Nikon Battery for D300

cmulcahy

I ordered a new battery for my D300 and received it in the mail today. Oddly

enough the package came and it was really warm. I opened it up and the battery

itself is giving off a lot of heat. It's not hot to touch but very warm. Is

this normal? Or is the battery bad? Any ideas? I'm a little afraid to put it

in my camera.

A battery that is not plugged into anything shouldn't be radiating heat. By any chance the package was sitting under the sun or inside a hot truck for a while? (Since it is winter in the northern hemisphere, that seems to even less likely.)

I'd say let it cool off, recharge it to full and let it sit for 30 minutes or so. Hopefully it is not still warm by then.

If the battery has just been kept in a warm place it shouldn't take very long at all to cool down to room temperature, so you should easily be able to tell the difference. If it fails to cool down and seems to be actively producing heat on its own, don't even think about plugging it into a charger or your camera - it's potentially dangerous and should be kept well away from anything flammable (preferably outside!) until it can be safely disposed of. Is it a Nikon battery or a 3rd party replacement?

It's a Nikon brand battery. I was outside when the mail man showed up so I took the envelope and was holding onto it for about 5 minutes. I thought how weird what ever is in this package is radiating heat. (I forgot that I ordered another battery for my camera) So I opened it up and the battery itself was obviously warm. My wife suggested that maybe my battery was sitting under the mail man's heater in his truck? I don't know but it has since cooled down. Very strange.

perhaps another bad batch...there was a battery recall some time ago.

My (then brand new d200) got very warm (the body itself). I exchanged it the next day...I know it was the body as it ate through

all my batteries in a couple of hours.