Thoughts on possible danger in photographing White-tailed bucks in rutting season

jeff_z.

At the real risk of sounding like a worry-wart, I would like to know what others think of my concerns,

and also to see if any of you have had any bad experiences, and/or close calls with animals, in

particular, deer.

Specifically, I've been photographing White-tailed Deer recently, and have been having good luck with

getting fairly close to mature bucks. As most probably know, this is rutting (breeding) season for them,

and their hormones are raging. About a week ago, I worked my way gradually closer and closer to a

decent sized buck, photographing the whole time. He seemed somewhat tolerant of my presence for

the most part, until I got within about 65 feet. He had a strange look in his eyes, and at that point was

very alert, looking at me with full attention with his forefeet close together, as if he might make a leap

(?), and my instincts kind of were warning me that he might charge. I continued quietly photographing

him (perhaps foolishly), and he held this position for a long moment. When he seemed to relax, I

moved on, adjacent and gradually away from him (he was just outside a woods). I'm guessing that he

finally caught my scent then-I'm postulating that he may not have know I was a human up until then-

because he showed some fright, and slipped into the woods.

I suppose I'm becoming more cautious as the years go on, and did an internet search on this topic. To

my surprise, there are several reported incidents of attacks, often fatal. It still seems quite rare, and in

several there were seemingly mitigating circumstances: a buck that it was later learned was illegally

raised by humans in Western Pa. that attacked a middle aged couple nearby, and had to be killed by

two state troopers in order to finally stop a prolonged and probably ultimately fatal attack. Their is also

a video on the net, showing a terrible and prolonged attack on a bow hunter. The hunter seemed like a

good sized man, but it seemed he could do nothing to defend himself. I'm guessing that there may

have been scent or some sort of lure involved here, and I beleive that I read something to that extent.

From my reading, it seems that deer that have been raised or fed by humans pose the greatest danger,

as they have to some extent lost their fear of humans. Apparently this was the case in the Western Pa

attack, and the people that raised this deer were convicted and fined. I should mention that the

troopers who saved this couple acted with considerable skill and bravery. One actually grabbed the

buck and lifted it off the woman, so as to get a clean shot, shot it, then the other officer killed it when it

moved away.

The only other possible consolation I can take from the incidents found through my internet search,

were that the majority of reported attacks and fatalities seemed to have occured in Texas and

California- I'm in west-central Jersey. Also, I think that they probably involved Mule Deer, not White-

tails, but am not sure about all..,but some have occured in the east, also.

Again, I feel a little wimpy even mentioning this concern. I have enjoyed hiking and photographing deer

for years, and hate to give it up. I never even gave it much of a thought until now.. I do remember many

years ago, coming across a buck on a trail while on horseback, and having to turn around, as he would

not move, but that's about my only other incident. And, I'm not one to try to get inordinately close, etc.,

although perhaps I did without realizing it with this buck..

It would be really good to hear about other experienced people's thoughts on this topic. One thing that

would give me some peace of mind for the future, would be if anyone knows of some sort of legal noise

maker, or anything that might serve as a safe deterrent in certain scenarios. I fear that even if one were

to use it though, it may not scare them off once they charge, because they seem to go temporily crazy,

thinking the intruder is a competitor, and apparently their intent is to actually kill. This, according to

one of the animal behavior people that I read.

Beyond birds and squirrels, no wildlife has ever attacked me. Large mammals have told me to go away in no uncertain terms, but making me back down has always satisfied them. You should be using a very long lens anyway because the photos will look better and you don't need to interact with the wildlife.

Yes, I am using a lens such as you describe, and perhaps I did get too close in this

circumstance. I guess one additional thing I am especially worried about is encountering a

buck at the peak of rutting season that has lost its fear of humans, like the one involved in

the Clinton Co., Pa. incident. This animal was raised (illegally) by humans, and this is a

scenario not impossible here, as this is an area or rural lands surrounded by massive new

suburbia. Many of these folks put out apples, hay, etc. to attract deer. Additional,

experienced, intelligent, thoughts and opinions would be very welcome. Thanks.

Oh my.. just carry an aluminum pan and bang on it if one starts to act aggressively. The point is to stip any attack before it is initiated.

I too have heard of bucks going a bit crazy in rut and sometimes attacking. Makes sense that ones raised by ppl and therefore basically unafraid, would be the biggest offenders.

However, most deer recognize their place in the food chain and most run when they see people and I think that is the norm.

Go forth and take photos in the wilderness and proceed with healthy respect (which is not fear). It is more likely you will get hurt falling over a log or a rack athan get attacked by a deer.

BTW I knew someone once who smuggled a gun into his tent in a National Park (where wildlife often is NOT afraid) because he had so much fear of animals (bears and such). My thinking is if you are that afraid that you would risk jail, you probably better stay home in your recliner watching the wildlife on Animal Planet....

I dunno. I think it's much ado about nothing. The videos you'll find on the Internet are Darwinism in action. Really, if you spread female deer pee on yourself, you kind of deserve what you get.

I've been sitting on my front porch smoking and had a buck come walking up the sidewalk to a point not more than 10ft from me. He hadn't seen me. It was rut season, and I suspect he had girl deer on his mind. I spoke to him, he looked at me, ran away about 20 ft, then continued in the general direction in which he was headed.

The deer in my area are used to seeing people, we're in a development next to a state park. But I doubt I'd say they have "lost their fear." I'd be more afraid of any sick animal (rabid, deer included) than a deer whose in the mood for love.

Jeff Z,

"...but definitely no hunting will be allowed this year."

Make sure you still wear visible colors. Poaching happens a lot more often than deer attacks on humans.

As for safety with the deer, keep your distance, don't smear yourself in deer urine, and I imagine you'll be fine.

Thanks all, I hear you. I never really considered this possible danger before, but as I

mentioned previously, this area has changed very much. Also, a few of the incidents that I

found through the internet search were especially troubling, and made me think about it.

There were a couple of them in particular, that seemed totally out of the blue.. Of course,

it's hard to know whether there were details left out that might put a whole different

meaning on these attacks.

Additional, thoughts and experiences that might make this possible issue more clear

would be very welcome. Also, if anyone doing similar photography, or other outdoor

activities, might have a suggestion for a safe and effective deterrent (non-firearm), I'd

really like to know. I'm asking this as much out of fear of an aggressive dog

attack, or feral dog attack, than anything else. I'm afraid that with the seeming

proliferation of these breeds, it's simply a matter of time in some of the places that I

frequent, or plan to, and I'm pretty much isolated while there. Thanks.

Jeff,

I am a bowhunter from Ohio (where the deer get up to 200+ lbs) and have been within 9 or 10 feet of several of them. Sometimes I get "busted" other times they just stroll by. As long as the wind is right, they cannot make out your outline, and you're set up where you know they will be, you can get very close. My goal is to be able to reach out and touch one!! I am sure that there are those that would say I am crazy but deer are the biggest scaredy cats there are.

Almost all of the deer attacks I have heard of have been in peoples back yards or in parks. The guy with the doe pee is an idiot; if your hunting the last thing you want is deer coming head long into your setup.

I have been too close to javalinas where the hackles on their back were starting to raise. Also I was on a workshop with Rod Planck when a moose cow with two calves were walking across the road. We got out and I started walking towards them (wildlife can be so mesmerizing; finally Rod said "Hey Jeff, that is a wild animal with 2 young ones to protect; don't you think you should stop?" Which I did; I just was caught up in the moment.

Another observation about this forum is it seems that no one thinks like hunters? If your going to shoot wildlife shots wouldn't you want to be as close as possible? I always did. I use to get my camos on including face cover and sit next to game trails and wait; I have had squirrels run over my lap! Being camoed up does have it's disadvantages- I had a red tail hawk land on a limb just above my head; pretty hard to move your tripod when you're that close.

I do envy you though; my F100 and $6000 in glass were stolen 4 years ago and I haven't had the money to replace them yet. I'll go digital when I get out of nursing school; but until then I really enjoy this forum and all that gets kicked around.

A deer walks into a bar......

Thanks

jeff hostetler

"I was on a workshop with Rod Planck when a moose cow with two calves were walking across the road. We got out and I started walking towards them (wildlife can be so mesmerizing; finally Rod said "Hey Jeff, that is a wild animal with 2 young ones to protect; don't you think you should stop?" Which I did; I just was caught up in the moment."

How about the folks I witnessed in ths Smoky Mountain Park this spring. You guessed it, they got out of their car to get a closer look at mama bear and her two cubs. The wife and I didn't stick around to see what might happen.

Hey Jeff, thanks very much for your response. Sorry to hear about your equipment loss.

Have you thought about getting film gear? So long as you ask the right questions and pay

with a credit card, some great deals are possible on the auction site- there are some real

bargains compared to what things used to cost. And from what I'm hearing, film will still

be around for quite awhile, with processing. I talked with Dwayne's Photo (only processor

of Kodachrome now, and they'll do a great job with either Kodak or Fuji emulsions) in

Parsons, KS, and they say that volumes are good. You can get film and Fuji mailers (they'll

work with Kodak E-6 film as well) from B&H for $4.99. All via the internet and US Mail.

Good luck with nursing school!!

Anyone else that has experiences or thoughts, please keep them coming.

How 'bout just carry a can of pepper spray? Works on bears. A deer is a fairly big animal, you don't have to be right on top of it to get a decent shot. I have a couple of deer antlers, I'm hoping to get out to some fields where I see a lot of deer and try a bit of "rattling" to bring them out. I also plan to be either up a tree or beside my truck with an open door when I try this stunt. I'm more worried about hunters than the deer.

THIS is what you need to worry about. Mother bear and cubs

http://www.photo.net/photo/6372676

been there, done that... still alive... slowly backed up out of the way and took some pictures.

Pepper spray is way, way over-rated.

You want real defense? Carry a marine air horn, had one for years never had to use it 'for real' until couple months ago. Full size big old Moose refused to share the narrow trail, kept coming closer and would have trampled over me since I had no where to go.

I pointed the Air Horn (approx. 110-120 decibels) at the moose and let it rip. 1000++ pounds of moose actually jumped a bit in surprize and crashed into the bush, then I proceeded down the trail.

Legal, won't spray back in your face and cheap... the Holy Shirt, I have never heard that noise before is the main advantage.

My personal experience with Deer is if they snort repeatedly or make a high pitched wheezing sound through their nose, back off. It seemd like a clear warning sound to me.

Look through my portfolio, couple hundred Outdoor/mountain shots over couple a decades and nary a scratch, knock wood. The LAST animal I would worry about is a Deer.

Rose-Marie B, I think you're correct to be more worried about hunters than the deer.

Definitely wear orange, etc.

I'm more worried about the improbable, but possible

chance in this area of meeting up with a "tamed", or human-acclimated buck in rutting

season, as was mentioned earlier. The pepper spray might work in the possible deer

scenarios I envision, however, I'm told by a postal service trainer that it will only make an

aggressive breed of dog more enraged.

Also, if you do what you mentioned, keep in mind

that this is rutting season, buck's hormones are raging; the survivors of the attacks that I

read about talked about the seemingly extreme speed of the charges, so please keep your

eyes open and look behind you, too. Thanks.

I grew up in the woods of Missouri, have hunted deer since 1982, and see them regularly. I wouldn't worry about it. What you don't want to do is smear deer scent on yourself. And yes, do wear orange during deer season. I regularly catch people hunting on my land during deer season that sneak in. The only thing that worries me about having deer around is that where I live, there might be a mountain lion there too. That's a different deal!

Kent in SD

Paying attention to body language is very important. Deer don't see colors like we do, their

eye is better developed for nocturnal vision and thus don't see colors as well. Getting close

to a deer when a deer doesn't know exactly what you are the deer usually exhibits certain

behavior that can sometimes tell you what they are doing. An inquisitive deer will

generally have their ears spread wide and use them like a parabolic microphone,

sometimes moving them independently, sometimes focusing them in one direction. The

deer is trying to overcome it's vision limitations and determine what they are looking at.

Once the deer has detected where the alert is it will almost always spead it's ears out wide

to hone in on the area. It may also lift a front leg and stomp it on the ground trying to

force a reaction in the object that alerted it. It may also let our a snort by expelling air out

of it's nose. This is almost always nonagressive behavior, just the deer trying to i.d. the

object of alert. The deer at that point will snort and bolt, or lower it's alert level and go

back to browsing. If the deer raises it's tail half way and waves it with the brown portion of

the tail showing, it is anouncing to the other deer that maybe near by that it is lowering

it's alert behavior and will quickly return to browsing. If it raises it's tail fully and exposes

the white portion and waives it, there is a good chance he will bolt and offer an alert snort

to any other deer that maybe in the area.

A deer with it's ears swept back, intense eyes and hair standing up along the spine is a

deer that is exhibiting aggressive behavior. Additionally, it may make a grunt-snort-

wheeze, which is a combo of vocalizations that is associated with aggressive behavior.

These are good indications that it might be time to get out of the situation. Of course,

your mileage may vary, but paying close attention to body language is the best way to

assess what type of behavior you can expect. I have never had an issue, but if I'm ever

charged I plan to bark like a dog in hopes that will deter the deer. Btw, my observations

are based on whitetail deer and I cannot say if they apply to any other deer.

Thanks again for the additional responses!

Kent, you've made me feel more comfortable, and your viewpoint is one I've always shared,

until reading about the animals that have been "domesticated" by suburbanites feeding

them, which is possible around here. I will definitely not use any scents or lures-thanks!

Did you happen to see that video on the internet of the bowhunter being attacked? It

should definitely disuade anyone from doing something like that, although I'm not sure he

was using scent- does anyone know?

Brian, thanks very much! That's very interesting and helpful information.

Joshua, thanks for the add'l. marine air horn info.- they're definite pluses. Any suggestion

as to where

to buy, and which model. Ideally, it would be small enough to fit into my camera

bag, yet still have adequate performance, and not be made in China for moral/

environmental

reasons.

Also, anyone have any experience with aggresive dogs?

Thanks all, and please keep any new responses/experiences coming! Jeff