Focus magazine subscription

dbltap4

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Galleries make up a very important and large part of our business, unlike other magazines. There was a massive loss of confidence in our economy from a majority of our advertisers, galleries included. Many felt that the economy was about to collapse until around the time Obama was elected. Since around the beginning of December, things have somewhat stablized and we are in a much better position today.<br>

We worked patiently and dilligently with all of our advertisers and have sustained an excellent relationship with all of them.<br>

Jim, if you are not already signed up for our newsletter, then I ask you to please do so immediately. That would go for anyone who is a subscriber. We sent out two or three notifications during the Autumn to all of our newsletter subscribers regarding all of this. Even if you subscribe online, by law I am not allowed to send you a newsletter regarding Focus Magazine because it is legally viewed as SPAM unless you sign up, specifically, for the newsletter. </p>

• 1 month later...

<p>David,<br>

As you may remember, I paid for a five-page spread in Focus a couple of years ago. I've really enjoyed the magazine and I appreciate what you've done to create something that fine. I've said so on a number of fora and I've defended your performace against a bunch of nay-sayers who complain and run you down, but wouldn't be able to do what you've done.<br>

BUT! I'm a snowbird. I spend winters in Florida and summers in my home state of Colorado. At no time during the years I've been a subscriber have I been able to get you to do a change of address when I move from one location to the other. I can understand the frustration people are having with Focus's inability to handle something as simple as a change of address. I sent you my last change of address in late October, but I have yet to receive a copy of Focus down here in Florida.<br>

I'm afraid I've about given up on Focus. I'm happy to see that the publishers of B&W are out with "Color." I guess between those two I'll be able to do without Focus. Since I can't get Focus most of the year I guess it doesn't really matter.<br>

Regards,<br>

Russ Lewis</p>

<p>Russ! It's been a long time. I hope you're well. I'm sorry we haven't been able to straighten this out. Please call me on Monday, 718-360-4724. Let's see if we can't straighten this out.</p>

<p>And, as far as COLOR or B&W is concerned, while they're both great publications and I do wish them all the best, I'm not really concerned with either of them.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I've never had a more unpleasant interaction over the telephone.<br>

My sister gave me a subscription to Focus for Christmas. The money was taken out of her account in December. Still no magazine. I got a call from my sister today and she was in tears after talking to David on the phone. She asked pretty simple questions ("when will the first issue arrive?") and was called "stupid" and yelled at. She asked to have her $ refunded. More yelling.<br>

David, I realize that economic times are tough and you're working on the magazine. But your lack of decency and horrendous customer service are totally unacceptable.<br>

You've just lost another customer.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Yeah right...almost two years later and despite numerous requests, an ignorant reactions from Spivak himself and after receiving only one issue, he wants me to recommend this publication to a friend...hah.<br>

The only thing Spivak gets remotely right is his scam pleading statement "A Focus Magazine subscription is not time based". <br>

Sorry David I will continue to do what I can to educate the public to your scam.<br>

Dwight<br /> </p>

<p>Good afternoon, <br /></p>

<blockquote>Thank you once again for subscribing to Focus Magazine, the world's premier magazine for collectors of photography. This E-Mail is a notice that your subscription is up-to-date and the last issue that you should have received is issue #17, with Jill Greenberg's photo of a crying girl on the cover. It mailed out sometime last September to all subscribers. If you subscribed after September 2008 and you're receiving this e-mail, you are on our list and your subscription will begin with issue 18. A Focus Magazine subscription is not time based, it is issue-based. Meaning a one-year subscription gives you 4 issues even if, in this economy, it takes us a year and a half to print and mail 4 issues. We definitely don't believe that this will be the case, but just in case. If you'd like to know when you subscribed or receive any information about your subscription, please e-mail <a href="mailto:subscriptions@focusmag.info" target="_blank">subscriptions@focusmag.info.</a> We'll get back to you within 2-3 business days. <br /> <br /> While your subscription is up to date, we'd like to offer you an opportunity: <br /> <br /> Between now and April 30, if a friend, family member or colleague of yours subscribes to Focus Magazine and lets us know that you referred them, you will receive an extension on your subscription by the number of years purchased by that subscriber. <br /> <br /> For instance, if your subscription expires in one year from now and a friend of yours who you referred subscribes for two years; your subscription will be extended for two additional years and will not expire until 2012. <br /> <br /> Additionally, many of you subscribed to Focus Magazine after issue #10. We still have many copies available of issues 4 and 6 - 9. Please visit our back issue section on focusmag.info here to see what back issues you're interested in. With the purchase of any back issue, we will extend your subscription by the number of all back issues you purchase. For example, if you purchase two back issues, we will extend your subscription by two issues. <br /> <br /> I want to thank you so much for your support to Focus Magazine and as we grow, we will look to the subscribers who supported us along the way and do everything in our power to make sure they receive the highest quality magazine for photography collectors on newsstands today. <br /> <br /> If you want to know specifics regarding your subscription, please feel free to e-mail me. <br /> <br /> In the meantime, <a href="http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102554307660&s=2086&e=001nTI1BirL5egcTfYivPO-gANuIYoNsT7QNDEuUtk00gKM3AzmwvmRcw61YRWyqwvc00tDT1F7YrC0sxQQmsqTd_rb7oKs4NBK2Rj4ZAdHObkbyT0Tgz7xpb3mu2x8IQ0lOAv6JgLKaj8=" target="_blank">click here for a free preview of the upcoming June 2009</a> issue that you can download via PDF. If you'd like to pre-order this issue, this issue will arrive to your door before newsstands receive it and you'll still receive your normal subscription copy via the post office a few weeks later. <br /> <br /> Sincerely, <br /> <br /> David S. Spivak <br /> Publisher Focus Magazine <br />

<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> Sincerely, <br /> <br /> David S. Spivak <br /> Publisher Focus Magazine <br /> 718.360.4724 <br />

<p><br /> <br /> <br /> </blockquote></p>

<p>The above newsletter was sent to thousands of subscribers just the other day. I have been working diligintly to get the next issue out - and it will be out soon. If a subscriber provided me with an E-Mail address, they received that newsletter.<br>

If a subscriber has an issue with their subscription, they can take up with me via E-Mail. I will not respond to baseless, immature attacks on an internet forum.</p>

<p>Well David,<br>

I have emailed you and you haven't had the courtesy of responding. I have phoned - talked to you personally only to get yelled at. Imature David, look in the mirror and reread the above notes. That should give you a clear indication of where the magazines problems are - You!<br>

You call this a baseless attack - hmmm well let's see two years into my subscription and I have only received one copy. If that is not fact based than you don't know what the word means.<br>

Imature. You are the one who needs to grow up, quit ripping people off with phony excusese and live up to your contracted obligations.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, this website is awful with sending me my passwords thus the delay in response to your post.<br>

Dwight - I'm not really sure how to respond to you. Last year when I contracted with the new subscription service - I promised every single one of you that if you were on the subscription list, you'd get a copy of the April and August issues. And what happened? Everyone got a copy. If they didn't - I sure as heck don't know anything about it because no one told me. I provided everyone with a phone number and a contact person to call if they were on the list and did not receive their copy so replacement copies could be sent out to them to ensure they receive what they paid for.<br>

As I promised - there are no longer any issues with sending out subscriptions. Everyone who subscribes, gets their copies.<br>

Now, unfortunately, last Autumn I was unable to work on the magazine due to health reasons. The delay in printing was sent to every single one of my newsletter subscribers.<br>

This January, I was able to start focusing on the magazine again, but by that time several galleries had already closed, several photographers were barely able to make ends meet and others had their homes foreclosed upon. Advertising has been very difficult and we are almost at a place where we can finally put ink to paper. I've rejected previous offers to have Focus Magazine "bought out" because I would no longer retain full editorial and art control of the publication in either opportunity that was presented to me. Therefore; I've continued to run this magazine with my own personal money since day 1.<br>

I recently sent out three e-mail blasts to every single subscriber who provided me with an e-mail - notifiying them of the continuing delay and everything I said above. Additionally, the second and third e-mail blasts were sent to subscribers whose subscription is due and subscribers whose subscription is up-to-date. I have kept everyone who has paid their money to Focus Magazine for a subscription up-to-date on what's going on.<br>

I have a Facebook page, a Facebook Group and I'm on Twitter. Besides installing private security cameras so everyone can watch me as I work on the magazine 24/7, there is not much more I can do. A vast amount, over 90% of my subscribers are patient and realize how bad the economy is and are being extrmely supportive. The other 10% I'm doing whatever I can to make happy - answering their e-mails and ensuring they get their money's worth.<br>

Your comments are untrue and unhelpful Dwight. I have done EVERYTHING in my power to keep this magazine alive in this depressed economy. Magazines are facing two wars. War 1: The economy being in a near-depression. War 2: Print publications are becoming more and more scarece because of increased expenses and increased interest in online versions of their publication. Publications are, stupidly in my opinion, offering an online version of their publication where people can access their information for free. Who wants to pay for something you can get for free? To stay relevant in today's marketplace I need not remind any photographer is difficult enough. To stay relevant in a near-depression economy - ESPECIALLY when consumers who are interested in luxury goods are holding onto their money and galleries are dropping like flies - well that's nearly impossible.<br>

But Focus Magazine offers relevant, in-depth content along with extremely high quality printing that cannot be found in any other magazine in the world. Pages upon pages of expert columnists, collectors, curators all talking about the industry of photography and collecting it is very relevant to those involved in the industr and those looking to become involved in the industry. That is why Focus Magazine will survive this recession and why we will be around quite a long time. Additionally, we expanded to include book printing services, an online photography bookstore as well as a new online exhibition guide which will be up and running soon.<br>

So when you say I'm not doing enough for my subscribers - I laugh at you. My subscribers are my top priority and I'm doing everything I can for them. I can't remember when the last time I got a paycheck was nor can I remember my last day off. Running a niche magazine in a near-depression economy is a 24/7/365 job which I'm more than happy to do... I just want all of my subscribers to be happy as well which is why I sent out that e-mail to inform them of what was happening.<br>

Now I have to get back to working and I truly hope this post solves your questions.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>WOW so here it is July 1.... and NO MAGAZINE... and now David once again claims that the next issue is going to the printer next week... so what happened since January when he said the same thing... I AM NO LONGER BELIEVING .... I am now becoming convinced that this is a SCAM....</p>

<p>Dwight I agree with you on this...<br />It is really a shame because I really do like the magazine... problem of course is that if it doesnt get published then what good is it...</p>

<p>oh and David did add me as a friend to Facebook and now he has removed me because he doesnt want anything said that doesnt fit his fantasy world of eating ice cream and other nonsense....... thanks for removing me since it was a waste of my time reading non relevant stuff about you ... I JUST WANT MY MAGAZINE THAT I PAID FOR 18 months ago... I dont want any more bull about IT IS GOING TO THE PRINTER......</p>

<p>Supposedly I was supposed to get a refund back in December. Never happened. All of these silly delays and I am convinced that he will, at best, publish 1 issue per year. That means that his liabilities are stacking up faster than his assets or income. Not good. Yes, the economy has hurt many publishers, but this issue appears to have begun way before the economy went south. Maybe it is time for me to update my blog posting on my blog.<br>

What a hoax. He was atrociously rude to both me and a good friend of mine, and he somehow thinks it is ok to treat his customers like dirt. David should ingest some lithium to get a better grip on his personality traits.</p>

<p>Time to do what I've done and write it off. A couple years ago I spent a bunch of money for a five page spread in Focus, and I still think it was a beautiful job. For a long time I've stood behind David, hoping he'd find a way to get Focus back on track, but I've finally given up. I still have some issues coming, though I've lost track of my subscription status, but I don't expect ever to see them. It's a shame. David's big problem is organization. I spend winters in Florida and summers in Colorado and I've yet to be able successfully to get a change of address. I think he did a great job on the magazine itself but he simply can't handle the business organization side of the operation.<br>

Russ Lewis</p>

<p>You are correct Russ that it is a beautiful magazine but what good is that when he never publishes it. In fact, I will state that of all the photo art magazines that I have enjoyed both in the USA and in Europe, FOCUS is the BEST QUALITY AND BEST PHOTO ART MAGAZINE I EVER SEEN. It is just frustrating to pay for a subscription and then not get the magazine. Ironically I subscribed so I would not miss the few issues that my Barnes and Noble stocks - which interestingly my 2 Barnes and Noble stores management have told me that FOCUS was out of business. His inability to get the mag out isnt helping his business. <br>

I agree from all my correspondences and the emails here, I too concluded he knows ART but not BUSINESS. <br>

He did respond to my emails this morning and has put me back as a friend on Facebook and so I accepted and I will try not to be RUDE as he put it. He promised he would keep updating the progress on the magazine on Facebook. He got upset at me for being negative on his facebook wall but I told him that he was the one who decided to use Facebook as a communications vehicle for his business and needs not to be surprised that some of us would be very frank about our concerns about once again giving us hope that we soon will see another issue. <br>

The sad thing is that he has a great magazine that is worth every penny.... in fact I think he is not asking enough for the issues. He should ask double what he is getting because of the high quality of the paper and inks used. However having said that, it isnt worth anything if he doesnt get it out to us. <br>

I for one want to see Focus continued. So I hope and wish him all the best. </p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<p>Focus is not the only magazine not sending issues to its paying customers, or communicating with them. I paid for a two year subscription to B&W Magazine. Unfortunately I did not receive some issues, others I did. Trying to communicate with B&W Magazine or the publisher Ross Periodicals did not get me any result. Also they ignore me, both by email as well as by postmail. It really is annoying.<br>

Anybody else having problems with B&W Magazine?<br>

Arwin Baan</p>

<p>I do see it (BW) at Barnes & Noble all the time..... I will say that I will never ever subscribe to any of those speciality photo mags again... I will just take my chance of finding it at the newsstands..... so far I received TWO issues of FOCUS since DECEMBER of 2007..... I dont think I missed any ...just has not been published since AUGUST or so of 2008 - wow that makes it 12 months now..... </p>

<p> </p>

<p>I've received, in the past six months, literally hundreds of e-mails from subscribers wanting to know where their issue, that they paid for with their hard-earned money, was. The truth is - we've had some very difficult financial problems due to the stock market crash last year, advertisers pulling out due to the uncertainty of the economy and so on. When I tried to obtain a loan for the business so that we could print this issue, the loan was rejected because we've never had to borrow money to meet our biggest expense: The printing of the magazine. Since our first issue, we've ALWAYS made a profit. That profit has always been re-invested in improving the magazine, increasing our circulation to meet more collectors and increasing the overall printing quality of every issue. <br /> <br /> A little over two years ago, Focus Magazine made the transition from web printing which was a bit like a mass-produced, assembly line magazine (I cite B&W as a perfect example of this) where the actual time spent on an issue is less important than doing everything possible to move this issue onto the printer and getting it off. That's the way, I believe, a large, commercial, web printer makes the most profit. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But overall print quality is not a reason why that is. Many of you can go back through older issues of Focus (2- 12) and look through those issues to find numerous reproduction problems. Pre-press took a day or two and then plates were made and we went to print and that was it. A week later, I had a finished copy. It was inexpensive, affordable and an extremely efficient way to get a finished product. <br /> <br /> In June, 2007 Focus Magazine began a relationship with Brilliant Graphics. To my "horror," pre-press took two weeks, minimum, and printing, folding and binding the magazine took an additional 2-3 weeks -- and that was rushing it. After my first experience with Brilliant Graphics -- I wanted to do everything in my power to run back to my old web printer! Where were my 1-week magazines? Where was the speed and efficiency? <br /> <br /> Then I received the first copy of Focus Magazine printed by Brilliant Graphics. I was in shock, really. The magazine was GORGEOUS. It was one of the most beautiful piece of printed work I had ever seen in my life. Something on par to the quality of LensWork of one of Lodima Press' books which just always made me relish the overall print quality. For years I had eaten a very good piece of steak at my favorite steak chain restaurant, where speed and efficiency is primary to overall quality and then someone had taken me a world renown steakhouse that people traveled to from all over the world just to eat a piece of steak. Upon first bite of this steak, or upon first view of this magazine, I was hooked. And so were my advertisers, readers on newsstands and subscribers. In the second half of 2007, Focus Magazine sold more subscribers than we had in entire two years we had been in business. We had obtained advertising from some of the highest level AIPAD galleries in the world. Our newsstand sell through rate was in the 70% range, meaning for every 10 copies of the magazine put in bookstores, 7 would sell. While the average sell-through rate for other magazines is in the 30-40% range and we had been averaging high 40s, low 50s.<br /> <br /> And we began doing very, very well for some time. We printed four more issues with Brilliant Graphics -- and then last July and August I was kept extremely busy working on Rabbi Sinclair's book. So, I finally had time to begin selling for the December 2008 issue of Focus Magazine around the first full week of September... and then the stock market nearly collapsed. And advertiser after advertiser either went out of business, lost their full time job and had to cancel, or was unsure if their doors were going to be open next week. <br /> <br /> I'm sure many of you will ask - "Why didn't you just use the money in your savings account to print the next issue of Focus and wait?" The answer is three-fold. A: To print, fold and bind a magazine is no small expense. By the time all of the expenses are factored, between my time, the time the editors spend on the magazine, the time spent laying out and designing the articles and ads, printing, folding, binding and postage we are in the six-figure range. And once one issue is printed and paid for, what about the next and after that one? Of course, we could cut expenses and run off to the next web-printer and have Focus Magazine printed as an assembly line product with very little care or concern given to its overall product and more care and concern over the time spent on press.<br /> <br /> And of course, even if we would approach a bank for a loan that would fund everything for a year, which would run very close into the 7-figure mark, then this magazine would be in debt of over $1 million with interest. <br /> <br /> Simply put: It wasn't smart business strategy. The right idea was to hold back, keep in touch with as many remaining advertisers as we had, work to get new ones, keep in touch with all of our subscribers, create a new central location where all of our subscribers can be kept up to the second on the latest news on the magazine (via our Facebook account and fan page) and then when the time was right, we would print. <br /> <br /> We have finally approached that time. <br /> <br /> Below are images taken from the first day of printing of Issue #18 of Focus Magazine. Every 16 pages is printed on a 25 x 38 sheet of paper. One side holds 8 pages and the other side holds 8 pages (16 page signature) and then the paper is folded, trimmed and bound. There are 12 of these 16-page signatures this issue, plus a cover. The magazine should be ready to ship to subscribers by early September. <br /> <br /> I thank all of my subscribers, for their patience. We have never given up and many of you have never given up on us.<br /> <br /> Follow us on Facebook for real-time updates on this issue and more.<br /> <br /> http://www.facebook.com/p.php?i=1304525325&k=Z5E2Q56X3Y31UCEHWAY3UUY<br /> <br /> http://focusmag.info/issue18/BackOfSteveMcCurryForm.jpg<br /> http://focusmag.info/issue18/CoverAtColorConsoleOnPress.jpg<br /> http://focusmag.info/issue18/CoverInQCBooth.jpg<br /> http://focusmag.info/issue18/Form5Front.jpg</p>

<p>We get about ten magazine subscriptions in my house. Not one has tried to make any excuses for the financial situation that is currently afflicting most publications. Most try to arrange for other subscriptions when they fold. None I have seen tell people to go to Facebook to find out why they aren't getting their issues.</p>

<p>I have to say that, although I haven't subscribed to the magazine, this thread convinced me a long time ago not to buy the magazine. I have to say that the response is absolutely pathetic, non-stop excuses and non-excuses.</p>

<p>Not excuses, Jeff. They are reasons. Our society is so full of people like you, wanting everything here and now give it to me, give it to me, give it to me. We are not owned by a mega fortune 500 corporation like PDN or are non-profit and rely on donations like Aperture. Nor are we a magazine that will ever sacrifice quality just to get a magazine to our subscribers. I for one would rather wait and receive something of amazing quality then to receive something like 99% of all of the other magazines are out there. If you're happy with those magazines, so be it. It's a free country.<br>

And I directed people to our facebook page so they would receive real-time updates on the printing of the magazine signature by signature. We are about to send out the very same post I made on here to all of my subscribers via e-mail.</p>

<p>Well Jeff, you're certainly on the money with this one and very wise of you not to get sucked into Spivak's web of lies and deceit. Two years later since subscribing and I have received only one issue. By the way Spivak, two years ago there was no financial crisis just a litany of other excuses and blatant lies about your inability to deliver on a contractually agreed committment.<br>

Hmmm...maybe just maybe I will start a focus magazine scam site on facebook and then we can really see how many have been sucked in on this scheme.<br>

...Dwight</p>