Cleaning multicoated filters and lenses

Back when I shot 35mm and used uncoated filters, I used lens cleaning fluid on

my lenses and filters. I did the same when shooting 16mm motion film.

Recently though I've gotten first a hoya dual coat and then a replacement

B+W SMC UV filter and a B+W SMC polorizing/UV filter.

So my question is: Do you ever use lens cleaning fluid on filters? I have found

that it smears and that water works better.

What have your experiences been?

Thanks,

Timothy

The better the multicoating, the worse the smears.

I moisten optical tissue with lens cleaning fluid, or use Zeiss or other good quality pre-moistened tissues (depends on how gunky the filter is).

That gets the gunk but leaves smears.

I follow up with water vapor and a clean, dry microfiber cloth. If I'm at home I'll boil some water and hold the filter or front of the lens around 12" above the water. If away from home I'll just breathe on the glass. Wipe carefully with the microfiber cloth. Works every time.

I try not to obsess over cleaning and keep it to a minimum. But a couple of times a year the tree sap will literally spit tiny droplets of sticky goo everywhere so occasional cleaning is inevitable.

I actually stopped buying Hoya's multicoated filters because they were such a pain to clean. Many people on this site recommended the LensPen, and it is the only method I've found to clean without smearing. I would read up on the many LensPen threads on PN and give one a try.

I like the LensPen but don't use 'em directly on the lens or filter. Too easy for the LensPen to pick up debris and, unlike microfiber cloths, can't be cleaned as easily.

I place a sheet of lens tissue over the LensPen. Works better than using tissue alone - gets into the edges more evenly.

Hi Tim. The less cleaning the better, but sometimes you just have to do it. I have several Hoya multi-coated filters and this is what I do.<br><br>

First, I use a can of compressed air to blow off all the grit. Next, I gently use a paper lens tissue and any standard lens fluid (like Kodak) to remove most of the grime. Third, I give it a very light spritz with ROR (Residual Oil Remover) and gently wipe in a circular motion with a good quality microfiber cloth. This is the crucial element. Lens papers just do not do a satisfactory job for the final cleaning, but the microfiber and the ROR really do a nice job. It may be necessary to lightly br3eath on the filter and use a dry area of the microfiber cloth for a final polish. I do this for my lenses as well. Regards.

I no longer use Hoya filters either. Both my current filters are B+W. I got my polorizer because the Hoya I had purchased refused to clean no matter what I did. I took it into the shop, and it turned out there was crud between the coating layers. I now use B+W exclusively for still photography.

Very interesting that the coating makes smears more visible.

Thanks for the advice guys, and I'll steer clear of Hoya.