How Much Money Can be made in STOCK Really ?

jon_kobeck

Yes.

But, it would be a fairly objective matter. What might be decent money for you might be

peanuts for me, and vice versa.

Personally, stock sales account for roughly 50% of my photography income at the moment.

It has risen every year by about five percent for the least five years or so. Which would

seem logical since I continue to add images to my stock collection.

Top earners? In the millions of $ for sure. Their production costs are massive as well.

I agree with Harrington that micro-agencies are best avoided. Unless you shoot only the

kind of images they are filled to the brim with. Specialize, find a unique part of the market

where you can offer something better, with more expertise, etc that anyone else. Then

market to a well targeted list and you'll be surprised at the number of repeat editorial

licenses you'll continue to earn money from time after time. I work with several big book

publishers and over the long haul these represent a lot of income for my small business.

I think the most important thing to keep in mind when entering the stock photo industry

is that it isn't a fast way to earn a lot of money.

A studio not too far from my house brings in more than $1 Million per year. Apparently they are one of three such studios in the US. The photographer keeps a staff of something like 5 or 6 people. I think a big part of being successful in stock photography is marketing yourself. You could have the best images in the world, but if nobody knows who you are, you will not make any money.

Jim Pickerell used to have an annual stock revenue survey. I couldn't see it on his newly reorganized website, but I am pretty sure you could find it on the internet archive. If I remember correctly, among those surveyed, median revenue (not income) from stock was in the $50,000-$75,000 range, with top earners around $500,000. Not that those who replied to the survey were professionals specialized in stock, not microstockers or amateurs.

Here's one survey that is still easily accessible:

http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/features/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003592325

True, there are a few microstockers with high revenues, but they are very atypical, as shown by the pdn survey. Most earn peanuts.

Last, in an interview around last year, Tom Grill stated that nowadays it was quite feasible for a good stock shooter to pull in 1 million.

"It seems that one needs 5000 plus images (GOOD images) before any decent revenues begin, in microstock at least."

Plus those images have to be what advertisers want. Some photographers have invested allot of money and time on this, by aquiring props, lighting, models, studio, but whether Microstock is making it easier for the little guy, I doubt it.

• 2 weeks later...
There is a lot of hype out there. Personally I dont think there is that much to be made out of it. Certainly not Microstock. I think the way to go is set up your picture library and get other photographers running around for you. Thats really the way to do it and that could be the substance of the claims made by some photographers. They may actually be library owners not just photographers.