ALERT: Copyrights are being violated

paulstenquist

hanna - it looks like a norse or swedish type of language to me

Josh - this gives me an idea of a great service that pnet could provide: a directory of

infringing sites. it could be a system where say you know that pic.playcomet.com is

infringing, and then us photographers could each put in the URLs where our copyrights are

being infringed, then the database could be made readily accessible by google, godaddy, etc,

so that they can be mindful of who's naughty. feel free to email me outside the thread if you

want an expanded idea of what i'm talking about.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is interesting is to read on this thread that folks find this behavior as being anything new or shocking. The general public views the web as a free library. You post your images and expect magically they are not going to be harvested; used; printed; ie stolen. Its like leaving 100 dollar bills on park benches overnight and expecting every bum to be a goodie two shoes. The public lifts these cool images and brings them to print shops mixed in with their own custom brochures and work; and us print shops have now way of knowing what is legal. In a way web stuff is just given away; like releasing a bunch of birds, bugs and ants and expecting them to stay in the same local area. Whats legal and whats practical in enforcing are two different things. You have no way of knowing if your image is being used 1/2 way around the globe in a report; local advertising; weekly reader ;) calendar; greeting card.

At least my name is on them. This happens so many times that I have for the most part

stopped worrying about it.

When I find people selling my images that is another story. One guy was selling my

photos, as fine art prints, with HIS name on them as the artist. I immediately went after

him and he eventually apologized along with was banned from the website (Art.com).

Other Real estate companies, Ebay sellers, etc have used our images without authorization

for advertising, and we have collected thousands of dollars from them as a result.

Many teenagers will download my photos and post them on sites like Myspace, Xanga etc.

I no longer worry about them. It's a J-peg, they are usually just having fun with their

pages.

In my opinion, it's just not worth the bother 98 percent of the time. What Walter Tatulinski

did by posting a comment on these images, directing people to his own website sounds

like a smart idea.

Some battles are worth fighting for, others not quite.

I put this one in the latter.

Twenty-one of my photos have been posted by the BitComet/PlayComet site. For what it's worth--which probably isn't much--I've pasted the following notice on each image's "comment" link: "This copyrighted image has been stolen by the operators of this website, based in China. Unlicensed use of this photo is a copyright violation. Persons wishing to license this image can contact the photographer, Bill Wingell, at bwingell@gmail.com." I'll follow-up with emails to all the identified parties involved, including advertiser Google, but getting a satisfactory response, I'm sure, is unlikely.

I think it's probably worth noting that on the positive side regarding my participation in photo.net, just in the last month I've licensed three of my p.net images to the publishers of two forthcoming books--one shot to be used as a cover photo on a book about native American political action and another to help illustrate a high school civics textbook with a print run of 750,000. There are honest users of our material out there. Cheers...Bill

I'm with Vincent et al on this one - some battles are not worth fighting. I've seen some older PN images on another website for qite some time (not the one Hanna cited) but can't find it again. In that case whole portfolios have been copied.

I like Walter's idea though - nice one, Walter!

I'm only at a count of 13 on this latest site.

Thank you guys for pointing that out! I did what Bob Atkins and Kier Selinsky suggested. The chinese have stolen 11 of mine... I hope this will be solved. Thankfully, my name is on them.<p>

I'd have a suggestion on how could PN protect our images against these thefts. The photos posted could be dispayed as flash embedded images. So there should be no .jpegs and other files to steal. The only way you can steal a flash embedded image is to take a print screen of the page and then crop the photo in some photo editor. It's complicated and a bot couldn't do that.<p>

The question remains how hard it is to implement this system. Well, there are to impediments: technical and financial. Technical: a script that would automatically embed the uploaded photos in a .swf file. However, the site's pages would not get bulkier and slower to upload as the .swf files that are not animated don't weight much. Financial: flash programmer/programmers. However, I think Josh is more in measure to evaluate this possibility.

I would rather put up with some thievery than go to a flash embedded system. Consider how often we help each other by demonstrating a PhotoShop technique on a right-clicked image of another? Or sometimes it's good just to take a look at the processing "what ifs" of someone elses work on your own desktop. Flash would destroy some of the communal benefits of this site.

I was annoyed by this site in China because they blatantly ripped off many PN shots, and the environment is somewhat sleazy. Sometimes, howeverm, I'm pleased when someone uses one of my pics. A little newsletter in Budapest took one of my coffee shop portraits and used it to illustrate an article. They didn't tell me, but they credited it, so it came up on google. Good for them. That's okay by me.

Speaking of google, I stumbled across Playcomet while googling my name to see how high on the google page my own commercial site appeared. I almost didn't report it. I'm annoyed by it, but certainly not devastated. I'm a bit surprised to see how much angst it has caused.

Paul

Well it appears I'm another "victim" of theft too! So it sounds like the only recourse is to NOT post anywhere on the web including PN, that's sad 'cause I really enjoy my time here and have learned a lot, but with an impending Gallery Show and the possible sale of my work I just DO NOT want my imagery floating around the internet.