counter window stuck?

I can't really tell if the window on the Holga that i'm using is stuck or if i'm

doing something wrong. It's stuck down, so i don't really know how many picture

i'm going to get or if they are the right size. Anyone had this problem... or

know of any possible solutions?

Neil,

If you have an extra roll of 120 film you don't mind wasting, I'd recommend taking it out and unrolling it outside of the camera. Look at the back and note how it has numbers printed on it.

Those numbers are your "counter." Aka there is no counter. The "counter" is just the printing on the paper being moved to line up with the window. Aside from the shutter there's nothing mechanical about the Holga.

If you loaded the film and saw the first frame number show up in the window by turning the film advance then you just need to keep turning. But if you've never saw the first number come up then you probably loaded the film incorrectly and it's not being taken up by the spool.

Google from Holga Loading Techniques or similar for any number of good guides (with photos) on how to properly load the Holga.

Good luck and happy shooting!

It does take some force to move that sliding window tab, especially on the older ones. Placing the tab in the "down" position (12) will give you the correct count for 6 x 6 framing (using the number printed on the film's backing paper as Rob stated). Be sure to remove the film mask from inside. Placing the tab in the "up" position (16) will allow you to shoot with the 6 x 4.5 mask in the camera.

Also, I would suggest keeping a flap of electrical tape over the red window, as modern film is sensitive to red light. You can end up with a square of burned film.

Neil,

There is nothing fancy going on here. As you rotate the take-up spool the paper moves from left to right. The position of the window does not /directly/ affect the number of photos you take. The number of photos per roll is determined by your choice of film mask (6x4.5 vs 6x6). If you choose the 6x4.5 mask you set the window to 16 and if you chose 6x6 you set the window to 12. But that is only done so you can see the frame markings appropriate to your mask. There are multiple frame markings on the paper backing of 120 film depending on how you use 120 film. It really would be helpful if you just looked at an unrolled roll.

Or if you don't want to waste a roll of film (which is understandable), look at some of the tutorials on the web for loading a Holga. Google will help.