New T-MAX 400 Availability

User_502260

I was at B&H Photo in New York earlier today. They have the new T-MAX 400 in

120 size now and expect to have it in 35mm size in about a month. While I was

there I got 5 rolls of the 120 film and a quart size Diafine kit. They no

longer stock the gallon size. It's a special order item.

I just received a couple five packs of TMY 400 from B&H. Is the new TMY marked or labeled any differently. I don't mind if I have the regular stuff as Iam used to it. Perhaps I can tell from the batch or exp numbers?

3371 001

exp. 03/2010.

Anyway, I agree with above comment, TMY does very well in good ol' D-76, and I use it 1:1. I'm trying out some Neopan 400 and so far I am not happy, even exposed for ISO 200(grain is not pleasing). I'll stick with TMY and HP-5.

The new T-MAX 400 in 120 size is marked NEW in large letters on the foil. If your film doesn't have those letters it isn't the new stuff. I wasn't planning to use the Diafine for the T-MAX 400 film. I got it because they won't ship the stuff (to far-away New Jersey). I shot two rolls of Tri-X (35mm) at 1250 at a play rehearsal. Before I use the Diafine I will experiment with a test roll. The play lighting was pretty contrasty so I think the Diafine might work well. I could also use UFG, Acufine, Microphen or a number of other developers I have on hand.

"I'm trying out some Neopan 400 and so far I am not happy, even exposed for ISO 200(grain is not pleasing). I'll stick with TMY and HP-5."

How long do you develop it? I bathe Neopan 400, rated at 200 - 250, for 8 Minutes in D 76 1+1 and am very happy with the results. I get finer grain than HP5+, but can't compare it to TMY, as I was just starting to test this film. How do you rate TMY (the old)? My main reason to test it was the idea to get some more speed. I understood that TMY is has "real" 400.

I exposed the Neopan 400 at 200 and souped in D76 1:1 for 8-1/4 min at 68. while I got easily printable results,I thought it looked cloudy and not as appealing graing as HP5,and doesn't compare with TMY which is a different animal.

I've been rating my TMY at 400 and adjusting with temp and or time for contrast. A friend who shoots 8x10 rates it at 200.

For me I find the film resonably forgiving and a nice compromise between speed and grain.

• 2 weeks later...