Least expensive Canon body for harsh environment?

<p>Hi,<br>

I have the EOS 1d Mark III and the 580EX II flash. I would like a spare body in the future but don't want to shell out another $4K. I would like one that can handle all types of bad environments. It would also be nice if controls were similar to the Mark III. What are my options? Thanks!</p>

<p>In my opinion, try looking out used MarkII-bodies. They are as good as your primary body (without the focus problems, they might even be better), and those are dirt cheap now.</p>

<p>Also, I might be looking for used 5D-bodies. It might be interesting to have a cropped frame, as your MarkIII and then a spare full frame. In my opinion, the used 5D would make the most interesting combo.</p>

<p>Obviously the lower end models: the rebels, are quite minimalist when it comes to weather sealing, not to mention their bodies are made of plastic. The XXD series, especially the 40D and 50D are definitely a step up. They feature magnesium alloy bodies, weather sealing around compartment doors, and somewhat more similar controls to the 1D series. I don't think the XXDs can handle harsh environments lik the top pro bodies, but they're still significantly better than the rebels.</p>

<p>"The 5D is known for it's poor sealing and has been described in reviews as a "dust magnet"."</p>

<p>Actually, the 5D is known for being an awesome camera, an amazing value, and a robust performer even when compared to camera's costing nearly four times the price. Search PN for 5D problems and you'll find that they are the same problems people have with every other DSLR. My 5D has been exposed to rain, snow, Arizona dust storms, high winds, fog, freezing fog, sub-zero temperatures, 128º f in Death Valley, hikes to over 13,000 feet while swinging on my neck, bounced 15 feet down a granite trail... still works just like it did the day I bought it. Don't base your backup body decision on rumors, ask the thousands of 5D owners here on PN what their experiences are.</p>

<p>I should be clear, if were shooting nothing but dust storms and monsoons then I would probably go with the 1D series. By Canon's own admission, the 5D is not as well sealed as the 1D series or even the 40 and 50D. So there are practical limitations to what it will tolerate. My point was that, in my experience, the 5D is no more fragile than any other DSLR under normal and sometimes extraordinary use. It does not attract dust or moisture any more than a 1Ds Mk III or a D3x and provided a little care is taken, the 5D will forgive you the occasional misstep.</p>

<p>You'll have to decide for yourself what constitutes a "harsh environment" and choose a body that will not be a liability.</p>

<p>I own the 5D and 40D and I love my cameras, BUT I would not consider either of them as made for harsh environments. If you need weather sealing, there is just no alternative to a 1D camera - don't fool yourself into thinking that you could get away with a less costly alternative. In the end it will cost you more.</p>

<p>Anyone that uses a 5D in wet and dusty places and has no problems are just plain lucky.</p>

<p>I would not tempt fate.</p>

<p>The cheapest new Canon DSLR that provides the sealing requried for in-rain and in-dust applications is the 5D Mark II, but only if (1) the lens attached is one of the sealed L lenses, and (2) the lens has a filter mounted on it.</p>

<p>You will always be able to find stories of taking a 5D to very wet, hot, dusty, cold places, but those stories are anecdotal at best, and show instances of exception and not instances of the rule.</p>