Canon ES=E1 EOS1V software link ... a rant

squareframe

<p>Hello all, I have successfully installed the original ES-E1 software and the driver for the canon ES-E1 cable on a windows 7 computer using the free "virtual PC" software from microsoft. I will post the procedure here as I remember it but if you have a question please respond to this thread and let me know. I always wanted to use the ES-E1 software to help me improve my film photography skills by reviewing shooting parameters and the images developed from the film. I initially had it on an XP laptop but that laptop died and I was not able to install it on a windows 7 computer until now. I want everyone who likes the eos 1V like I do, to be able to do the same. <br>

I did this on a windows 7 professional edition, 64 bit operating system but no problem if you have 32 bits or the home edition.<br>

1) Go to the Windows Virtual PC page:<br>

<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3702">http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3702</a><br>

2) Follow the windows instruction to install virtual PC. (click CONTINUE twice, let them download and run the small utility to check what machine and OS version you have then enter the code and click validate. Then click download. You can choose between two files. One has x86 and the other x64. I think I chose x64 because my Windows 7 OS is 64 bits. Run the file to install Virtual PC.<br>

3) Next you need to install another free window program: "Window XP mode"<br>

<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8002">http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8002</a><br>

Follow the same windows instructions to install XP mode. You will be able to choose between two files. One ends with mode_en and the 2nd one mode_N_en. Pick the first one. and install.<br>

4) Ok, next. in your Windows 7 START menu find the Virtual PC folder and run the XP Mode software. A window will open. On top you can see the option "create virtual PC". Click on it and leave the default options. I think you are required to choose your password. When done a blue window running Windows XP will open up. Leave it as it is so that you can see both your Windows 7 task bar on bottom and the Windows XP taskbar in the window.<br>

5) next you connect the ES-E1 cable to your 1v camera and put the camera into PC transmit mode and connect the USB side to your computer. (if your laptop is sitting on a HUB do not use USB connectors on the HUB but one on the laptop. Try to pick a black USB (2.0) not a blue one (3.0). Your computer should make a sound detecting new hardware has been connected. Virtual PC will automatically install a "STUB" (message appearing on windows 7 taskbar). <br>

6) Insert your ES-E1 CD in the drive but don't let it autorun (It did not try). In the Windows XP window go to the Control Panel and click on the icon "Add Hardware" to run the add wizard. Select next you should see that it found the Canon cable. Choose the reply "Not this time" to the question automatically connect online to find a driver. Then choose the option to manually browse to the path for the driver and go on D: to the folder ES-E1 then Ok. There will be some bogus message that it is not an officially recognize Windows driver, click "anyway install the driver"<br>

7) Now install the ES-E1 software by double clicking on D:\ES_E1\SETUP or you can double click on AUTORUN under D:\ Let it install and you are done.<br>

8) In the Window XP window on the top menu under "USB" you should see a line for Canon and "Attach" at the end. You have to click this anytime you connect the cable. I had some trouble first because I had not clicked on this.</p>

<p>Troubleshooting: First time my installation went fine but no data was transfered from the camera, it could not find the camera. I had forgot to do step 8. Also I don't remember exactly if I had to click on attach (8) before doing the driver install or just at the end. If you don't succeed first. Go to XP control Panel "Add or Remove software" and uninstall the Canon link. Then try to re-install the cable driver only after clicking on Attach (8). <br>

Enjoy your 1v :D !</p>

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...

<p>I saw on another thread that you can 'fool' the PC into thinking that the original software is already installed:<br>

<strong></strong><br>

<strong><em>Bern (sorry I misread your name) if you have the 1.3 updater then you could try installing by first setting up the registry keys to pretend that 1.1 is already present. The relevant bit of the registry looks like this</em></strong><br>

<strong><em>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE</em></strong><br /><strong><em>__SOFTWARE</em></strong><br /><strong><em>____CANON</em></strong><br /><strong><em>______EOS LINK ES-E1</em></strong><br /><strong><em>________1.1.0</em></strong><br /><strong><em>________REMOTE</em></strong><br /><strong><em>__________PATH REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Canon\EOS LINK ES-E1</em></strong><br /><strong><em>__________CF</em></strong><br /><strong><em>____________PATH REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Canon\EOS LINK ES-E1\CFn Combination</em></strong><br /><strong><em>__________PF</em></strong><br /><strong><em>____________PATH REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Canon\EOS LINK ES-E1\PFn Combination</em></strong><br>

<strong><em>Note that you'll probably also need to create the folders that the keys point to. If that doesn't work and you don't get a CD with the cable, let me know.</em></strong><br>

<strong><em>The cable includes a little pod of electronics; AFAIK there is no workround for it, you've just got to have the real thing.</em></strong><br>

I think I'll give this a go. Must admit, this frustrates me about Canon. It seems you can get just about any legacy equipment for Nikon, whereas for Canon it seems a little more difficult.</p>

<p>Arggghhh! I was going so well. I installed the registry keys (at least I think I did this correctly) in my XP VM. Then I made sure that the required folders were also in Windows explorer. On connecting the cable, I did indeed see a 'new hardware device' dialogue and was able to install the Win2K drivers.</p>

<p>However, on trying to install the 1.3 version of the software, I am asked for the disk. So either (a) I did not set up the registry entries correctly (although I see a new 1.3.0 key added now!); or (b) I simply cannot get around needing the original disk - or at least a copy.</p>

<p>Can anyone help? This is agonisingly close!<br>

RoyM</p>

<blockquote>

<p>However, on trying to install the 1.3 version of the software, I am asked for the disk.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>As I recall, I was similarly prompted, though I had not previously created the EOS Link registry entries.</p>

<p>Seems to me that Canon should provide a workaround for this—it’s hardly going to cut into their EOS Link sales ... Unfortunately, as several posters to this thread have noted, the typical response from all too many companies is “Screw you, Mr. Customer.”</p>

<p>As a check, here is my registry additions when 'edited' with notepad:<br>

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CANON]<br /><br />[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CANON\EOS LINK ES-E1]<br /><br />[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CANON\EOS LINK ES-E1\1.1.0]<br /><br />[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CANON\EOS LINK ES-E1\1.1.0\REMOTE]<br />"PATH"="C:\\Program Files\\Canon\\EOS LINK ES-E1"<br /><br />[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CANON\EOS LINK ES-E1\1.1.0\REMOTE\CF]<br />"PATH"="C:\\Program Files\\Canon\\EOS LINK ES-E1\\CFn Combination"<br /><br />[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CANON\EOS LINK ES-E1\1.1.0\REMOTE\PF]<br />"PATH"="C:\\Program Files\\Canon\\EOS LINK ES-E1\\PFn Combination"<br /><br />[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CANON\EOS LINK ES-E1\1.3.0]<br /><br /><br>

Although I work with PCs this is not my area. Can anyone tell me if this looks ok?<br>

Best regards,<br>

RoyM</p>

<p>Roy, these values seem reasonable. They’re slightly different from mine because I already have Version 1.3 installed, but they follow the same pattern. I suspect that these entries aren’t the problem, however.</p>

<p>The README for Version 1.3 calls for uninstalling the existing version before proceeding with the installation, and then inserting the CD, cancelling the installation if Autoplay is enabled, and then running the 1.3 installer to complete the installation. It doesn’t call for removing the CD until the process is complete; I have no idea how often the installation process checks for the CD.</p>

<p>One way to find out what the installer is looking for is to install the Sysinternals suite (if you don’t already have it)<br>

<a href="https://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/sysinternals">https://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/sysinternals</a>:</p>

<p>and run Process Monitor during the installation; if you capture file, registry, and process events, you may be able to see what the installer is looking for. It may take a few tries to see how to set the filter so that you don’t need to visually scan thousands of events.</p>

<p>It may turn out that you simply need to have the CD, which is what the README suggests and what I recall.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>@Roy - additional information<br>

1) you need original sw to install update available from Canon.<br />2) I was able to get the original sw from Canon Support by calling Canon Customer Support in USA, going through their prompts to get to technical support for EOS Cameria, Since I have the Cable, box, manual but not able to locate the software disc, they burned a copy of the disk from their technical support copy and shipped it to my home. Canon Support were amazing, supportive, and quick to provide the software for free.<br /><br />Once I had the original sw CD in hand, I followed the instructions posted by EOSFILM here setting up a Virtual PC on Windows 7. And it worked, I have been able to download all the camera details from my EOS-1V. </p>

• 2 months later...