Canon ES=E1 EOS1V software link ... a rant

squareframe

I bought one of the first EOS1v's and the ES-E1 software. used it, didn't much

care for it ... forgot about it. I did, however, manage to create several

Personal Functions that can only be created using the ES-E1 software. fast

forward .. five years. still have the ES-E1 disk, but realize we aren't in the

Windows 98 world anymore. I have just purchased a new Toshiba laptop with Vista.

with a resurgence of interest in photography after a five-year hiatus, I find

the EOS1v, and desire to 'reset' everything to zero, custom & personal functions

back to factory defaults. I don't even try to load the v1.1 release of the

EOS-link, and find that Canon wrote and released a newer version for Window XP.

got it. installed it. it doesn't work. Vista has its own set of rules .. and

Canon, of course, didn't play by them and has apparently zero-interest in

supporting a new operating system.

woe is me ... the stupid consumer. so yes, I can find someone that has Windows

98, or ME, or XP installed, and see if I can install the EOS-link and reset the

parameters on my once 'state-of-the-art' camera. maybe even set a few parameters

as well .. if I am lucky.

I understand Canon's interests .. but then, it fell upon me what we are all up

against when we buy a camera that is subject to the whims (and fortunes) of a

company that has little interest in my wherewithal five years down the trail.

so, I have a crippled camera .. state-of-the-art, now limping along.

Canon .. spend a few days, and write a Vista driver for the ES-E1 link. or, buy

it back from us suckers!

daniel taylor

San Juan Archipelago, Wa.

Daniel, I'm in the same boat (one reason I'm still running XP ...). As

annoying as it may be, I can understand where Canon are coming from. I'd

guess the total annual sales of EOS-1v's are in the low hundreds at most,

so there isn't much incentive to write a new driver or even fix a few bugs

with the XP version. I have a printer and scanner, both newer than the

EOS-1v, without XP drivers, so it isn't just Canon. I think asking a

company to buy back software for a seven-year-old camera model is probably

a bit unrealistic, especially when they refuse to buy back EOS-1D Mk III's

that have focus (and other problems) that Canon sometimes cannot seem to

fix.

<p>

I'm less forgiving when it comes to dropping Depth-of-Field AE on recent

DSLRs (yet another reason to keep an EOS-1v, I suppose).

"...so there isn't much incentive to write a new driver or even fix a few bugs with the XP version."

The incentive is to show the customers that they will not be abandoned/forgotten and that Canon stands for its products - which works wonders for creating and maintaining a loyal customer base.

As for Microsoft - about the only thing they ever cared for was their bottom line - no less, no more. Cornering the market and then forcing everyone to "upgrade" by producing incompatible product seems to be the winning business strategy.

Canon is really slow to react to OS updates, if ever. You should try to use one of their film

scanners. All the Canon plugins are broke, forever it seems. I gave up and bought SliverFast...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I was being facetious regarding Canon buying-back my software link. then again, perhaps a disclaimer should be included with their camera body, saying - 'thank you for purchasing a Canon SLR body. the realities of our world are such, that we will forget about you and your camera in six years and you will no longer be able to use the features you have just paid a premium for.'

I think my rant holds up when you consider that (as far as I know) the EOS-1V is still available. how about an agreement that states they will support the product for five years after it has been discontinued. and yes, I can find an XP machine somewhere and do what I want to do. it is more a philosophical rant I suppose. more so than if I just plunked down $6k for a 1DsMkxx, only to be told that there will be no development of drivers for Vista.

thanks for the responses ... oh yeah, EOS-1V for sale. ES-E1 link software included!

daniel

"The incentive is to show the customers that they will not be abandoned/forgotten and that Canon stands for its products - which works wonders for creating and maintaining a loyal customer base."

Obviously not someone who lived through the FD-EF transition, a whole generation of customers were abandoned by Canon wholesale then, so a little software incompatibility is very small cheese.

First, in terms of what Canon might reasonably be expected to do, we need to keep the following in mind:

1. AFAIK the -1V is still a current model. Even if it were not, for a professional-level piece of equipment it is reasonable to expect support for a number of years, say, five, after it is no longer available new.

2. The ES-E1 kit is the only way to make use of two important capabilities of the -1V, namely shooting data download and PF activation. Availability and support should accordingly match that of the camera. Am I right in thinking that, regardless of what OS you can use it on, the ES-E1 kit is no longer available? If so, that in itself is a very poor deal for users, especially since the camera-computer interface is non-standard and requires the special cable forming part of the kit - it's not just a software issue for which there might be many workrounds.

3. As software goes, the ES-E1 kit is pretty lightweight. A driver for the cable as a USB device, a utility to manage PFs and a few other oddments, and a utility to download and present shooting data, and that's about it. The utilities should require only the most minor tweaking, if any, to work under Vista, given that they work under XPSP2, and writing a new Vista driver for what it clearly a very simple device is scarcely a three-pipe problem. I certainly think that Canon are failing to look after their customers by not providing such an update, given the minimal amount of work involved.

All round, pretty shabby, and if I were still using my -1V then I would be ranting too - except that, like most people who work with computers professionally, I would not have Vista to rant about because I would not go within a country mile of it for a whole host of other reasons. Once support for XPSP2 is no longer available, it's back to Unix in the form of a good Linux implementation with Windows emulation for where I need it.

I agree with Daniel and Robin that a better support for a professional camera body would be expected. By the way, the situation for Macs is not better. Canon has never released a version of the software for Mac OS X (introduced in 2000...), and using the software under the Classic environment under OS X does not work (at least on newer versions). So I use an old Windows version running in a virtual machine to connect to the 1V...

One reason, I never bought the software.

In these days of Digital with no reason to ever repeat such a set up, it is a little late for me to add to your rant but why not:

Canon, why on earth. We do not want computer dependant adjustments in our gear. Please please never again.

Rant over.

You know I now feel so much better :D

Group hug!

Bernard .. exactly! the only issue is the driver that allows the camera to converse with Vista. nothing particularly difficult about this, because much of the same must be written for *any* camera to use Vista. it is simple economics, and not that I blame Canon for its reticence. I say this, because the software was poorly written from the beginning. as suggested, open the source and publish it. enterprising folks can make of it what they may. remember, this was Canon's premier professional camera offering not all that long ago, which ramps up their commitment to support it.

just an observation more than a rant. thanks all for taking the time to respond and share your points of view.

daniel taylor

Daniel. I think the blame should be placed far more with Mr Gates wonderful company than with Canon. Canon are obviously going to devote their software development resources to making their new products Vista compatible, rather than their older ones.

Also, I can't understand why the uptake of Vista has been so rapid, given that 64 bit operation has few advantages for the average user.

No commercial organisation whose business relies on their IT resources, would dream of buying into a new OS until it had been tried and tested for several months. That's why many large companies are still using Windows 2000 or Unix. We should all stop being unpaid beta testers for MS and stick to an OS that's known to work, for which the driver technology is mature and which is compatible with existing hardware.

MS would soon stop trying to "push the envelope" and devote more time to ironing out existing "issues", if the uptake of their latest billion-dollar-development-cost-marvel was uneconomic.

Vista is working very well for me. all the Macromedia products are behaving, and the new version 6.0 of Mathematica works beautifully. the Adobe products however, like Photoshop CS2 .. didn't make the cut. Adobe said I should pay for the upgrades of CS2 and Macromedia programs ($499) to insure workability with Vista. I think I will wait for CS4 before upgrading. Photoshop works, but you have to ignore the bizarre serving of errors, warnings, dialog-boxes, updater messages, and help bugaboos.

and yes, some fashion of 'run with XP compatibility' would have been nice. I did see some form of that, but not with the EOS-Link drivers. I must say, that Vista is very nice visually and allows me to do what I want to do ... most of time. I suppose those are the keywords 'most of the time'. I suspect that too, will settle out eventually.

I am growing old I guess. once a Unix developer, I just want an OS that allows me to do what I need to do, and don't feel compelled these days to argue about operating-systems. I just tend to work-around known issues and carry on.

in concert with my refusal to count pixels, dwell over chemistry, and argue features that don't generally migrate into the actual photo-taking process. in fact, while I used to champion all these slick-featured, do-all cameras (read my posts from 1999), I found that in the real-world of photography ... they weren't practical features at all. getting that photo .. was more emotional, and I would gladly accept a less-than-optimal exposure, increased grain, or reduced-resolution .. as long as I captured the timing and emotional essence (lacking words here) of the moment. I feel even more strongly now, and have gone back to my Hasselblads. bare-bones, but much more reliant on me as a photographer, than the mechanisms behind the equipment.

daniel taylor - afloat off San Juan Island Wa.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Late response, but this is a google find.

I have the original ES-E1 software, and found this site to update it to 1.30 http://web.canon.jp/imaging/ELS/PC/ese1_pc01-e.html

and even that was in 2002, I can't find any later versions.

I have only used it once, it can be perceived as useful, but keeping your negatives together with the data can be a bother. This is where digital trounces this. However it's good a a learning tool, if you want to know which settings you used.

Howver, I don't seem to find any use for it these days, learning the hard way is better.

Anyone find more up to date software?

• 3 months later...

Just came across this thread because I've bought a new computer running Vista x64. I've got the ES-E1 working under Vista x86 (the normal 32 bit version) on my laptop. Unless I missed it (I just skimmed the posts), it doesn't look like ya'll got it resolved. Here's the procedure I have for running EOS Memory and EOS Remote.

Download the latest version for the Canon website. To install it, you need to have your original CD in the drive. Insert the USB cable and when it asks for the driver, install the one under ES_E13_E\CABLE_ES\Cable_2K. I'm guessing most of ya'll got this far and tried to launch EOS Remote. It won't work unless you launch it in Windows 2000 Compatibility mode. That's the trick to getting it to work (in the 32 bit version anyways). You can always set it to run under Windows 2000 compatibility by right clicking on the icon and selecting properties. Under compatibility, select Run in Compatibility mode for and select Windows 2000. Actually I just checked ad Windows XP (Service Pack 2) is what I have selected, so it should work with that as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...