What to do about sensor/sensor filter damage?

michael_s_ndergaard

Hello there,

I recently tried cleaning my Canon EOS 20D sensor with a small blower--and

during the process a small golden ring fell directly onto the sensor. It left

scratches on what I believe to be the filter that's in front of the sensor--not

the sensor itself (correct me if that might be the case). This sucks because I

know it's my own fault and I voided warranty by attempting to do this on my own.

It's very visible on my shots even at a wide aperture (F/2.8), so I really want

this fixed rather than trying to compensate for it.

What do you recommend I do? Is it worth getting the camera fixed, or might I

just aswell buy a whole new camera?

I'm planning to take it to my foto shop and ask them tomorrow, Rob--if they ask too high a price I'll look for a used 20D, or consider upgrading to the 40D.

@Pete: No, I actually haven't done that, but looking at this test shot you can see how the ring somehow moved and left two marks on the filter--can you maybe see if this is a scratch gathering from this sample picture, or?<div>00Nhii-40448284.JPG.9bc97e4611fd2b804931f76099a521b8.JPG</div>

Michael

You might consider this camera a candidate for conversion to infrared. They replace the filter anyway. It would probably be about the same price as a repair.

If you do go the new camera route, we should get in touch--I would be interested in buying your old one for this very purpose.

Dave

"and it's not that easy to win lawsuits here as it is in the states"

Michael,

Well it ain't all THAT easy here either, but I'm beginning wonder if Harry might not be a retired personal injury lawyer :-)

I'm just shooting from the hip, but if the filter is damaged, you would have to replace it or the sensor unit, so I don't think any additional damage you do would make a difference. OTOH, because it wasn't a human ring, those marks probably aren't oil, so I doubt it you could wipe them off.

I guess I'm saying: It wouldn't hurt to try because you aren't likely to make the situation any worse than it is, but don't expect any positive results either.

Sorry about your mishap, but at least it might be a warning to others. In general, I don't think blowers are an effective way to clean a sensor, and this one in a thousand incident re-inforces that notion.

Michael, how did you remove the ring from the sensor? Did you lick your finger to lift it off? Those marks really do look like a residue from a liquid or oil of some sort. If I were you I would definitely have a go at cleaning it. You can make a small paddle or mini spatula out of a piece of soft flexible plastic, using a knife to cut it. Then double fold a lens tissue and fold it over the end of the paddle. And dampen it with a couple of drops of methanol (if you can get hold of that) or one of the proprietory sensor cleaning fluids. I use methanol cos I've got access to analytical grade methanol. Then it's just a case of wiping the sensor GENTLY across from one side to the other, and back - again if necessary - stating and finishing the wipe at the sensor edges. You certainly won't make your problem any worse, and it may well remove the marks if they are from an oil or fluid. If you don't fancy doing it then maybe your local shop will do it for you.

Good luck....

Michael I'llnottell, "It looks like dirt..."

I'd second that. Specifically, it looks like oil or some other liquid. The white/dark areas are typically what I see when I've transferred a bit of oil (typ. from the mirror chamber) onto my brush and hence to the anti-aliasing filter (aka "sensor").

I'd try a careful wet cleaning with one of the established tools/techniques (ex. SensorSwabs, Copperhill Method, or the like). I'll bet you will be able to remove the marks.

Michael is correct, the glass and coatings are really quite tough (I forget the exact ASTM spec, but I seem to remember the test method involves a rubber pencil eraser...).

It looks like superficial surface contamination to me.

Put the body into sensor cleaning mode, breathe gently onto the sensor filter and gently rub the surface in small circles with a cotton bud (US Q-tip). This will disperse any contamination.

If it doesn't work you haven't lost anything. If it does work you can use more elaborate cleaning methods to clean the surface thoroughly.

Henry

My post here went away. What happened? Oh well... Just wanted to say I've had experience with Lifepixel - they did a great job with my 10D. (Assuming it's not dirt, of course) You might check to see if they can expedite things and use overnight shipping. Good luck!