Help... my friend is trying to get a modelling agent and wants me to shoot her.

My friend is trying to find a modeling agent and can't afford to have a pro

photographer in NYC shoot her. What kind of film should I use, color or B&W?

Should I shoot it like a headshot or more of a profile shot? Studio-lighting is

not an option, but I have a stroboframe and a decent flash. What are the

standards these days?

Get the book: PROFESSIONAL MODEL PORTFOLIOS, by Billy Pegram, published by Amherst Media .. check the photography section of your local Borders bookstore, $30. It tells you all you'll need to know and gives you some great ideas.

Initial shots don't need to be nearly as good as what you see in the book. The agent will want headshots, 3/4 and full length; variety of clothing .. don't get too carried away with theames and lighting but do study poses and expression. Take a few rolls of film and select only 10 shots, your absolute best and send her on her way. The film type you use is a decision based on the lighting and how intense the color you desire. For people shots, Kodak Portra and Fuji NPS work well; some people like the flavor of Reala for portraits. And yes, you should shoot a roll of black and white too.

You said this was a friend, so you might want to check into the local major city scene for model agents and do some homework to find a reputable person .. avoid the garage glamor shots and keep it simple and sophisticated. Generally, a simple shoot should cost you a few hundred bucks.

You don't need studio lighting and perhaps your best shots will be natural light. Every town or city has a park, or some buildings for an interesting backdrop .. pick a day, check the weather forecast and use your knowledge of good light; use fill flash to make your subject pop from the background and make your pictures. These are always fun to do.

Simple shots, good and compelling eye contact seem to be what they'll need to evaluate the person for future photo potential. Models usually work with many different photographers. BTW, you might want to read up on some hair and makeup issues .. my experience with girls who want to be models is that they come in with usually the wrong makeup and too much of it .. yuck! You should know that makeup in black and white is a different ball game.

Sounds like your first model shoot so have fun with it. It might surprise you but generally photographers expend a lot of film to get one good shot. You should come prepared with extra film and use a good photo lab.

You need to ask around. Call some modeling agents and ask them what they want.

For theatrical work, in NYC I understand black and white is standard; here in Hollywood, it's all color these days.

You won't know for sure until you ask around. Just pick up the phone book and call five or ten agencies, or some modeling schools.

No; Black and white is not standard any more.

She needs to talk to several agents and ask them what they want, and bring you with to their offices to see examples.

Personally, I would use medium format transparency film in a Mamiya RB-67 for this job. The 6x7 format means you can blow up to an 8x10 format without losing any quality from cropping. Then I would scan the good ones and have litho prints made to save money. If you are set on using flash, then you need a daylight-balanced film. Fuji Astia, Provia, or Velvia depending on the effect you want. Astia is low contrast and subdued, Provia is about dead neutral, and Velvia is higher contrast and saturates more. You probably won't want Velvia unless it is somehow part of your concept. Provia is a solid bet. WHen in doubt, just get the most neutral film possible. I am not familiar with Kodak's selection, as it was so darned confusing for so many years, so I just use Fuji.

Personally (again), I would do this with Photofloods and Fuji 64T. It is my favorite color film.

If you must do this with 35mm, I would really recommend using the 64T.

Keith