Best vintage SLR?

I think what you're after is the faded look of old snapshots-mostly taken with the brownies, the instamatics, etc., of bygone years. When new they were pretty bright & vibrant, though. You can probably get that look with your digicam & Photoshop.

Or you can get your prints from the drugstore & expose them to sunlight for a few weeks; that might work.

Hi Tony,my apologies I only read Tom's first post. Seems to me looking at his second post Leica will not do, however I will join Bill poor processing is the key, available again some labs have set the clock back.Goes for digital too.

Cheers Manfred

The "washed out" look you are referring to was accomplished by filters and printing processes, and possibly by long-ago discontinued film emulsions, not by a camera body. You can accomplish that look using the Saturation and Contrast adjustments in Photoshop but unless you own some kind of chemical color printing machines you will only get disappointingly contrasty photos with vivid colors, no matter what you shoot with, even the junkier cameras from the 30's produce amazing results with modern films.

For Roger With The Petri Question - You'd best make this a separate post in its own right, mate. Tom's post question is purely about how to achieve a certain effect.

FWIW, my understanding of Petri SLRs is that the lenses are quite good, but the cameras' mechanicals are poor. They went the same way as Miranda did in the late 70s, down the gurgler. I once took a defective Petri SLR (FT I think) into our local Repair Guru, and he showed me just why it wasn't winding/shutter cocking consistently. Its wind gears under the baseplate were made of relatively soft brass, and they had stripped in a couple of places due to wear.

You don't have to be a mechanical engineering graduate to realise that brass has its advantages. It's cheap to machine, it's self-lubricating and it doesn't need any special treatment like hard-chroming or whatever to keep corrosion away. Unfortunately, in a relatively hi-load situation like wind gears, it's not going to last long before this or that tooth starts to wear away.

You might get lucky with yours in that it may not have had much use, so those soft gears may still have lots of life left. Then again .... (Pete In Perth)

The old Elmar 5cm/3.5 will give you a nice vintage look to your photos. Such a lens can be bought for $100-$150, which you can always sell in the future for the same price.

Another option of rangefinder cameras would be the old Leica screwmount cameras, such as the Leica IIIc. Often, you will find the IIIc with the Elmar offered for about $250.

Here's the answer:

Put Mr. Peabody in the way-back machine, set the dials and gizmos to about 1970 (give or take a few), and when you land find a store that carries the Zenit 35mm SLR or any crappy TLR. Get yourself some of that "wondermulsion" 5247 film, load 'er up and pay no attention to exposure settings. When finished, hop in the Pinto (or Vega or even a Gremlin) and head for the local Fotomat located in a supermarket parking lot. This part is key, since the film will need to sit on the counter in the Fotomat booth for a couple of days to "ripen".

When you return several days later to get your prints (and they're not there), the kind employee when put them in a bag which will be picked up Wednesdays and Saturdays to go to the lab to be processed in expired chemistry.

You should get some suitably crappy photos in a week or two...or three.

And don't forget to reset the way-back machine to sometime in 2008.

TH

• 2 weeks later...