Non-Ai lenses - working meterless in recent bodys

jfserejo

Hy,

taking the risk of this could be a really dumb question, I was wondering if the

Non-Ai Nikkor lenses mount problem in recent body's is mainly because of the

Meter-coupling prongs position in the ring? And if so, is it possible to unscrew

this prongs and mount safely for working meterless?

Thank you so much.

My best regards,

Joao

I had my lenses convert to AI by John White. http://www.aiconversions.com

He did an outstanding job at a reasonable price on my four lenses. If you have several lenses and ship them together, the shipping cost should be manageable - compared to replacing the lenses with new versions.

Call Mr. White and talk it over with him. He is a gentleman to deal with.

It's easy to have the aperture rings of the lenses modified to fit an AI body. A local dealer here did it for one of my lenses for 40 euros. I didn't have the tools myself, so 40 is quite inexpensive. If the repair shop has old aperture rings meant to adapt these lenses to AI, then it should be even cheaper to exchange the rings.

As noted above, the Nikon FE, as well as the FM, F3, and (I think) F4

can mount non-AI lenses. BUT, be sure to read the manual first! In

particular, learn how to push the little button to move the AI coupling tab out of the way, or you could damage the camera trying to mount the non-AI lens. Also, remember to move the tab back when you want to use an AI lens later (or your metering won't work).

I've done my own. Their is a lip that surrounds the mount on Non AI lenses. This lip

interferes with many newer cameras. I use a dremel motortool to grind away the lip so that it

doesn't interfere. If you look at how the lip is removed on newer lens you should be able to

see what needs to be removed. If your not very handy- of course- don't try it. Tape up the

entire back of the lens, the focus seam and front of the lens to keep metal shavings out. I've

done several lenses. 24mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 28mm 2.8, 135mm 2.8. and use them with my

digital cameras.

Hi Joao,

The only people who can give you a definitive answer to whether the lenses would be taxed upon return from John White are your customs officers. You should be able to call them and ask. There should be some way you can register them and avoid taxation.