything has a tendency to capture 'great images of fuzzy ideas' because thinking is not apart of the equation any longer.