Processing film in Shanghai, China

dxphoto

I suggest you bring your film back. Just ask for hand-check at airport to avoid X ray.

You can buy B/W film at Shanghai Xing Guang, a very big photograhy market. HP5+ is about 27 yuan/roll for 35mm

add: 288 Lu Ban Rd. Lu Wan District, Shanghai

tel:021-63018248

Don't obsess about airport x-rays, especially if it leads you to have your film souped by a lab you've never used. HP5+ and Tri-X can be scanned a number of times without ill effects, and I've had T-Max 3200 zapped a number of times without any damage resulting. You can ask for a hand-check of film in the US and get it, just to cut down on the number of scans. Overseas, the odds of getting it hand-inspected are nearly zero.

Have you thought about processing your film yourself in Shanghai? Whats to stop you from packing a changing bag, developing tank, and a small supply of developer / fix? Of course homeland security will probably have a cow when they notice a steel cannister and some white powder in your luggage. But it's my understanding that transporting photo chemistry isn't illegal, but then again toothpaste isn't either and they could decide that a tube of pasty substance seems suspicious and confiscate it. Maybe buy chemistry at the address suggested by yang wg. Just a thought.