Camera companies should protect our investment .

chuck_t

Around 10 years ago, many considered the Leica M and Hasselblad kit were very

expensive and not afforable. The cost was about US 2650 for the M6 with a 50mm

lens which was as same as the Hasselblad 500CM kit.

Now, looking into the digital system, Canon is selling their body for US 8000,

Nikon is selling the D3 for US 5499, and the Hassy H3D is 20 grand. Pros are

still buying them.

The worst part is that digital machines do not hold any value. I do not mind

to spend my money on any Rolex watches but I need to think twice on spending

my money on a pro digital cameras.

What I am saying is that I think camera companies need a solid plan to protect

our investment on pro digital bodies so it does not become obsolete within

three years. For example, a "trade-in program" like Valentine One company is

doing for the expensive radar detectors. What it does is that we can upgrade

our old Valentine One detector for a newer version one without paying the full

price.

A modular Nikon system would be nice, if there is a digital back that can be

change and upgrade for the future.

I was informed buy a fellow professional photographer that if you cannot recover the expense of a new camera within 6 months after the purchase of the said "new camera" your are buying "too much camera for your investment". At the time I thought he was a blowing smoke, I know share the same philosophy and after shooting with a D2x for just over a year I cannot wait until my D3 is delivered next month.

Obviously camera manufacturers are doing quite well with the accelerated upgrade

atmosphere we now have to endure.

I have, however, wondered how much more they are having to spend on R&D to come up

with the next great thing every year.

I have a D2x, but shooting digital didn't change my life like some people. I was thinking

of selling the body and getting a smaller, cheaper DSLR to carry on treks along with a film

body. The last time I checked it had only 3,500 actuations in nearly 2 years, but the D2x

has already been de-valued with the introduction of the D3, and it isn't even available yet.

It's not worth losing $2,000+ on what I paid for it.

<i>What I am saying is that I think camera companies need a solid plan to protect our investment on pro digital bodies so it does not become obsolete within three years</i>

<p>

These "Camera Companies" are running a business where their objective is to maximise their shareholders value and not protect your investment. Hopefully, overtime both sides do converge. However, if you think about what youre asking for, theres not much on a DSLR body to be modular. With film it was somewhat different, you could keep changing the film type for years. In digital, apart from the viewfinder, not a lot would really lend itself to be modular. Even to go with a digital back, apart from adding excessive bulk, all youve really done is modularised the viewfinder. Probably not a lot gained.

The benchmark for a digital camera isn't resale value, it's savings over film. How many rolls of film do you need to buy, develop and scan before you hit the $5500 MSRP of the D3. And how do you put a price tag on the time savings? The instant feedback?

Even thought many of us use cameras as toys, they are (especially the ones you listed) professional equipment, designed, manufactured and sold as such. Buying/leasing gear is a business expense like any other. I don't expect the laptop I buy for $2500 today to be worth $2000 in 5 years - I'll be lucky to get $500 for it. Why should cameras be any different?

I waiting a long time to go to digital because of the gross obsolescence factor that initially seemed to attend the industry. But now that I can make beautiful 16X20 and even 20x30 prints (that I don't have wall-space for) with my D200 I don't mind about the fact that newer, bigger, better machines will come... The thing that kept film cameras from becoming obsolete was that the base media was the film, not the camera itself. Now that sensors have gotten so good, and passed a certain threshold, then buying a DSLR isn't likely to end in major disappointment at the inevitable progress. To me a D300 is attractive, not because of the 12mp, but better autofocus/noise at high ISO -- but so what, I can live without these things for a long while.

When I see $8K a pop wedding photographers shooting with 10 and 12MP cameras I feel the quality is now there to be worth a major investment for most other people.

Cameras are a tools that devaluate; not investments. <BR><BR>For a non-pro they have no return on investment; they are bought like a TV; lawnmower. They have a purpose but do not increase your income. Thus worrying about the NON- investment in a typical non pro situation is like worrying wether the new Britney CD is an investment; or buying an ipod; or a transformers toy; or 6 pack of beer. These products are consumed by consumers. Making them upgradable and modular would radically boost their pricing; fickle consumers won't pay 2 to 3 times extra for a LCD TV that can be upgraded in 2012; or a camera to be upgraded either. Digital cameras in the early 1990's were sometimes considered pro grade if VGA; and amateur if 1/4 VGA. Here I used a tethered VGA pro digtial once that cost many thousands. The 16 megs in one dream machine cost 1000 bucks later; many years after using that pro camera. Once we had a leased ISDN line for 600 bucks per month that was a cool 64k in speed; today a 56k dialup typically runs about 51k here on download. Once we bought a 286 for 5800 bucks. Once we bought a 468 beta unit to model magnettic recording for 10 thousand. One could have paid double these figures for a feel good programs to "protect ones investment"; so the extra 10 grand for the 468 would buy one future better computers. Just ask your camera dealer to double the price; have the extar amount invested in another Enron.:)

Digital cameras lose value quickly because electronic technology improves rapidly. Merely 2.5 years ago, the D2X was the state of the art, but today, the D3 (supposedly) has better AF, higher frame rate, and far superior low-light performance .... As a result, people are dumping the D2X for the D3. There is an over-supply of the D2X and the price drops drastically. That is simple economics. The only way to "protect" the price for the D2X is to not introduce the D3, and all of Nikon's competition cannot improve their DSLR either. That is simply not going to happen.

If you individually don't care about all the new improvements, just keep using your older DSLRs. Nobody forces you to buy a new camera every 1, 2, 3 ... years.

A professional nature photographer friend of mine used to spend $20K on film and processing per year. If you are a pro like that, even though you have to buy a new D3 every year, digital still means huge savings.

What Joseph wrote. The pro cameras are intended for those who invest in these tools

intending to make money with them. If you're not making money with it it's not truly an

investment, it's an expense of your hobby just like film was. If the drop in resale value is

more than you wish to endure, buy something less expensive.

<P>

Camera are now computers with lenses attached. Early computers were upgradeable to a

certain degree but the standard architecture has changed so much that now there are

hardly any parts interchangeable between a current model and one that's ten years old.

Would you be satisfied with an 500GB hard drive in a 300MHz computer? For a number of

years I was able to fool myself that I was upgrading my existing computer when in reality I

was gutting the functional bits and building a new computer inside an existing case.

<P>

If you really need to be on the cutting edge of camera technology there are

manufacturers to help you ;-) and there are plenty of students and those who are

satisfied with the trailing edge of technology who can keep your cast-off computer-

cameras busy for many years.

In response to, "I was informed buy a fellow professional photographer that if you cannot

recover the expense of a new camera within 6 months after the purchase of the said "new

camera...", I was told by several professionals you never really recover the cost of your

equipment, it's simply absorbed in the overall costs of the business over time. Maybe high

volume commercial photographers can recoup the costs relatively quickly, but I don't see

how many professionals can in the competitive market today.

Some interesting responses about companies "protecting their investment." Their

investment isn't the equipment, it's the customer, and as long as they can keep selling

equipment and maintain, or better increase, their marketshare, they're protecting their

investment. They make money by providing equipment you'll continue to buy and use, and

buy more as their introduce new products.

This is partly why they have so many low and middle line products which is frequently

updated. That's their profit, and the highend market is their name. And while they will

provide support and service for discontinued highend equipment, it's not as much aimed

at the service but the customer, to keep them and entice them to buy new equipment.

After all, how many Nikon F3 users bought a F4, F5 and F6 along with the D2-series

cameras?

Just some thoughts, and it's an interesting thread, thanks.

I've mentioned before - I leave buying the newest stuff to the technogeeks, and I then buy it off them a year or three later, hardly used, for peanuts! This way I have a camera that I can just use and use and use without worrying about scratching it, or crying everytime I hit another 100 on the shutter actuation count, or having sleepless nights as I lie there thinking about its value dropping while it's sitting in a cupboard.

Being a poor amateur (and wannabe "artist" :) ) I can do without the worry of equipment value. Of course if I was doing this for a living then perhaps I could justify the expense. As it is, I'm not worried about breakdowns as I have two 10Ds - each cost me no more than a replacement shutter, and each is low on shutter actuations.

I think it's good that there are people willing to spend thousands on new camera and change them after a year or two. And I'm more than happy for the first person's investment to devalue quick;y ;))

With regard to the radar detector tradein, I would have to ask what the company is doing with the old ones. If they're discarding them, that means that the list price of the equipment is padded out, above normal profit, by at least the amount of the tradein. Old customers may at least be getting a fair price, but likely no better than that, and it's a pretty poor bargain for the rest.

<p>Jeff said: <i>What kind of photos do your Rolex watches take?</i></p>

<p>I think this comment hits the nail on its head. People who actually use cameras to

produce something (commercial photography, art, whatever) have no problems with buying

an expensive camera that will become obsolete in two years. It's only those with no

applicable talent or those who use their camera as an expensive accessory that get screwed.

Those of us who use cameras to actually produce something naturally have reasons to be

contemptuous of those who equate their camera with Rolex watches.</p>

Yep, this has been a very fun read. I think the camera companies are doing better than they ever have. I can remember (years ago) talking to a Hasselblad rep. about how well his companies newest camera was doing. He said "not as well as I'd like. Hasselblads don't wear out." Well digital cameras don't really wear out befor they are discarded for the latest model, but they are discarded just the same.

For myself I will always be looking for the camera about to be set aside for the newest.