Large quantity of film needs processing

I have a large quantity of B&W 35mm film that I would like to have processed and printed. I have close to

50 rolls left over from my college days that I unfortunately never got around to processing. Some of it is

quite old but it has been kept in a cool dry place for the last several years. As you know, film processing

can be very pricey and I am on a tight budget these days. Can anyone inform me of a lab that I could

send my film to, to be processed and printed that will not be too expensive and give me a deal on bulk

processing? Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much. Stephen

For 50 rolls of B&W film you'd save money by getting the tank, reel and contact printer second hand (eBay, Craigs list, this site, etc...), Freestyle for chemicals, paper. And then when you're done, resell the equipment. This is assuming you'd be happy with just contact prints. I did get a Besseler Cadet for under $99 at Wolf (they're on clearance there) and then you can make prints up to 8"X10". Total cost for Do It Yourself<$300<p/>Or <a href=http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_prod.php?cat_id=&pid=1000002388>Freestyle mailer</a> (they also have one for 24exp). You''re looking at $1050 to process them all with 4x6" prints. <p/>Just my humble opinion.

Yes. I would just a tank self processing maybe with a jobo machine is the way to go to save money and sell it after .. esp if you live in a big country where you can still get color chemistry. I know in smaller ones and where I am in .. they don't have them anymore and neither can you import as prohibited and liquids are heavy and $$ freight and few powder solutions are left if any.

For your images - scan it in auto then you can go back to these small JPGs which won't take that long .. and the few you like just scan more indepth.

My gut feeling is that for 50 rolls the best discount you may get is 33% or 40%. The amount is still quite a bit ..

Remember with chemistry you can reuse them within the limits - but check the info before and do some other more casual film so you don't screw it up ..

if it is very old c-22 film, unlikely ,the cost would be high and results uncertain. the film copuld be bad.

if it is c-41, the current color neg. a minilab , a few rolls at a time would be cheapest. If you mail it off, send a few rolls at a time so you do not lose the whole lot.

B&W best to do it yourself. Lots of good advice available here.

slides? walmart and others send it out to a reliable lab.

and again send a few rolls at a time.

watch out thet the " minimum wage kids"

don't put it thru the one-hour machines .

this can happen.

sometinmes there are two prices One hour and send-out which is less. Not sending it out is safer. I know that many "would never send film to a mini-lab" But there are those who would caught dead driving a Ford or Chevy, Only Lincoln or Cadillac. If you see a bunch of strange folks at the mini-lab and not people who have been there a while go somewhere else. You can call the company walmart. target, kmart or a drugstore chain and ask the regional manager who is best.

Othere will bitterly dispute this, BUT

when we shot a wedding with c-41 color print ( canon ae-1)and a 4mp digicam, we scanned the 4 x 6 prints on a 300 dpi 10 yeqar old flatbed and compared the printed results to the originals. there was little difference, some of the scans and reprints looked quite good. we gave a cd to the B&G and a set of prints.

as they were shipping overseas to family.

• 3 weeks later...