ALERT: Copyrights are being violated

paulstenquist

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand being curious ... but I have to add that if the site were up, it would probably NOT HELP our cause to keep clicking through to it. The more hits that site gets, specifically the more hits one of our tagged photos/groups of photos gets, will likely only serve to prove that they're not some rogue upstart of a wannabe company. (Right?)

The site is down because photo.net members served them notice of violation of copyright. GoDaddy took the site down. I know it is a long thread but all the info is there.

As for the website, it has about 38,000 page views a month so they probably were making some money from our photos.

I don't think were out of the woods yet. As of 7:45 PM MST the site is still up. I have been able to find 25 of my images so far at this link:

http://pic1.playcomet.com/search.aspx?q=kent%20b

Some of these images have been sold and published by legitimate patrons.

I would like to thank everyone for all the focused attention to this matter.

Kent b

It's not STILL up. It's up again. It was down for a day or more. Apparently, they found a new server or GoDaddy decided there wasn't reason enough to take it down. If people care enought, they'll have to get after them again. Some of my pics are back up, but I'm not terribly worried about it.

I recently read an article in Popular Photography, February 2008 issue titled Grand Theft Photo. It goes into detail about protecting your photos. The main point is if the photos aren't copyrighted then you really have no recourse. It's not too difficult to do if you already have your workflow organized. go to http://www.copyright.gov/register/visual.html to see how it's done.

You can actual copyright thousands of photos pretty easy.

The article written by Neal Matthews points out that not only should professionals copyright their work, but amatures as well. Obviously you never know who is going to steal from you. Check out the article. It is worth a few minutes. Here's the link.

http://www.popphoto.com/popularphotographyfeatures/5001/grand-theft-photo.html

As I suspected they would do, they've shifted the server to china. A tracert on pic1.playcomet.com ends up at IP 222.73.227.218.

Records don't indicate exactly who that is:

Details:

ns.sta.net.cn. (an authoritative nameserver for 73.222.in-addr.arpa., which is in charge of the reverse DNS for 222.73.227.218)

says that there are no PTR records for 222.73.227.218.

To get reverse DNS set up for 222.73.227.218, you need to speak to your Internet provider. You could also

check with root@ns.sta.net.cn., who is in charge of the 73.222.in-addr.arpa. zone.

At this point complaints to Google might be the most effective solution, though that won't shut the site down, it will just stop their Adsense advertsising (assuming Google ever do anything speed to complaints though.

BTW pic.playcomet.com is now back on line too. The final IP in the tracert ends up at 72.167.47.6, which corresponds again to secureserver.net. As indicated above (somewhere) , that tracks to Wild West Domains, which looks like it's GoDaddy.com again.

If I was playcomet.com, I'd just shift the DNS severs for the pic.playcomet.com domain to the Chinese servers. That way I'd keep all the search engine rankings I had. Maybe that's what they are doing and the pic.playcomet.com site may just be up while they do that. Who knows.

jOSH...THANKS, ONCE MORE, FOR ALL THE TIME YOU'VE PUT IN ON THIS TOPIC. WHEN DO YOU SLEEP--OR EAT, FOR THAT MATTER?!?

HAVE YOU HEARD FROM THE LAWYER YET? DID SHE HAVE ANYTHING TO ADD TO WHAT WE'VE ALREADY DONE AND THINK WE CAN DO? which, now that they're in China, looks like we won't be able to much of anything. Still curious as to her input, tho.

Bob, I'd like to thank you, too, for all the work you've DONE since this happened. I don't know how you do all that finite research, but I'm impressed, and I for, one appreciate your doing all of it for us.

I'm calling it a night, folks....sleep well, my friends

Interesting. pic.playcomet.com is back up and ip is 72.167.47.67 which is GoDaddy again. GoDaddy is not allowed to put back up the website till a counterclaim is made and then only 10 days after the counterclaim. I will follow up with them tomorrow when i have time out of interest.

pic1.playcomet.com as Bob pointed out is hosted in china but is very slow. pic1 is not indexed by the major search engines which is why they want pic.playcomet.com back.

For pic1 i get

% [whois.apnic.net node-1]

% Whois data copyright terms http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html

inetnum: 222.64.0.0 - 222.73.255.255

netname: CHINANET-SH

descr: CHINANET shanghai province network

descr: China Telecom

descr: No1,jin-rong Street

descr: Beijing 100032

admin-c: CH93-AP

tech-c: XI5-AP

changed: **********@apnic.net 20031024

mnt-by: APNIC-HM

mnt-lower: MAINT-CHINANET-SH

mnt-routes: MAINT-CHINANET-SH

remarks: This object can only modify by APNIC hostmaster

remarks: If you wish to modify this object details please

remarks: send email to **********@apnic.net with your

remarks: organisation account name in the subject line.

source: APNIC

person: Chinanet Hostmaster

nic-hdl: CH93-AP

e-mail: *********@ns.chinanet.cn.net

address: No.31 ,jingrong street,beijing

address: 100032

phone: +86-10-58501724

fax-no: +86-10-58501724

changed: ******@cndata.com 20070416

mnt-by: MAINT-CHINANET

person: Wu Xiao Li

address: Room 805,61 North Si Chuan Road,Shanghai,200085,PRC

phone: +86-21-63630562

fax-no: +86-21-63630566

e-mail: ********@mail.online.sh.cn

nic-hdl: XI5-AP

mnt-by: MAINT-CHINANET-SH

changed: ********@mail.online.sh.cn 20010510

If they move everything to the chinese server, good for them because its very slow. Keeping them off US servers and canceling their adsense account would keep me happy. then they are not making money off our photos.

Oh i forgot one other reason godaddy might have reactivated their account, from GoDaddy:

If the site owner indicates they are ready to remove the infringing content, we will re-activate the hosting account in order to allow that to happen.

We will see

Hi <b>Birte</b>, it's just a hypothetical, but what if you had just sold the exclusive rights of one of those ripped images to someone? You can delete it from PhotoNet but not from playcomet. And they are really not giving proper credits, not the way I see it. A proper credit would have precise contact information so that anyone interested in <i>legitimately</i> acquiring the image would know exactly where to go.<br><br>

Has anyone tried to download any particular image group from playcomet? When I try using Mozilla I get an error. Using IE I get a message that tells me I need to install an Active-X plug-in. I'm curious what size/quality the downloaded image file would be. Regards.

"Has anyone tried to download any particular image group from playcomet? "

Downloading an image group requires the installation of Bitcomet. I'm assuming that is some kind of peer to peer software similar to Bit Torrent. I'm not going to install it to find out in any event. I assume it is the sameI can right click on any of my individual images and save them using Firefox. The images are the same size as they were when I uploaded them on Photonet.