Is Rolleipan 25 identical to Agfapan 25?

Troll

Rollei PAN 25 is an improved OrWo NP15 receipture produced by Filmotec (former OrWo), Wolfen Germany, exclusively for Rollei/Maco. The film is pretty good, certainly their last run (December 2006) with even smaller grain and a slightly effective lower speed (iso 25). It's available on 35mm, 120 roll film and longht lenght bulk material 100ft/30,5m.

One of the best combinations for this film is with a Beutler type developer: Neofin Blau/Blue - Amaloco AM50 or a high dilution Rodinal (1+50 - 1+100).

Here the comparision by Digitaltruth of the Rollei PAN 25 - Agfa APX 25 (discontinued 2001) and Efke 25.

APX 25 was indeed an extraordenary good film:

http://www.digitaltruth.com/store/rollei_pan25.html

The Q.C. of all Rollei films are pretty good. I do not think I have to tell anybody about the Q.C. in Croatia (Efke).

It's a pity nobody wants to invest a large sum of money for an upgrade and ISO 9001 system overthere.

The Foma factory in Hradec Kralové (Czech Republic) was more fortunate to do that step and made big investments for the future years ago, which was a wise decision.

All these special films have a production frequency of once a year or even less. Rollei PAN 25 was fine tuned for the last time in December 2006. The previous version was iso 32 and slightly more grain. Filmotec was able to go under the Efke 25 level in grain for this newer version.

It's remarkable nobody noticed this rather small change. This film is on the international market for 3 years now.

Thanks, Guys.<P>My freezer overflows with old emulsions that will probably never be used (by me). I sold the last brick of my Professional Kodachrome 25 a couple of years ago, but there are still bricks of APX25, Efke25, and Velvia 50, as well as bags of all the AGFA emulsions for Minox, lots of sheet film and even a few "new" 4x5 Tri-X film packs.<P>

Robert: I have to disagree with your statement about the quality control of the Rollei films. I was the US importer for their R3 sheet film and ran into problems with defects. The factory (Maco) was not even willing to take the problems seriously, insisting that the users are at fault. In over 40 years as a photographer I have never heard of such irresponsible behaviour by a film maker. They lied to us, sent short dated film and defective film. Then they resorted to personal insults. Finally, after promoting the product for almost a year I had to discontinue it. I would suggest that photographers stick with a reputable company.

All our suppliers have their responsibility to replace any defective materials (in this case film).

We are dealing with Rollei, Fuji and Foma and ALL manufacturers have their responsibility to do that. And so far all manufacturers (except Fuji, because so far for years we had no defects) have done that.

I do not think a forum is the right place to discuss any problem between a distributor and manufacturer in this way.

Dear Bruce,

your contribution was read. We do not want to go, however, on this level, and over the true background in a forum to discuss. You confound from the first day to your incorrect processing with the quality of the film. Whereupon, we referred to you, again and again. Diffusion clouds originated from the too short development time, and not from the film. I consider it totally unfair, such contributions to posts, which are based causally on processing errors, and which has nothing to do with the quality of the film. The ROLLEI PAN 25 is a outstanding product, Made in Germany! It does not have anything to do with the molder APX 25, or also with the MACO UP 25plus. The ROLLEI PAN 25 was introduced at the Photokina in Cologne in 2004 for the first time, and is since 2005 in the sales. In order to supplement the quality of low speed films around a further product, ROLLEI-FILM offers the ROLLEI ATP1.1 for 4 weeks now in Europe. This new film has the task to close the gap with was tom with the closed production of the original KODAK TP2415.

Regards

Wolf

• 2 weeks later...