Fashion/Commercial Photography

sara_gee

I'm looking into fashion and commercial photography. I've got to shoot 2 people

in about 3 weeks. I've been looking at different lenses for a couple of weeks

now and I cannot seem to decide on which one to get. I would love to get the

70-200 f/2.8, but it's over my price range, and I'm sure I don't need to have

that range. I'm looking for good portrait, head, and body shots. A lot of the

lenses I've been looking at seem to be a bit soft.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I?d go 50 1.4 and 80 1.8 for a couple of good lenses. I shoot a ton with a 24-70 doing all kinds of lifestyle, fashion and editorial work. I find that sometimes being able to shoot at 35mm is really helpful to create environmental portraits. Anyhow, with 3 non L lenses you?re still cheaper than the 70-200.

>>> fashion and commercial photography. I've got to shoot 2 people (edit) I'm looking for good portrait, head, and body shots. <<<

Yeah but. . . what location; what camera; two people together or separately or both; what`s the essence of then art director`s brief; for what publication; who is the end consumer?

. . . and what is your budget and present lens selection?

Without all that information, and assuming APS-C format and a tight budget, having the following canon primes available should be sufficient in all situations:

35mmF2; 50mmF.8MkII; 85mmF1.8 and 100mmF2.

WW

depends on what kind of camera are you using. You need a Canon 5D(12megapixels) or at least a 10 meg camera. Also depending on waht lens you're using, you might want to shoot 2 stops up from what is the widest aperture. eg 17-40mm/4L, should be shooting at F8.

There are many factors involve. If you use a medium format digital back, you coudl probably shoot at F2.8 and your image would be really sharp.

Check out dpreview.com and check the lenses out there on camera bodies. They'll provide some info before you make your next purchase.

>>You need a Canon 5D(12megapixels) or at least a 10 meg camera. <<

<p>Erm... no you don't :) You can shoot juuust fine with just about any dSLR, or, dare I say it, FILM SLR! ;)

<p>Sara, your info is still sketchy. I have the 17-40L and find it pin sharp with both my film and digital SLRs. Yours might be faulty, or your post-processing might need some tweakiong. But I digress. I shoot portraits with my 17-40L, 24-105L and 50 f/1.8; I'd recommend any of this glass any day for portraits. It's HOW you use the tool that matters. Of course the wider aperture glass gives you more room to play with low-light (no-flash?) situations and throw the background out of focus for smoother bokeh. You can still achieve this with a slower telephoto if you increase the subject-to-background distance.

<p>Since you said you're looking into fashion and commercial photog., it might be wiser to rent one of the good lenses already mentioned for your shoot if you can. That way, you can more quickly figure out which works best in terms of focal length & speed then get that..

Hey I just wanted to mention for Derek that many recent studies are indicating that modern

zooms can be every bit as sharp and in some cases sharper than fixed focal length lenses. In

addition I'd like to mention that a lot of photographers do use the 70-200 for this type of

photography.

Andrew,

I'm aware of the 'progress' being made with zooms. I do think it's rare that they are

actually sharper than primes. There is a relatively recent Leica zoom that is said to be 'as

sharp' as the equivalent Leica primes, for example. But, that's not really the point. Ultimate

sharpness isn't even the primary demand, except possibly in beauty work.

Nevertheless, i stand by my statement. "A lot of photographers" are using zooms for

fashion. You'll find them on pbase, flickr, OneModelPlace and ModelMayhem, etc. But, if

we're talking about editorial work for Vogue, Bazaar, etc., and the advertising therein, i

submit that you will not find any significant number of those images shot with zooms.

There are exceptions, of course. I've seen video of Annie Leibovitz using zooms for her

photographs, with a Canon 1DsII/III. Still, it's rare.

Also, i'm not suggesting that most of the images in those magazines couldn't be shot with

zooms. I'm just telling you what is and what isn't being done. It's up to you to draw your

own conclusions as to why.

Sara, whatever you do, dont buy a new lens days before an assignment, use equipment you are fammiliar with.

Also sharpness ~especially with portraits~ isnt everything. Digital captures taken with prime lenses often are softened afterwards because otherwise the result is often very unflattering; slightest blemish or make-up error is visible in meticulous detail when blown up (and when not blown up, lens softness hardly shows unless its a cokebottle..).

If your creativity and commercial skills are fine, youll do fine. If not, not even a 100000$ equipment budget is going to help much.

Just my 2cts

Well, I purchased my 85 1.8 and I lalalalove it! I'm really glad I purchased it.

But I do have another question... how do I convert my RAW pictures? I was told there is suppose to be a CD in the box the camera comes with, and I never got that?