When NEW version of 5D coming?

iqbal

Canon EOS 5D was introduced about 3 years ago? Any news about an updated

version of 5D? Surprised that during last year, so many versions of Eos like

20D, 30D and even 40D were introduced, but nothing new on 5D front? Any reason?

Thanks.

Yes incedible 3 years as FF frame queen on that price range and as of now only competitiong comes from another canon product the 40D. That is how much ahead Canon has been form the other company. But gap is closing fast!

They will upgrade 5D soon I belive.

1DsII was announced September 2004, and the mark III was announced August 2007. 1DII was announced January 2004, and the mark III in February 2007. Looks like 3 years to me. If the 5D follows the same schedule it would be September 2008 for an update. No reason to expect that though, the 5D is not in the same class as the 1 series. Other than the full frame sensor, it has more in common with the 20D/30D/40D series.

There's no competition for the 5D (yet). If you want a full frame DSLR you have to fork over $8000 for a 1Ds MkIII, $5000 for a Nikon D3 (when it's available) or under $2100 for a 5D. I'm not too surprised that Canon don't seem to be in any hurry to replace it with an upgrade.

I would not be surprised if it comes at CES or PMA of 2008 as it is the only DIGIC II camera in the current line up that stands alone. Yes, the 30d and the Rebel XT remain in the line up but they have the 40d and the XTi ahead of them.

Here's what I figure will come- 14 to 16 meg sensor, DIGIC III or IV with Highlight Tone Priority, dust shake sensor (those are the features that will push it in the line up as many of these are used by wedding photographers- the 5d w/ 24-105 begs to be a 'wedding' camera!)

I'll be at PMA, not CES this year- CES is just too crazy and not enough 'photo' interest to me ALTHOUGH there were a lot of new cameras announced there last year! This year it was from PMA (February) to August for the release of the first DIGIC III camera (Mark III 1d) to the 40d and the 1ds so about February 2008 seems like a good fit for the final shoe to drop- the 5ds or 5d DIGIC III or 6d or ?

So- any reason? No, but somebody has to be last- and since the 5d was first (full frame at a APS price) this will be last- but worth the wait unless you need a body today!