Email Campaign To Save Kodak HIE-135 Infrared

Hu Rahh, thats the fighting spirit! Thats what its all about! Going down with whatever ammo you have in your belt. Giveing up is for quiters, fighting with all you have and until the end is for winners and shows charachter!

I respect and admire your character Jim!

Keep swinging and know that I am right next to you, swinging with every ounce of breathe I can muster!

Luke

I tell ya, if you sit back and look at the post and contributions to this forum, it is unreal. Everday someone writes in with another either, YEAH or YOUR OUT OF YOUR MIND, if ALL of those NO ppl would have written a letter to Kodak, we would have had antoher 12 0r 13 emails to Kodak, rather than 12 or 13 people telling us to give up and shut up, and your dummb for doing that, blah blah, like I said, ain't got anything postive to write, then just waste your time like us and write KODAK! Or buy a 1000 rolls if you can afford it..If I could I would!

Oh, the answer to your ? John, my operation is setup un the Cental Southern US, in the South. Louisisna is where I live, but I serve the MS, TX, AR, AL, OK, areas. I am a retired Ailine pilot and have a plane and I fly to a lot of locations for work. It really sounds to most as expensive, but to be honest, it isn't. My plane was only about the price of a new Lexus, bout 75k (price of a LUx Car) does 205Mph, and on 7 gallons of Fuel/Hr. So I can get a long way in 1hr for cheap, bout 205miles for 28bucks. If I make multiple stops for work, it is nothing. Plus is it a tax write off at the end of the year cause I use it for work and I am an LLC.

Yeah, I wish Remington still made the Nylon 66 .22 rifle from my high school days, too, but they don't. And start producing all the pre-64 bolt actions again. Markets come and markets go, next year will be some other product arriving or departing, in the case of Kodak, the product will be products. I've been buying and using kodak paper, film, and chemistry since 1979, so I've done my part, I'll continue using my darkroom as long as I can buy products for it, but probably won't be kodak. Like others have said, if there is no demand for a product....and a couple of hundred, or even thousand photographers isn't a market, and it ain't gonna happen. Sure, I'd love them to bring back Panatomic X, Verichrome Pan, and HIE in 4x5 format. I encourage everyone who is motivated to write emails, however, but I question if it's any more effective than setting a "dont buy or use digital" day, etc.

I disagree with Ansel Adams rolling over in his grave re digital. I saw a film in the mid to late 1980's where he talked about the future and digital. I should try to find that on dvd, but if I recall correctly, he didn't talk about it with sadness or disdain, but as something that was coming and mediums changing.

I really didn't mean ansel Adams rolling aboutt digital, more about rolling about some of the old products we use to use in the 70's and such that are gone. I mean look at what he used, and the result. Its kinda like plastic or metel, plastic is cheaper easier and such, but metel is more durable, last longer, and holds for longer. Thats why my 1948 Contax IIA takes pictures better than my new Nikon film camera. Kinda what I meant was, they don't make em like they use to, film and cameras...sorry..

L.

To all who have posted negative responses to the suggestion of emailing Kodak to save HIE-135 infrared film:

If you disagree with the idea, fine, but why try to influence others with your negativity? Too many cynical people with too many bad attitudes and negative opinions think they gain some sort of power trip by posting their stupid opinions on forums like this. This is not about personal opinions -- It's about film and keeping it from becoming unavailable. Go get your stupid power trip somewhere else!

I have no idea how many people have emailed Kodak, since I gave the direct address to them. I have received dozens of responses from photographers all over the world, all supporting this effort. This campaign has only been going for a couple of weeks, and I feel that the momentum it has created is still strong. All I did was write some emails, and post some posts on forums. Not like it was a huge commitment or big effort!

So, if you don't want to write a letter, fine. DON'T!

NOW... To all of you who HAVE written Kodak:

Thank you. I have made some wonderful new friends from this effort and that is a reward I had never expected. Many people have written me, thanking me for making this happen. I did it because I know that so many of you are producing such beautiful photos using this film and if it goes, the future of this art form goes.

This campaign will at least let Kodak know that they are responsible for the past and future of an art form. They have heard responses from the best photographers using HIE-135 and know what it means to them to be able to get their film of choice. Other friends have written in who have never used HIE-135, but are fans of infrared photography.

If you care about film photography, be it infrared, color or B/W, Kodak needs to hear from you. This is not my opinion, it is a fact. If they get enough responses, they will not be able to ignore it. Yes, the idea might seem crazy, like jousting windmills. Don Quixote is one of my heroes! Write! Even if you don't think it will work, do it! What will it cost you? How much effort will it take? Who will criticize you?

So keep the wheels turning. If you have written and know someone else who should write, tell them. If you know someone who can do a magazine article about this, the exposure would be a great boost to the effort. If you are a photographer with an email list of clientèle and galleries, email them. If you are in advertising and have co-workers that might use IR photos, get them to write. Pay no attention to the nay-sayers... THIS IS MAKING A DIFFERENCE!

Sincerely,

James C. Williams<div>00NXoL-40199984.jpg.90bfd6a4598432f7f37ae089477f83ba.jpg</div>

James, maybe it is a stupid opinion, but I still think it makes more sense to suggest that going out and buying film will do more to keep it in production than writing emails (which cost nothing and provide no financial incentive for the companies to keep producing film). It strikes me as very odd that you're casting those of us who recommend buying film as the bad guys in this debate.

Also I would like to say, to THOSE PPL THAT ALL SUGGEST WE GO OUT AND BUY THE HIE TO SAVE IT.

WHAT IN THE HECK DO YOU THINK WE ARE CAMPAINING FOR, WE USE IT ALL THE TIME. WE BUY IT ALL THE TIME! B@H is SOLD OUT!

BEACAUSE WE BOUGHT IT ALL!

I MEAN DUAHHH, we wouldn't be doing this is we wern't BUYING IT!

How freaking ignorant can some ppl be?

• 2 weeks later...

To whom it may concern,

Kodak Corporate

12-12-2007

Re: Infrared HIE Discontinuance

I have been a professional photographer for 20+ years and have used Kodak film and

papers for the majority of my work. In 1987 I began using Kodak HIE 35mm infrared film

for my fine-art subjects. It is now my primary film for all my personal work. Over the past

ten years I have also used HIE for about a dozen commercial and advertising campaigns

that have called for infrared film, Including 5 days for the city of Culver City, California, A

poster for General Motors Saturn Cars, 4 days for the City of Monterey Park, California,

and an entire collateral campaign for the Bank of A. Levy in Ventura, California. I consume

between 60 and 80 rolls of HIE every year.

HIE is a unique and wonderful product that spurred legions of artists who specialized in

the "Kodak Infrared Look", and many like me, have remained steadfast users for decades.

Now that the edges of my film are revealed in my photos, the word KODAK is shown on

every print I make. I often exhibit my infrared images in galleries, and for such an

"obscure" film it is amazing how many people recognize and comment with, "That must

be infrared...." It has become an American photographic phenomenon, and there is a

European contingent of loyalists as well, despite the real difficulty involved in getting the

film overseas.

Though many scientific and government uses of the film have been converted to digital,

the film still retains a devoted following of art and wedding shooters. These are the same

amateurs and professionals that have supported the Kodak film division with their color

negative and transparency purchases. These are the same film enthusiasts that buy yellow

bottles of developer, stop bath, fix, selenium toner, etc. I would argue that with the

recent resurgence of interest in large-format film photography, Kodak HSI, 4x5 infrared

sheet film would be more viable now, then in 2002, when it was discontinued.

Most HIE devotees have seen the writing on the wall, and most have braced for the

discontinuance of HIE with bulk purchases, knowing all to well that the day would come

when, like Kodak Enlarging Paper, HIE would cease to exist. I see little promise of a

change of direction from a corporation the size of Kodak. However, I write this letter in

hopes that the HIE product line can be revived, even at a higher price or longer cycle

between coating runs. Unlike the discontinuance of Kodak papers and slide films, the

decision to discontinue HIE is not mitigable by photographers switching to competing film

brands. In this instance there is no comparable replacement film from any supplier,

anywhere, at any price.

While Kodak continues to discontinue analog products and services corroding brand

loyalty, smaller companies like Harmon Technology appear to respond to their customer's

appeals and revive product lines (SFX-200), reaping huge public relations and brand-

loyalty dividends. Over the next 90 days every photo magazine in the world will be

editorializing about the loss of such a venerable film as HIE, while on the other side of the

spread, a glossy ad tries to sell Kodak film. I respectfully request that you maintain

production of HIE, even if only as a publicity strategy.

With hope,

Stephen Schafer,

Schafphoto.com

The email campaign to save Kodak HIE-135 infrared film is continuing.

Thanks to Simon Marsden who shared a contact at Amateur Photographer Magazine in UK, an article appeared on their online version Wednesday, 12 December and they will publish an article covering the campaign in their printed magazine as well.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/

Likewise, thanks to Jennifer Calais Smith in NYC, who shared a contact at PDN magazine, who interviewed me yesterday for an article that will appear soon in their online magazine, and I will post the date for that ASAP.

http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/index.jsp

Now for the bad news, the powers that be at Kodak have issued a statement:

"While we very much appreciate the correspondence we've received from some photographers who use our infrared film and would like to be able to purchase it in 2008 and beyond, the fact is the decline in use of infrared film has been so substantial over the years that it is no longer practical for Kodak to continue to manufacture the film given the extremely low demand and volume, the age of the product formulations and the complexity of the processes involved. Infrared film will be available through the end of 2007."

This statement does not in any way dissuade me from continuing the campaign. I am sure that their intentions are to try to get me to stop this campaign, but I feel more determined than ever to cause a positive outcome for the future of HIE infrared film. Whether it is that Kodak reconsider and continue making it, or if they choose to hand the emulsion formula to one of the other manufacturers, either would be good - my preference being that Kodak think in terms of finding a way to manufacture the film and market it in a profitable way.

So, my message to you photographers impacted by this issue, is to keep positive. I expect further exposure, bringing more impact to the campaign. Any and all of you who have lists of fellow photographers to send the message to, do so now and generate more emails.

Also, let us consider this a banner for all film photographers for the fight to keep the films we have and want in the future. Film photography never need be in jeopardy if we who use film make people aware that it is an important part of the art form of photography. If Picasso had been told by the manufacturer of his favorite blue paint (the BLUE PERIOD paint!) that they were not going to make it anymore, what would he have done? Find your inner Picasso and stand up for the film you use. Contact the manufacturers now and express your gratitude for your favorite film. People make decisions regarding these choices and people can be influenced, which is the heart of this campaign.

Sincerely,

James C. Williams<div>00Ney7-40379584.jpg.7d38ff313f4371a058143a5fba6c31f6.jpg</div>

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...