ALERT: Copyrights are being violated

paulstenquist

Got me too. I would have been mighty amused if they has stolen any of the pictures of my law school building!

Reported it to Google. Considering dealing with GoDaddy's reporting scheme, but they don't define "electronic signature" on the reporting page.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eric,

I don't mind people using my images to create web graphics. I work in advertising, and the designers who I depend on for support do the same. It's part of the web pool of information. Post on the web, and you're part of the pool. But posting on the web hasn't had a negative effect on the marketability of my photography. Quite the opposite. It's lead to many more opportunities and assignments. If you see something you like on my pages, and the lo-res image will work for you, be my guest. And don't forget to gie me a call when you have a need for imagery you can't fill that way. It's the way of the world these days. And it works for all of us.

Paul

"So, 36 of my images are on that site, all taken from Photo.net. Not one of the photos on flickr are showing up, better security?"

"No. I can take all of your pics off flickr if I want them. But it will take longer, because it's a slow site. Paul"

That's not what Dave asked. Anything on a monitor can be taken. Is it easier at PN than flickr? Yes.

Gordon,

Had to go to your pages and take a look. You have some excellent photos posted. I will alert my art directors, who will undoubtedly steal some of them for comps:-) Seriously, your work is very nice.

By the way, Flickr is a favorite source of the art directors I work with. They take more from that site than they do from photo.net. I'm always telling them that they're missing out on a good thing. I think the work here is generally better.

paul

"By the way, Flickr is a favorite source of the art directors I work with. They take more from that site than they do from photo.net. I'm always telling them that they're missing out on a good thing. I think the work here is generally better. paul"

i agree, the work here is better. but they use flickr because of more content and better usability via search with tags like stock photo sites. want a dog photo? type in 'dog' in the tag search. want a 'white dog' type that in. Graphic designers can't do that here.

That'a a good thing, Josh. Finding what you want is a plus. Yes, it might lead to more extensive use of photo.net for comp searches. That can lead to sales. Art directors frequently try to buy high res versions of the low res pics they rip off for comps. And the rewards are sometimes substantial. A site that works better is a plus for everyone. It might even be a good idea to promote comp use. Something along the lines of this:

Please feel free to use images on this site for non-published comp work. But we would also hope that you would consider purcasing the high-res versions of the images you use to sell the work.

Paul

Antonio Bassi says:..."Until this matter won't be clarified I will keep all my images

obscured and I posted this pic on my portfolio. If we won't find a solution quick, I will

cancel my membership, make all my friends do the same and they will do the same with

their friends and bye bye photo.net."

***** My Reply:

Bwaaaaaahahahahahahahahahaaaahah

Folks, you just gotta love Pnetters like Antonio....

: )

<i>"Do you guys think the visibility set to off will prevent them from stealing the images or can they accesss the database?"</I>

<p>

It may make it slightly harder. But you are also making it significantly harder for normal people to see your images. Which essentially defeats the purpose of having images online.

<p>

Keep in mind that clicking "hide this folder from my portfolio view" does not hide your images from ever being seen. It just hides them from your main portfolio view. The can still be reached via google searches and other links from the site.

<p>

As has been said multiple times on this thread, the only way to be sure that your images won't be swiped from one website and used on another is to not put images online at all.